Belize Nekton Pilot: Crewmember lost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thak you UBB for the clarification of what you saw/heard/know. I may not agree with all of your opinions, but I do thank you for your observations.

Frank

I agree with most of your comments. I have witnessed no bubble watch when crew members dive and they NEVER use the sign in & out board. A new crew member told me I do not need to bubble watch because it's a crew member in the water. That told me SAFETY was not at the top of his list. When I have concerns I go to Captain Nelson and he does listen to me. I wonder now how some of these people become professional diving instructors?

I was the one that originally posted this. I want to re-iterate some things after some comments have been made about solo diving. It's your prerogative if you dive solo but these were the facts (known or discussed with other crew members):

1. His computer was broken
2. He had no depth gauge
3. He had no night glow sticks or tank indicators
4. He didn't have on a wetsuit and crew said he tended to overweight himself
5. He may recently have run out of a prescription which he had re-filled in Belize (it's possible the medication could have played a role, who knows?)
6. He light was spotted by another diver (also diving solo) at 92 feet on the wall near one of the sand chutes. The diver said he could not make out a body but saw the light so we assume he was close to or beyond the recreational limits. The Visibility had actually improved from earlier in the week and we dove nearly all day and night at this site and it was relatively good.

About 3 hours after divers had initially entered the water, they sent two divers in to check under the boat and along the wall where we thought he might be. Between that night and the following day we were told by crew members that several of them had gone to 250 feet searching for him. I agree that Coast guard showing up immediately may have not made a difference but it would have made us all feel better. A life vest thrown in the next morning had traveled several miles in an hour. They did a lot of search patterns all around the boat though themselves and came across nothing.

The issues I have with Nekton would be:

1. They discussed having the emergency drill the first night on the boat with life vests but we never had one the entire trip (this does not say guest safety is a priority to me).
2. Two crew members were visibly having relationships with two guests. Nothing inappropriate but some people noticed and on their part it just wasn't the most professional, sent mixed signals to guests. One guest was allowed in the pilot house all the time whereas we had to ask for a tour. I understand that these guys have limited "lives" being on the boat but they need to keep it more discreet.
3. A few of the crew members were involved in some practical jokes that happened in front of guests and continued to escalate until crew members were visibly pissed off. Water balloons, throwing someone in the water, spraying them with the shower heads, dumping a few gallons of ice cold water on them from two stories above, throwing an egg on someone's head on the dive deck while divers were suiting up, stealing all the guys clothes and egging another guys newly laundered clothes. (I don't believe Cory had anything to do with this)
4. Letting crew members dive alone. I truly believe that when you are working on a liveaboard boat and you have customers on board you should not be allowed to dive alone. This happened at the end of our trip and we lost a day of diving, not nearly as important as his life. Perhaps this could have been avoided if the captain didn't allow this to go on and we wouldn't have a trip to remember for all the wrong reasons. They have a sign in/out board which I believe should be directly on the lower dive platform, everyone including crew should be on it and whoever is on the dive deck duty should sign people in and out, get their depth, etc... This way it's more closely watched and people aren't guessing at what time they went in at once they get their gear on and what depth they think they went to.

I know the crew of the pilot had a meeting after most of the guests were gone. I can't imagine how hard it was for them to have to re-fuel and stock up and leave only hours later with more guests. Most of our trip was great but they have got to clean up those issues. Safety has got to be their number one priority for crew and guests.

Lastly, please be respectful of this situation especially for Cory's family. I didn't post this for people to argue about anything. There are definitely things that he should have done which probably would have prevented this or we would at least have more answers. It doesn't make it any less tragic. After this trip I have completed 79 dives and I pride myself (and thank my local dive shop) for instilling how important safety is. I always dive with a buddy, have air horn and safety sausage, flashing night strobes and glow sticks and I don't press the limits. Still, I know I'm not immune and I just hope this helps other people remember how important safety is and it's there for a reason.

I agree with most of your comments. I have witnessed no bubble watch when crew members dive and they NEVER use the sign in & out board. A new crew member told me I do not need to bubble watch because it's a crew member in the water. That told me SAFETY was not at the top of his list. When I have concerns I go to Captain Nelson and he does listen to me. I wonder now how some of these people become professional diving instructors?

