Becoming an Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ditto.... and the new program has a lot of new courses like dive science, and then you get to move on. I would also definately reccomend the stress and rescue it will teach you about yourself and what others are capable of in stressful situations

As a dive guide, my suggestions are like the others; dive,dive,& then dive some more. I have been a PADI dive master for several years,30 tropical islands,1000's of dives,met 1000's of interesting divers, but never considered being an instructor. I dive for a living,not teach for a living. I would rather be in the water not standing on the beach. I hope you enjoy your journey as much as I have mine. Still going strong....I will be 60 next year.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Arkman, I understand the timing thing also. Self employed, you work for the client on their schedule. You just need to figure out some time.
You're a bit far away for me to join you during the week (TC area), but when there's a will there's a way.
With SSI starting their dive guide/dive master program, that might be a way to see if the pro level is something you want to investigate into.
I don't believe that there is any king of "crossover" to worry abut because of being certified with a different agency. That only has to be dealt with after having your pro level cert.
And as everyone else has said, just try to log more; different places, different dives. Definately get your stress & rescue.

We make it down to the twin cities a lot. Both my wife and I are from Coon Rapids so we head down all the time. During the summers I'm always looking to dive when we are in the area. Let me know if you ever want to head out!

For someone like yourself, I would reccommend just hanging out at dive shops, ask if you can help, see if they will show you how to fill tanks, fit masks and general shop stuff. As people call or come in with questions, you will be there to hear what the pro's are telling them, you will gain alot of good info just by listening. As previously stated if you show the initiative, perhaps the shop owner or manager will provide some of that needed training as a thank for helping out. It is really no big deal to add someone into the next Advanced Open Water or Rescue diver class, those usually are never at max anyways. The benefit for the shop owner is he knows he trained you to his/her standards and would most likely turn to you in a time of need.

hope this helps,

brian

There are two courses that I absolutely recomend. Navigation and Night/limited viz. Navigation because when you are working with students and go off on tours, you need to know where something is, how to get to it and get back. It's not fun doing a bunch of long surface swims if you have the air to dive. Night and limited viz because, well lets face it students tend to be on the bottom stirring it up making it hard to see. Being trained and comfortable in a limited viz enviroment is a big plus. Something else to consider is nitrox. Depending on how the shop you would affilate with after becoming an instructor conducts their check out dives, you could be doing a lot of ups and downs and the nitrox will help with the nitrogen load you would take on and you wouldn't be as tired. The following is taken from the 2011 training standards for Dive Guide which is the first step in the SSI leadership sepectrum.

Prerequisites:• Be at least 18 years old.
• Own a Total Diving System of professional type and
quality.
• Have a current medical exam for scuba diving not
older than 1 year and signed by a licensed medical
practitioner.
• Hold an Advanced Open Water Diver certification
or equivalent.
• Logged no less than 40 open water dives totalling 25
hours or more.
• Have logged significant experience in the following
Specialty programs: Navigation, Night/Limited
Visibility, Deep Diving, and Boat Diving.
• Have completed the Diver Stress and Rescue
program.

I'm not sure how closely SSI makes sure you have the experience in the areas listed above, for example I am a DiveCon and I don't have a boat diving certification, but I have done numerous boat dives. So I would recomend taking the classes that they say you need experience in, as well as nitrox. Finally as everyone else has said, dive, dive, dive. Just get the experience and you will be well on your way to meeting your goal.

Back
Top Bottom