Before they're gone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yep, we are losing them....

another way is they are being buried in silt/mud/mussel poo

Consequences. I hope they do well.

@Jared0425 are you involved with this? Looks like a job for Voyis with their laser scanner assuming the light from the surface doesn't interfere (a consultant with OARS told me that the Voyis Insight needs to run in darkness). There is that photogammetry system they have recently released which may be a good option, better than traditional photogammetry methods.

@Jared0425 are you involved with this? Looks like a job for Voyis with their laser scanner assuming the light from the surface doesn't interfere (a consultant with OARS told me that the Voyis Insight needs to run in darkness). There is that photogammetry system they have recently released which may be a good option, better than traditional photogammetry methods.
A little bit. We shared some wrecks with Ken and his crew to document some of finds. Andrew Goodman is the champion when it comes to making the deeper wrecks work.

The wrecks that we have collaborated together on so far that are published:

Metropole
Clifton
2021 Steamer (mistakenly identified as the Water Witch but is probably the Troy or Bucephalus)

In the works but not finished.

Keystone State
Edward Demmer
Waverly
Frank Goodyear
H.P. Bridge

YeAH ballast water of international cargo ships bringing stuff we used to make, or crap we don't need

Just like the middle aisles at ALDI

Should seriously shut the gate for 100 years and turn off the television, unless MacGyver is on

YeAH ballast water of international cargo ships bringing stuff we used to make, or crap we don't need

Just like the middle aisles at ALDI

Should seriously shut the gate for 100 years and turn off the television, unless MacGyver is on
Hippy, you’re confusing container ships with bulk carriers. Containers are almost non-existent on the Great Lakes. The ships are too big to get through the Welland Canal, which bypasses Niagara Falls. It’s thought the mussels were in the ballast water of a Russian ship in the 80s.

Hippy, you’re confusing container ships with bulk carriers. Containers are almost non-existent on the Great Lakes. The ships are too big to get through the Welland Canal, which bypasses Niagara Falls. It’s thought the mussels were in the ballast water of a Russian ship in the 80s.
A Soviet grain convoy of bulk carriers in 1985 is the cause of the mussel infestation.

This guy said it and I read it see

colin-butler.jpg

"Now, the deterioration of these underwater relics has not just been accelerated by more frequent and intense storms believed to be driven by climate change, but through the colonization of the lakes by invasive zebra and quagga mussels from Europe, likely introduced in the Great Lakes through ballast water of international cargo ships."

Now I have had a fascination with those long bulk carriers with wheelhouse front and a box on the back
for years

Which one broke in two where one of the crew tried to jump the breach didn't make it with many others

The coolest were the Huletts

Good on ya Mr Hulett

Back
Top Bottom