I thought I heard the victim was diving a RB? Bubble watch pretty pointless.
Why don't you guys get off the solo diver witch hunt. There are plenty of us solo diving for many many dives and there is no evidence it is any more dangerous than buddy diving.

I thought I heard the victim was diving a RB? Bubble watch pretty pointless.
Why don't you guys get off the solo diver witch hunt.

First, he wasn't diving on a rebreather and no one on this thread indicated otherwise. So bubble and light watch is very appropriate.

Second, the Nekton Liability Release Form clearly states that you will remain with your buddy at all times. (Number Six on NLRF which each guest has to sign)

You may need another forum to advocate solo diving. I doubt that you'll find anyone sensitive to that cause on this thread, one of our dear friends was lost at sea while solo diving.

First, he wasn't diving on a rebreather and no one on this thread indicated otherwise. So bubble and light watch is very appropriate.

Second, the Nekton Liability Release Form clearly states that you will remain with your buddy at all times. (Number Six on NLRF which each guest has to sign)

You may need another forum to advocate solo diving. I doubt that you'll find anyone sensitive to that cause on this thread, one of our dear friends was lost at sea while solo diving.

The purpose of this forum is to look at and examine dive accidents and use the data as a tool to prevent further accidents. I am very sorry that you lost your friend while diving. I recently lost a friend as well but to say he died because he was solo diving as has been suggested in this forum is no more productive than saying my friend died because he was wreck diving.
Solo diving is a well accepted form of diving that like it or not will continue to be practiced by many scuba divers. I am sure many reading this thread are practicing solo divers.
The fact that the Nekton does not allow the paying passengers who put on their poodle jackets and split fins once a year to look at the fishies does not mean those same rules should apply to the profession staff who are in that environment on a daily basis. DMs who work on dive boats are frequently required to dive solo whether it is setting the hook or scouting out new sight for the tourists to marvel at it is the nature of the job.
I do not accept that the cause of this accident was due to an experienced dive leader taking an occasional solo plunge.

The issue is not whether people solo dive, but whether they have been trained to recognise the additional risks and whether on their solo dive they are carrying appropriate redundant equipment. Regardless of training, anyone who solo dives (I don't just mean technically without a buddy, but someone who dives away from and out of sight of others) and doesn't have redundant gear is being foolish. The most obvious required gear is a totally separate breathing source, of adequate capacity.

I have seen countless solo divers without a secondary breathing source. They're just playing Russian roulette. 9 times out of 10 they'll get away with it, probably 99 times out of 100, then the unthinkable happens. Except that it shouldn't have been unthinkable.

The issue is not whether people solo dive, but whether they have been trained to recognise the additional risks and whether on their solo dive they are carrying appropriate redundant equipment. Regardless of training, anyone who solo dives (I don't just mean technically without a buddy, but someone who dives away from and out of sight of others) and doesn't have redundant gear is being foolish. The most obvious required gear is a totally separate breathing source, of adequate capacity.

I have seen countless solo divers without a secondary breathing source. They're just playing Russian roulette. 9 times out of 10 they'll get away with it, probably 99 times out of 100, then the unthinkable happens. Except that it shouldn't have been unthinkable.

Amen!

Who was the captain? Was it Tucker?

This is really sad and I'm sorry it happened the way it did. Like all accidents, however, it is a time for everyone fortunate enough to have avoided them in the past to reflect on their own habits.

I know reading about this (my wife and I were on the Nekton earlier this year) has caused me to realize the importance of safety gear, and although we haven't had any problems in the past, we will definitely not be diving in the future without at least basic safety gear, like a whistle, sausage, and lights. It's not certain what caused the accident in this case, but I hope others will realize the risks we take every dive and prepare themselves.

The fact that the Nekton does not allow the paying passengers who put on their poodle jackets and split fins once a year to look at the fishies does not mean those same rules should apply to the profession staff who are in that environment on a daily basis. DMs who work on dive boats are frequently required to dive solo whether it is setting the hook or scouting out new sight for the tourists to marvel at it is the nature of the job.
I do not accept that the cause of this accident was due to an experienced dive leader taking an occasional solo plunge.

:11star::11star::11star:

Very well said. Spoken from someone with diving experience..unlike some others. :shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom