Been getting conflicting imformation! HELP!

Knife or no Knife

• Knife

Votes: 30 96.8%
  • NO Knife

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shears on left shoulder strap (low - can reach with either hand easily).

z-knife on right sholder strap (high - left hand reach - can also reach with right hand but it's harder in the drysuit).

knife on inside of right calf when wetsuiting (can easily reach with either hand).

knife built into right thigh when drysuiting (right hand only).

ALWAYS carry at least 1 cutting device.

I, like many others, carry a knife on my harness and a pair of shears in my pocket. I did pick up one of those cool Tekna knives for my Goodman handle too ( thanks for the link Eric. :D ) I think that at least one cutting device is mandatory on every dive. I would even carry one on a snorkeling venture if I still did them:D Entanglement hazards are everywhere, why not have the ability to get out of them quickly and efficiently?

I am also fairly new to scuba diving, but I've been snorkling for years and have always had some sort of a cutting device. I currently have a Blunt tip knife made by OMS, and a really great device called a Res-Q hook made by Benchmade. The Res-Q hook is like a sturdier version of the Z knife. I'm an EMT and I use it alot at work too. Here is the link to one site that has them. It's a pretty good deal, they usually go for about $25-$30.

http://www.safetyleague.com/slstore/access/Benchmade/model5rescuehook.htm

here is the link to the OMS knife as well

http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...6&cgrfnbr=968&parentCategory=965&sort=prsdesc

You're in Houston, I see... which means you're likely diving in the Gulf... which means you're likely diving where folks fish for king fish, which means there's likely stainless steel piano wire leader about.
Carry shears.
Carry a knife as well if you like, but carry shears.
Rick

I prefer to dive with both a blunt tipped knife and a piar of sheers as well. You should at least get a pair of sheers for safety--they're so cheap and could save your life. If you start with sheers there is a pretty good chance that you could find a decent knife on the bottom of wherever it is you like to dive :)

On my vacation I dove in Lake Travis. Very nice lake to go diving in, conditions when I was there: Temp 73F Vis about 8ft, but I am from VA quarrys so no big deal. The location that I dove was right next to the Travis Dam. The turbines can be a little noisey underwater, but u will get use to it. I would highly recomend Lake Travis Dam dive site. Other places to look at are Medina Lake, Other sites in Travis, Canyon Lake, fresh water springs and of course the Gulf of Texas wreck diving. Have fun and congrads.
Tekkie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom