Been getting conflicting imformation! HELP!

Knife or no Knife

• Knife

Votes: 30 96.8%
  • NO Knife

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SemperFi

Reaction score
I am brand new to the wonderful world under the surface. to the point that I have (I completed the certification as of 2 days ago!) I have most of my gear and am ready to go, however I have eld back on one thing. The dive knife. I have been told that it is not needed. however I have also been told that it is very important. So my question is which is it? and if I do need to go out and pechase one what do I REALLY need in the knife.

Please help me out here PLEASE!! I would appreciate all the help I can get.

Also if there are any divers from the south east texas area I am looking for a few local sites to hold me over till I get Some time off and head out to... (to be determined!)

SemperFi

Entanglements happen and you need a way to get yourself out..you can also use shears if you prefer, but you need to have at least one cutting device on you.

Knife and/or shears. You'll need something in case of entanglement.

My personal preferance is shears. I have actually cut myself underwater trying to get my knife back in its sheath. Lake water stings badly when entering into a fresh cut. You absolutly need some sort of cutting device though. Entanglements do happen and rumor has it a knife will not cut the super fishing lines like gorilla braid and spiderwire. A knifes andvantages are you can pry things with them, however I have never used one for this purpose and have never seen it done.

No doubt, you need a knife or similar divice. It´s small and cheap piece of gear that can get you out of trouble. Infact some diving certifications have it as mandatory.
But, knife (and gloves) are forviden in the red sea!
Enjoy your diving!

one thing I did forget to mention is that companies like dive-rite are making tools called the z knife which has a very small exposed cutting surface. This is great for getting free from entanglements without having to worry about cutting yourself.

One, preferably two, in case you drop it when most needed. I carry two pairs of EMT shears - one in a sheath, one in a pocket. Much easier to use single handed than a knife - a knife requires something to pull the line that you're cutting tight, a pair of shears can snip loose line.

I carry a small dive knife and EMS shears. I may not be able to reach one or the other depending how I get entangled, but if that happens, I should be able to reach the other.

BTW, I prefer the shears and welcome to the wonderful world of diving.

I used to carry shears and a knife, until I lost the knife (does anyone know what to do with an empty sheath?), so it is just shears for me. Out here in California a cutting device is mandatory equipment because of the kelp. Chances are you will be entangled here and you should be able to cut yourself free.

Always carry shears and a knife; the shears for clearing entanglements and the knife for making sandwiches during the surface interval.:D

I prefer a blunt tipped BC knife to reduce the possibility of stabbing bladder, drysuit, or myself. In any case, if you dive anywhere that fishing takes place or lines are run it’s important to have a way to cut yourself free. Snips are probably best for this; I carry a knife as a backup.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom