Belize Nekton Pilot: Crewmember lost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was diving this site the previous week. Vis was only so so - a search would not likely have found anything - assuming he was beyond 130 feet. At that depth vis was about 30 feet. Also I seem to remember that this was a night dive - even less likely that a search would be successful.

Diving solo is pretty common among liveaboard staff. I know on the PH boats a single dive master is in the water and if guests do not want a guide then the DM often heads off on their own looking for interesting stuff.

On Nekton boats I have seen a number of DM's dive alone - single tank no redundancy. Pretty low risk diving, but do it often enough and somebody's number comes up.

Me, I dive a pony if I am solo. Still a risk, but everyone has to determine their own tolerance for risk - and accept the consequenses. Would hate for the scuba police to decide that this activity needs regulating.

I know Cory better then most--He was aways too brave,to willing to take the chance,to willing to do what he knew that he shouldn't. But that was Cory --and thats how he lived his life. To all of you who wrote those wonderful notes I Thank You. To those who weren't as kind-remember-what goes around comes around!!! There is going to be a memorial service on Jan, 18th(his Birthday) in Roanoke IL. If any of you want to send a messenge to be read or posted please send to culmon@msn.com Thank You Cory's heart broken mother Connie

WOW...Pretty sad that most of you posting in this thread miss this most important post!!!!:shakehead:

Connie, though I never knew your son, we are deeply sadened by your loss!! Cory was doing what he loved, we should all be so lucky!! Just know that he will be forever playing in the deep blue waters he loved!!

Extremely sorry for your loss, no words will ever help a loss like this....just know he is still blowing bubbles with a smile on his face, exploring all depths of the ocean

Mike

WOW...Pretty sad that most of you posting in this thread miss this most important post!!!!:shakehead:

Jeez, Mike, Too bad you didn't read the sticky at the top of the forum. This forum has nothing to do with condolences, although I'm sure most of us offer ours, it has to do with why did it happen, and how do we prevent it in the furture. I suggest you offer your condolences to her using the e-mail address she helpfully provided.

Frank

You may be right, but she did post here, and did anyone even say anything or fully ignore her??? Thats why my post said what it said! Just because of a "Sticky" Doesnt mean we should lose our hearts and ignore the mother of a lost diver......Read a sticky?? Come on......Show some compassion

I don't know the area where Cory was lost, but I can tell you that finding a negatively-buoyant body on the barrier reef off San Pedro is a difficult hit-and-miss task. The bottom is so uneven, there are so many places a body can lodge, and the water generally isn't that clear.

And it's very beutiful that way. Seas were very rough when I stayed there. Boats not going out.

On the solo diving.

People do it and have done it since the begining. You do know that people can make an ascent on one breath from 120ft if you're experienced and not a heavy smoker. But, I know smokers that do it. The volume of air in your lungs will expand almost 4 times from that depth. You have to leave your mouth open to keep from overpressurizing your lungs. Ain't easy, but can be done.

I see guy's penetrating wrecks at 120ft all the time on a single. Now though, you can have a CCR that will have a run time of 8 hrs. That's a lot of time for the Oh Sx*^ factor. Should we start requiring those for any wreck dives? Cuts a lot of people out. But, it's the safest way. Anything over 35 feet actually. Since you'll have plenty of time to fix things..

Hard to figure out what happened. Could have been a shark attack. Then what? If he had a buddy 2 would be gone maybe. Or at least someone could tell all of you It's OK, It was a shark attack?

This guy wasn't a rookie. Let's shut up till we find out what happened. If we don't find out. Let's shut up since nobody knows what happened.

I got an idea, let's only allow diving if on a Rebreather. Since then you have plenty of gas time.

Cut's a lot of people out don't it.

I was shocked to hear of Corey's situation. I call it a situation because I'm praying for a miracle. Corey and I have been Dive Buddy's since the start of our training. He actually was certified as an instructor this past year. I was going to be his Divemaster. We all know the risks we take when we enter the water. But we trust our skills, preparation, and equipment to get us back to the surface safely. Something failed on this dive! I know Corey was a very skilled diver. Until the day I die, I believe this would have not happened if I had been there, because I would have never left my Dive Buddy alone. Right now there is a huge hole in my diving family. My condolences to his family and friends.

I have been on the Nekton many times. On previous trips I’ve witnessed the crew be everything that is good about the industry. I've seen first hand them revive a diver who was not breathing and watched as a non diving patient was airlifted off the ship. They have located lost divers at sea on both night & day dives. I've been on board for many new crew and guests
The last was 12/8-12/15 and had the pleasure of diving with Cory. During that week I did not witness any safety issues. He was a professional at all times. That week he was always there for his clients. The last morning we did a dawn dive , Ginge gave me his dive light to use - mine was pretty well used up. He then greeted us after surfacing with coffee. He spent most of the week looking after us as well as the new crew. Connie & Troy I am truly sorry for your loss, as well as the loss of a good man. I am proud to have crossed paths with him.

