Belize: Death of Corey Monk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you dive with a buddy, during pre dive check out he will see you do not have the proper gear and either tell you get the right gear, or choosel not dive with you. One of the many reasons a dive bud is good to have:wink: If YOU saw that a dive buddy did not have the proper gear for that dive, would you tell him get the right gear before the dive and wait till he did? That's what a good dive bud would do.

So as long as we dive with a buddy we don't have to have the proper gear?? The lesson to learn should be whether a diver has proper gear/training for the dive versus whether they were solo or not.

If you dive with a buddy, during pre dive check out he will see you do not have the proper gear and either tell you get the right gear, or choosel not dive with you. One of the many reasons a dive bud is good to have:wink: If YOU saw that a dive buddy did not have the proper gear for that dive, would you tell him get the right gear before the dive and wait till he did? That's what a good dive bud would do.

Yes I agree that that is what a good dive bud would and should do. I teach my students that if someone is not equipped for the dive to not dive with that person until deficiency is corrected - to the point of not diving. That would not necessarily stop the person who was not equipped from diving. I think this tragedy brings that to light. IF those on board knew that the diver was not equipped did they try to prevent the dive from occurring as that is all a buddy could do. My apologies to those board as I am not trying to place blame on you. Ultimately it is the DIVER who chooses what conditions they will dive under.

You and I are in total agrrement, dale.

You are also correct that if the ill equipped diver did not heed advice not to dive, no one could stop him. Sad. I would have stressed for him not to do the dive, if I were his buddy.

This is the point that I'm trying to get across to Kim. Yes, you can chose to dive alone, or ill equipped, but it is not wise. The dive buddy rule is there for a reason.I

Yes I agree that that is what a good dive bud would and should do. I teach my students that if someone is not equipped for the dive to not dive with that person until deficiency is corrected - to the point of not diving. That would not necessarily stop the person who was not equipped from diving. I think this tragedy brings that to light. IF those on board knew that the diver was not equipped did they try to prevent the dive from occurring as that is all a buddy could do. My apologies to those board as I am not trying to place blame on you. Ultimately it is the DIVER who chooses what conditions they will dive under.

Pilot Fish,

Unfortunately I've only heard the same things as you. A good friend and fellow ex-crew member called someone who was still working at Nekton (in the office) but was given no information that wasn't available on the boards. Cosidering the legal ramifications, i'm not surprised. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom