Becoming a technician

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am interested in taking classes to become a tech for scuba gear, repairing, rebuilding, maintenance of gear. I am an electrician and have worked in technical fields but enjoying being around diving so much that I want to see about taking some courses to be able to get a job in a shop and work on gear. Any leads on how to go about finding the course is appreciated. As to what I want to start with doesnt matter, regs, bcd's, tanks, repairing exsposure suits, again just want a starting point.

Thanks

As far as I know you have to be trained by each regulator manufacturer to be certified to service their regs, I'm not 100% sure about that though!

The repair of exposure suits (replacing drysuit seals, finding leaks, patching them, and patching wetsuits etc) is a more widely documented topic and can be studied online.

I'd start with three books from Airspeed Press, if you haven't already, to wit:
SCUBA Regulator Maintenance and Repair, Vance Harlow
The Oxygen Hacker's Companion, Vance Harlow
Wetsuit and Drysuit Maintenance and Repair, Steven Lindblom

As I understand it, most manufacturers want you to be associated with (generally meaning "on staff at") a shop before they'll let you attend the courses. Kind of a Catch-22 situation, and I've run into that wall myself. As much as I like my Sherwoods, my next regs will be from a company that won't force me to acquire parts via shady back-room dealing.

The books I've mentioned will at least give you a place to start, perhaps re-working regs other folks have written off. The knowledge gained might help you get "in" with your LDS, as you wouldn't really be starting from zero.

I'd start with three books from Airspeed Press, if you haven't already, to wit:
SCUBA Regulator Maintenance and Repair, Vance Harlow
The Oxygen Hacker's Companion, Vance Harlow
Wetsuit and Drysuit Maintenance and Repair, Steven Lindblom

As I understand it, most manufacturers want you to be associated with (generally meaning "on staff at") a shop before they'll let you attend the courses. Kind of a Catch-22 situation, and I've run into that wall myself. As much as I like my Sherwoods, my next regs will be from a company that won't force me to acquire parts via shady back-room dealing.

The books I've mentioned will at least give you a place to start, perhaps re-working regs other folks have written off. The knowledge gained might help you get "in" with your LDS, as you wouldn't really be starting from zero.

take an o2 blending/tec course that cert should get your parts for you and give you gas blending including trimix. i think i paid 250 for mine. your big issue will be getting all the equipment.

as far as being certified to work on regulators, i'm almost certain you have to go to that manufacturers school. For instance, I am a DACOR (not around anymore) and Oceanic service tech. I went to Dacor and Oceanic school (actually, they came to me). I know you can get these courses at the DEMA show.

Dema show is for Dive professionals, so is the regulator etc. courses. I suppose if a shop wanted you to fix their regulators for them, then you would not have to already be working with them.
in general the parts are sold through the shops so the technicians are also. I am taking a class this weekend to repair the Oceanic line through the shop I teach at. first preference is given to Instructors and DMs but you never know a shop may want you on their staff. talk to you LDS.:D

Rebuilding regs is easy, you just needs to have the repair manuals. Brand for brand, most are just clones of each other- Ex. Most balance diaphragm 1st stages are similar in design

Here is where you can find repair manuals for most regulators

www.frogkick.dk - /

Problem is, you won't be able to get parts. Gotta work for a dealer to get ligitimate repair kits. Try it if you want, and bring it to me when you lose a part. lol
Steve

Problem is, you won't be able to get parts. Gotta work for a dealer to get ligitimate repair kits. Try it if you want, and bring it to me when you lose a part. lol
Steve

Getting parts can be a problem but not at all impossible. Some regulator manufacturers are starting to make parts available to USA consumers (most are available in Europe now). Service parts for most popular regs are available on ebay, some at very reasonable prices. And a few LDSs would rather do some business with you than have you take that business elsewhere. But it is not like buying a candy bar at the corner store.

BTW, what is a legitimate repair kit?

Getting parts can be a problem but not at all impossible. Some regulator manufacturers are starting to make parts available to USA consumers (most are available in Europe now). Service parts for most popular regs are available on ebay, some at very reasonable prices. And a few LDSs would rather do some business with you than have you take that business elsewhere. But it is not like buying a candy bar at the corner store.

What brands do you refer to that are starting to sell directly? Aqualung, scubapro, oceanic and probably Sherwood will only sell parts to dealers directly, for sure. If you are finding parts elsewhere, they are not 'legitimate' and from Europe or shops going out of business. Good luck with parts coming from overseas- never know what youll get. A customer brought in a BRAND NEW regulator they got from the Internet (overseas) with a cut main piston ring. RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. I fixed it and he paid for labor and kit.

I'd . As much as I like my Sherwoods, my next regs will be from a company that won't force me to acquire parts via shady back-room dealing.

Good luck with that- you'll end up with no-name bottom of the line regs. most new regs have free parts for life anyway. *(Sherwood has some of the most reasonable prices for repair kits of any reg I know of)

...BTW, what is a legitimate repair kit?

Shady backroom deals is not legitimate to me. BTW- are you selling parts on Ebay?

. your big issue will be getting all the equipment.

Depends what regulator you have but your right. Reg companies LOVE to create specialty tools that are necessary to test and tune some models. The AL Air Source comes to mind. Id guess that you will have the same hurdles getting these tools as you will with part kits.

Back
Top Bottom