BC's with "Elevator" Lever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seriously, lets get this thread back on topic:

You will die if you use the i3
DIR-trained sea lions
Merit of using a spirit level on your BCD to achieve horizontal trim
Suicide clips

I doubt it will do much for rjp's inflated ego, what with his "trim" and all, he seems to believe that he already has it all figured out and is a great legend and diver in his own mind.

Quite the opposite, actually. Though, at a minimum I've not repeatedly claimed to have "mastered bouyancy" while repeatedly providing photographic evidence to the contrary.

:D

I just like sparring with Mike. Anyone who can keep this thread going for 362 posts (to date) without slinking off deserves the attention.

Anyone who can keep this thread going for 362 posts (to date) without slinking off deserves attention.

Agree. Mike is a real diver. He is diving in the world class conditions in Northern California and he gets in the water frequently. Mike does deserve attention and some real dialog .

I'm back.

Since this thread somehow got into suicide clips I have a question.
I think everybody understands the logic behind why suicide clips should never be used for scuba diving, instead bolt snaps should be used.

OK, why only stainless bolt snaps? I've been using brass bolt snaps from the beginning and don't see the logic behind only being able to use stainless. Brass snaps have the same exact stainless spring inside and I've never had one fail.

Is this just another "you have to use these to be DIR compliant" things or is there another reason.
Could one of you koolaiders please explain.

Won't this thread ever die ???
:11: :lotsalove:

RJP,
Where can I get a floatie like the one in your avatar?

I'm back.

Since this thread somehow got into suicide clips I have a question.
I think everybody understands the logic behind why suicide clips should never be used for scuba diving, instead bolt snaps should be used.

OK, why only stainless bolt snaps? I've been using brass bolt snaps from the beginning and don't see the logic behind only being able to use stainless. Brass snaps have the same exact stainless spring inside and I've never had one fail.

Is this just another "you have to use these to be DIR compliant" things or is there another reason.
Could one of you koolaiders please explain.

I do not drink the KoolAid.

Use SS boltsnaps or you will slice your thumb to ribbons.

If you have not sliced yourself yet, give it time - the brass slide turns the edges of the brass slot into a knifeblade.

All the best, James

I do not drink the KoolAid.

Use SS boltsnaps or you will slice your thumb to ribbons.

If you have not sliced yourself yet, give it time - the brass slide turns the edges of the brass slot into a knifeblade.

All the best, James

We used to use brass bolt snaps and they seemed to work ok. Then...my wife kept getting slits cut in the thumb of her expensive dry gloves. She would patch them and the next thing you knew they'd be cut open again. We were having trouble figuring out how it was happening until one day I went to open a snap barehanded and cut my thumb open.

That said, I don't know that all brass snaps will do that.

fgog,
Thanks for the heads up on the brass knifeblade. I don't drink the koolaid; but I was just about to go out and buy some brass snap bolts to carry some gear. I have some SS bolts; but I thought the brass might stand up better to corrosion. After reading this, I will stick with my SS. Thanks for the info.

I am still pondering that photo of you with the exhaust valve on the deltoid. Interesting. I know about 8 dry suit divers around here in Texas; and every one of has a valve on the bicep. I'll get you a photo some time. And you are right. It's troublesome to exhaust while trimmed horizontal. I just but about have to halt all activity and tip myself vertical in the water to vent.

Mike,
Don't mean to keep hijacking your thread and throwing every body off on a tangent. Besides, I find this thread to be quite entertaining by now.

Hand Grenade ! ! ! I just LOVE split fins ! ! ! Ha!

You could always use the butt dump, but you would have to hassle with reaching all the way down to pull that damned string....

Kinda late jumping in here, but I find the "butt dump" a more efficient dump than an inflator. If my trim is proper, then using the inflator is more of a contortion act than reaching back and tugging the cord once or twice. Plus, more of the air is back there in the wing than up by my shoulder. Although I've been advised not to, I still like to use the shoulder dump (pull down on inflator) when doing initial (heads-up) descent. From then on, I'm pretty much horizontal and parallel with the surface or bottom, so the butt vent works great. JMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom