Beginner course and diving in CR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sana D

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello, my husband and I are planning our first trip to CR (8 days in end of Dec 2018). We have never gone scuba diving before. We're both good swimmers. We are planning to do the classroom and pool training in California, and would like to do the ocean dive part in CR during our visit. We have not yet finalized our plan for the CR and can plan around the certification and other dives. What areas and operators do you recommend? I suppose of the 8 day trip we'd like to keep no more than 3 for diving. Will appreciate any guidance on the best way to go about this!

I haven't been there so can't help with local details. I would say make sure you can be flexible on which days you dive, because stuff happens. So if you're based one place and can dive any day that's good. But if you're planning to be exactly 3 days where you can dive, then planning on heading inland for the rest of your trip, you might not have enough flexibility if things don't go your way.

I'd also dive more than 3 days, but that's me. If you just learned, immediately doing a few more dives to practice and reinforce things is good. If you do only the training dives, then come home and don't dive for too long, you'll practically be starting over next time. Any additional diving you can get in may help. Do you plan to dive locally at home at some point?

Last edited:
While the additional exposure protection needed for the colder California water can make training tad more 'challenging,' it'd be a good intro. to regional diving near you that can be quite good, and free you up to focus in vacation fun when you head to Costa Rica. I don't know how much you've explored the California dive scene; before my trip, I compiled some research notes that might help. If a shark of dolphin swims by, do you want to be clearing your mask, or doing a fin pivot or air share?

What part of California? Southern vs. Northern makes a difference.

Richard.

Oceans Unlimited down in Quepos, Rocket Frog in Guanacaste.

I liked Rocket Frog Divers, they have a few locations around Playa Del Coco. I've dove in some nice places but I like Costa Rica the best. Visibility isn't the greatest, but there is a lot to see. Land based activities are pretty awesome too. I'm heading back for the 3rd year in row this summer.

Isn't it just the 4 dives you would have to complete in CR? That can be done over 2 days.

Pacific Coast Dive Center in Playa Flamingo area. Good safe friendly people.

I recommend staying in Manuel Antonio for part of your trip. Lots to do there - white water rafting, hiking, nature trails, rappelling). For a couple of days, drive down to Uvita and dive with Mad About Diving. Great folks. There's not a lot of dive spots in CR, but Cano Island was great. Lots of pelagics and some sharks. Don't expect large sponges and corals like in the Caribbean.

If you do decide to go to the northern Pacific, then Rocket Frog (previously mentioned) is very competent. I didn't have great dives, but a hurricane had come by a couple of weeks before me and the viz was still pretty bad. Not a lot to do in the immediate area, but a few hours to the east is La Fortuna and Arenal. Fantastic zip lines, awesome rappelling through water falls, hot springs and plenty of other things to do.

If you want to do the Caribbean, you will probably need to go to Puerto Viejo. Long drive, and not a lot of things to do. My friends loved the snorkeling there. I guess I got out of the water a little too soon.

CR is a great country with plenty to do and is very safe. Have fun!

I dove with Sirenas Diving in Playa del Cocos (Guanacaste) and thought they were very good. There was a young woman on board who was doing her final ocean dive for her certification and she seemed very happy with her choice. Rocket Frogs also has a very good reputation but I have not used them. I just did the local dives and thought they were great. We also did a lot of snorkeling on the North end of Playa Hermosa--we just could not seem to stay away from that spot.

We were there in August and it was quite humid. I wished I had brought a hand towel with me everywhere I went.

If you decide to go on any tours I can't say enough good things about Mardigi Tours. We went on a river cruise in the jungle and saw crocodiles and monkeys etc but afterwards we discovered there were monkeys in the trees right next to where we were staying. Fireflies, too.

Also, a surprising number of places accept US currency and the cash registers were even set up for US dollars, but often you will get your change in Colones, the local currency, which was OK with me because they have some really great-looking money! Nobody seemed to give us other than the current exchange rate. We never felt the need to get Colones from an ATM but when in Mexico we always get pesos.

For us the biggest surprise in CR was the prices--very high for most everything which was not what we expected. We plan to visit again soon. It is a very beautiful place and we met lots of nice people.

!Pura Vida!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom