Belize: Death of Corey Monk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's always a tragedy when we lose one of our own. I'm sorry for the loss of a colleague. I'm not sure if I agree with Nekton being a "boot camp." In some rspects you are correct--I worked aboard the Pilot for over 8 years (1995-2003) and in the office for two and I probably saw over a hundred crew members come and go. On the other hand, I worked on the boat long enough to have a better perspective and I can name over a dozen crewmembers who stayed for at least three years (which is an eternity in the dive industry!). There are two things which should be noted:
1. Employment on Nekton is usually cyclical--they go through "up" periods where the crew gels and stays on for long periods of time (I particularly remember 1997, when the average crewmember had been around for over two years--when we won World's Best Liveaboard from Rodales. There are laso "down" periods where there are internal problems with the crew (and office) and people stay for less than six months. This cyclical nature is something I observed on a regular basis over a ten year period.

2. It is important to consider the transient nature of the dive industry in general. There are a lot of young instructors out there willing to work for peanuts but also looking for their next great adventure. For someone with no responsibilities the idea of diving for six months in Belize, than six months in Cayman, than a year in Roatan, than a few months in the Bahamas (ad infintum) is appealing. This is not a Not a Nekton phenomenon but a dive industry phenomenon.

As for not diving alone, I'm not comfortable making those types of judgements. I dived thousands of dives off the Pilot--many with guests, many with crewmembers, but also many by myself. This is a judgement that should rest with the individual diver. Before becoming an instructor I had over 500 dives (more than half of them cave dives) and I feel strongly that I have the diving skills necessary to dive by myself. That being said, I currently have over 3,400 dives and I now prefer to dive with a buddy--just for the companionship.

On a lighter note, is Raul Cruz working for you guys? He worked at Nekton for a few years but then left for either the Agressor or Dancer (I don't remember). If he does, tell him Captain Jon said "hola."

Being as close as you are, or have been, with Nekton, have you heard any factual news on this poor diver's death? We have heard that he did a night dive alone and may not have had the proper gear. Have you heard that from your contacts?

What is of interest here is to find out the truth about any mistakes made so we can avoid them and learn from it.:(

It's always a tragedy when we lose one of our own. I'm sorry for the loss of a colleague. I'm not sure if I agree with Nekton being a "boot camp." In some rspects you are correct--I worked aboard the Pilot for over 8 years (1995-2003) and in the office for two and I probably saw over a hundred crew members come and go. On the other hand, I worked on the boat long enough to have a better perspective and I can name over a dozen crewmembers who stayed for at least three years (which is an eternity in the dive industry!). There are two things which should be noted:
1. Employment on Nekton is usually cyclical--they go through "up" periods where the crew gels and stays on for long periods of time (I particularly remember 1997, when the average crewmember had been around for over two years--when we won World's Best Liveaboard from Rodales. There are laso "down" periods where there are internal problems with the crew (and office) and people stay for less than six months. This cyclical nature is something I observed on a regular basis over a ten year period.

2. It is important to consider the transient nature of the dive industry in general. There are a lot of young instructors out there willing to work for peanuts but also looking for their next great adventure. For someone with no responsibilities the idea of diving for six months in Belize, than six months in Cayman, than a year in Roatan, than a few months in the Bahamas (ad infintum) is appealing. This is not a Not a Nekton phenomenon but a dive industry phenomenon.

As for not diving alone, I'm not comfortable making those types of judgements. I dived thousands of dives off the Pilot--many with guests, many with crewmembers, but also many by myself. This is a judgement that should rest with the individual diver. Before becoming an instructor I had over 500 dives (more than half of them cave dives) and I feel strongly that I have the diving skills necessary to dive by myself. That being said, I currently have over 3,400 dives and I now prefer to dive with a buddy--just for the companionship.

On a lighter note, is Raul Cruz working for you guys? He worked at Nekton for a few years but then left for either the Agressor or Dancer (I don't remember). If he does, tell him Captain Jon said "hola."

What is of interest here is to find out the truth about any mistakes made so we can avoid them and learn from it.:(
I didn't realize you did solo night dives PF. Obviously when people are doing the same things it's valuable to cross-analyse mistakes. Airline pilots have every right to be curious why other airline pilots crashed........ trained cave divers are probably interested how/why other cave divers died. Anything else is rubber-necking. The answer isn't....planes crash so no-one should fly, or overheads can kill you so no-one should cave dive....

Let's reserve our judgements for something we actually know something about - and have the requisite training and experience to make a comment worth reading.

You are missing the point entirely. Not surprised. No, I do not do solo night dives, or solo day dives, let alone do solo cave dives. Do you? The point is, if in fact this preson did a solo night dive, and did not have proper gear for that, it would re-enforce the "do not dive alone rule" that most divers should follow. Do you follow that rule? You should you know.

The answer isn't, a pilot flew a jumbo jet alone, without a co pilot, or navigator and survived so it's OK for all pilots to fly jumbo jets alone:shakehead:

Kim, if you do night dives alone and cave dives alone, fine. Sport divers, which most of us are, should not do that.

I didn't realize you did solo night dives PF. Obviously when people are doing the same things it's valuable to cross-analyse mistakes. Airline pilots have every right to be curious why other airline pilots crashed........ trained cave divers are probably interested how/why other cave divers died. Anything else is rubber-necking. The answer isn't....planes crash so no-one should fly, or overheads can kill you so no-one should cave dive....

Let's reserve our judgements for something we actually know something about - and have the requisite training and experience to make a comment worth reading.

The point is, if in fact this preson did a solo night dive, and did not have proper gear for that, it would re-enforce the "do not dive alone rule" that most divers should follow. Do you follow that rule? You should you know.

The answer isn't, a pilot flew a jumbo jet alone, without a co pilot, or navigator and survived so it's OK for all pilots to fly jumbo jets alone:shakehead:

Kim, if you do night dives alone and cave dives alone, fine. Sport divers, which most of us are, should not do that.

So as long as we dive with a buddy we don't have to have the proper gear?? The lesson to learn should be whether a diver has proper gear/training for the dive versus whether they were solo or not.

Back
Top Bottom