Michael
Newark, Delaware

My mother was on the boat when Corey went missing. It's still upsetting her. She was so upset with the Belizean Coast Guard that she called DAN as soon as she got home so they would be aware of the situation. She never plans to return to Belize because of the slow reaction time.

On the other hand, last year when I was with PH in Belize, we had a death on the boat (probably from heart attack). I, and others, performed CPR while speeding to Half Moon Cay to meet with the British helicopter. They were there in 1 1/2 hours. Unfortunately, this guy didn't make it. I only knew him for a few days and he seemed really nice.

Anyway, no one ever knows what the response time will be and that can be a little scary.

My wife and I were also on the 12/8-12/15 sailing. We chose the Nekton Pilot specifically because (we'd heard that, and learned that) the crew treats divers as adults.

Cory/Ginge was a delight, and clearly reveled in his work. I'm glad we got to dive with him. He'll be greatly missed.

My wife did her AOW with him as I tagged along. Her card will bear his name.

Bob (and Oleta)
Wilmette IL

I was the one that originally posted this. I want to re-iterate some things after some comments have been made about solo diving. It's your prerogative if you dive solo but these were the facts (known or discussed with other crew members):

1. His computer was broken
2. He had no depth gauge
3. He had no night glow sticks or tank indicators
4. He didn't have on a wetsuit and crew said he tended to overweight himself
5. He may recently have run out of a prescription which he had re-filled in Belize (it's possible the medication could have played a role, who knows?)
6. He light was spotted by another diver (also diving solo) at 92 feet on the wall near one of the sand chutes. The diver said he could not make out a body but saw the light so we assume he was close to or beyond the recreational limits. The Visibility had actually improved from earlier in the week and we dove nearly all day and night at this site and it was relatively good.

About 3 hours after divers had initially entered the water, they sent two divers in to check under the boat and along the wall where we thought he might be. Between that night and the following day we were told by crew members that several of them had gone to 250 feet searching for him. I agree that Coast guard showing up immediately may have not made a difference but it would have made us all feel better. A life vest thrown in the next morning had traveled several miles in an hour. They did a lot of search patterns all around the boat though themselves and came across nothing.

The issues I have with Nekton would be:

1. They discussed having the emergency drill the first night on the boat with life vests but we never had one the entire trip (this does not say guest safety is a priority to me).
2. Two crew members were visibly having relationships with two guests. Nothing inappropriate but some people noticed and on their part it just wasn't the most professional, sent mixed signals to guests. One guest was allowed in the pilot house all the time whereas we had to ask for a tour. I understand that these guys have limited "lives" being on the boat but they need to keep it more discreet.
3. A few of the crew members were involved in some practical jokes that happened in front of guests and continued to escalate until crew members were visibly pissed off. Water balloons, throwing someone in the water, spraying them with the shower heads, dumping a few gallons of ice cold water on them from two stories above, throwing an egg on someone's head on the dive deck while divers were suiting up, stealing all the guys clothes and egging another guys newly laundered clothes. (I don't believe Cory had anything to do with this)
4. Letting crew members dive alone. I truly believe that when you are working on a liveaboard boat and you have customers on board you should not be allowed to dive alone. This happened at the end of our trip and we lost a day of diving, not nearly as important as his life. Perhaps this could have been avoided if the captain didn't allow this to go on and we wouldn't have a trip to remember for all the wrong reasons. They have a sign in/out board which I believe should be directly on the lower dive platform, everyone including crew should be on it and whoever is on the dive deck duty should sign people in and out, get their depth, etc... This way it's more closely watched and people aren't guessing at what time they went in at once they get their gear on and what depth they think they went to.

I know the crew of the pilot had a meeting after most of the guests were gone. I can't imagine how hard it was for them to have to re-fuel and stock up and leave only hours later with more guests. Most of our trip was great but they have got to clean up those issues. Safety has got to be their number one priority for crew and guests.

Lastly, please be respectful of this situation especially for Cory's family. I didn't post this for people to argue about anything. There are definitely things that he should have done which probably would have prevented this or we would at least have more answers. It doesn't make it any less tragic. After this trip I have completed 79 dives and I pride myself (and thank my local dive shop) for instilling how important safety is. I always dive with a buddy, have air horn and safety sausage, flashing night strobes and glow sticks and I don't press the limits. Still, I know I'm not immune and I just hope this helps other people remember how important safety is and it's there for a reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom