Been to Bonaire 10 times but this trip got some stuff stolen..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the police concentrate in the downtown more urban areas. I never saw any in the rural areas where the majority of the shore dive sites are concentrated. I think they take a more "blame the victim" sort of attitude. If you are dumb enough to not heed all of the warnings about leaving valuables in a parked vehicle then....

Hi All,

We had our meeting with the police chief this past week and I will be posting the minutes/results of this meeting soon. I think that you will see that change will be happening.

Liz

Does anyone know how many police are actually on duty at any give time? Two weeks ago when we were there we seen two police officers our entire trip, both on foot. We did a lot of driving around and exploring, we were suprised not to see more.

the police have to be on the "take".

Bonaire only has like 13,000 people on it. It's a very small population island. much like the population of a small US Town.

if they police and local officials wanted to put a stop to this, they could. but they choose not to.

it's as simple as that.

Liz--As always, thanks for the "real scoop" on what's happening there. From a previous post of yours it was insightful to be reminded that the Dutch do take a different view of things--and not always what Americans would like (which isn't to say the police condone petty crime, just that they aren't quite so amped about it). Still, it's encouraging to know the police are at least now talking to folks in the tourist trades and that something may come of it. Thanks again! (I wasn't sure where I'd hide my wet smelly dive towel next time! :eyebrow: ) // ww

Hi All,

We had our meeting with the police chief this past week and I will be posting the minutes/results of this meeting soon. I think that you will see that change will be happening.

Liz

Liz... this is good news. I missed this post when I posted my reply.

hopefully we'll see something change.

I'm not so worried about someone stealing a towel out of the truck as I am someone snagging my laptop or my DSLR out of my room in Bonaire. I can learn to keep stuff out of the truck.

There has been a recent increase in car break ins in Curacao as well. Don't know why.

We were lucky and no one took anything while we were there, but many locations in Curacao have paid entry and more people around so that may have helped.

The thieves will take anything...no way to say what is safe. I met a guy who had his flip-flops taken from his truck.

Sasscuba, sorry about your "loss." I know what you mean, it isn't necessarily the value as much as the feeling of being victimized. We don't leave anything of value either but the whole thing is irritating.

I am curious about whether your insurance covered the broken glove box and ashtray? I have not quite figured out how things like that are covered there.

what I find funny is the rash of "spare tire thefts" that sometimes happen.

this is the way I see it.

1.) someone rents a truck/car
2.) Thief steals spare tire off rental vehicle
3.) renter goes to turn the truck in only to find he has to pay for the spare tire that is missing and it's not covered by the insurace
4.) thief sells spare tire to "tire dealer" on the island.
5.) rental agency goes and buys new, used, or the same spare tire from tire dealer
6.) cycle continues with next renter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom