beginner question-wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I posted this earlier on another forum but no answer yet...not sure about how fast things happen on scubaboard...
Hi everyone,
I have been reading alot on the forums and wanted to post this in the basic scuba discussions but it directed me here...I'm from Tampa Fl area and now living in Orlando.
I bought a 1/2mm one piece suit for the warmer periods, but was told that would not be thick enough here in Florida. First all, what is 1/2mm. Is that just .5m, or diff thickness in torso vs extremities?
What would be a good thickness for most the dives in Atlantic/Gulf of Mexico (lower half of Fl)? Can I use the 1/2mm? I dont think I would want to dive in the cooler months but I am new so will see?
Last question- I bought another wetsuit on EBay and it is at least 2x thicker than the 1/2mm. I dont plan to dive in the springs alot. Can I just wear the 1/2mm under the thicker suit. Seems to fit ok? Will that be sufficient for the Springs if I also buy a hooded vest?
Sorry for the ignorance here, but trying not to get to many wetsuits and spend$
Thanks for the advice.

This is a somewhat difficult question to answer because everyone's tolerance for cold is somewhat different. If a Canadian went to North Carolina right now, they'd be very warm. If someone from Miami did the same, they'd be bundled up. It's all relative.

The basic rule of thumb I tend to see is 3mm suits down to about 78-80F water. 5mm wetsuits down to about 68-72F water, and 7mm wetsuits below that. That said, I know people who dive 3mm wetsuits in 65F water and have no issues at all. I also know people who dive 5mm in 80F water.

Do keep in mind that wetsuits have a useful life. They do compress over time and don't offer the warmth they did when new. So a 5 year old wetsuit won't insulate nearly as well as it did when new. That 5 year old 5mm wetsuit may not even be as warm as a new 3mm one.

Fit is critical in buying a suit. The idea is to not let the water out once it gets in. And to keep the water spaces inside the suit as small as possible. So the suit should fit snugly, but shouldn't be over restrictive. Pay attention to the underarm and lower back areas. Gaps in those places mean cold water. Also think about getting a hood. You lose a LARGE portion of body heat through you head and protecting it should be a priority once you get below 75-80F water.

For FL diving, I'd get a 3mm and a 5mm with a hood. This should cover you nicely for nearly all your diving. You can wear that 1/2 under the 5mm if you decide to go to the springs.

I started with a 3/2mm for ocean diving.

It gets a bit cold in the deep of winter (such as it is in FL...) and I bought a drysuit. The other people in the boat do fine with 5mm suits and hoods.

I also have a hooded 7mm that keeps me warm on 2 hour dives in the springs.

Why don't you use what you have for a bit and then upgrade (or not) when the weather changes? You have a month or two to experiment and see what everyone else does.

Regards,
Peter

I'm in Florida, and what PerroneFord said was right on the money. Everyone is different. I bought a 3mm full suit and a 3mm shorty and plan on using those for all my dives. I can tolerate the 68 degree water of the springs in just the 3mm full, but my wife needs both pieces. As for diving in the Gulf, the 3mm is overkill for most months, but it's nice to have protection from scrapes and stings. You may be good in the 0.5mm for warm water diving. I think the best advice is to get several pieces that you can mix and match depending on the temperature and your tolerance levels.

I just bought a Large Action Plus 7mm farmer john and jacket for $20.00 off Ebay. It looks brand new, and has only been worn a few times.
I have never worn this brand, and never owned a wetsuit.

I usually wear a large when I rent, and it is usually a bit snug, but this jacket feels so tight I thought my arms were going to fall off. I could barely move them.

I don't think this is normal, but as I have only rented, I assume the rental suits are well worn, and looser. I have no experience with a new suit.

When we were in the Keys last year, I wore a 1-MM suit which was fine. Most people wore a shorty or no suit at all. This was in August.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom