Belize vacation Planning 2 weeks..one week wet, the other dry.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thought on email - if you don't get replies when you're pretty sure the email got through, try sending from a different address/domain. Sometimes domains can get blocked and emails fail without the sender being told. It seems to be particularly a problem with Belize, and with any email domain associated with Belize (I'm not sure what Amigos' address is).

My first thought was that there was some serious DNS lookup issue (as far as the website the was concerend) with my home service provider, so I tried from work, and a few internet cafes, and still got nothing; again until today...which is fine as long as I can get a hold of them it's all good.:D

No sense in getting worked up over an issue after its been resovled.
:no:

BTW,
One thing I forgot to mention. Cell phone SIM card and pre-paid providers?

Yeah I know all about the "leave it at home" rationale, but unfortunately. clients and editors do not seem to have the word "vacation" anywhere in their vocabulary, or understand the meaning of "getting away from it all"; unless of course they are talking about themselves, but they certainly DO have the words deadline, and "going to press" firmly ensconced in their brains.

I have an unlocked quad-band GSM phone (what some all a world phone), so hardware isn’t an issue. Who are/is the CIM provider down there and where can the SIMS (and top up cards if necessary) be purchased?

Right now I do not have the details of transfer flights from Belize City to San Pedro so I'm not sure how much time I'll have to hang around the airport, so I was wondering where a SIM can be purchased on the island?

There are two cell phone providers here in Belize, the one (Digicell) uses conventional GSM phones with separate SIM cards. These are readily available from BTL (the service provider) at any of their offices. There is one in San Pedro at the north end of town. Some other shops sell them and it may well be possible to buy one at the airport, but you'll need to ask once there.

There is also another provider, SMART, which uses phones that are hard wired for the number and don't use a SIM card (can't remember what this type of service is called). There's no point in buying such a phone specially, but they can be rented on the island for a small amount from Quicksilver. I'll post contact info if you want - don't know it offhand.

SMART provides generally better coverage than Digicell, is a bit cheaper per minute, and after the first minute charges by the second (Digicell charges by the minute). But they both have their place and I carry both all the time.

An alternative if you're bringing a laptop is to use Skype. Until very recently that needed a VPN to work, but apparently the block placed by BTL on it (all telecommunications pass through BTL networks, including all internet except satellite and SMART phones) has been lifted, and it now works without a VPN. Damn good idea to have a VPN anyway mind, if you value your privacy. Best to use a compact headset along with your own laptop. Free wireless internet is widely available all over the island. Basic Skype allows you to make calls but not to receive them (from a normal phone). However, for a bit extra you can have a phone number which can be called. The way I use Skype is in conjunction with a cellphone - if it's going to be a long call the caller sets it up by calling me on my cellphone first, then I call them back on Skype. Or at most of the internet cafes you can make VoIP calls, though not desperately cheaply and of course without much privacy.

You may prefer to use your home SIM card so people can call you, then tell them you'll call them back and use Skype for that. Could save you a lot of money. I can't believe they'll want to make an international call to you, and this way they won't have to. But don't make calls from Belize with your home SIM card unless you have a very large bank balance you want to give away.

Sorry for the daly in gatting back to you but life, work and various other "little things' have kept me from the trip planning.

Peter,

Thanks for the heads up on the Digicell shop on the island. If I can't get hooked up at the airport, I'll try there.

On a side note..

On the advice of the agent that is booking the "surf" portion of this trip, I went in to my doctor to get a note specifying my insect and animal toxin issue, and he has provided one stating that I am to wear gloves while diving. To whom, other than the dive operators I will be using, should I be faxing this to? Is ther an authority over the marine parks that I should be talking directly to?

I tried to contact someone at Hol Chan, through their webnsite but didn't get a response.

This is not a huge deal as I have plenty of time before the actual trip, just trying to get all the ducks lined up.

Any thoughts?

No need to fax it to anyone. Just bring it with you so you can show it if the occasion arises - it probably won't.

Well you got to love these little changes that happen when you plan a trip five months in advance of arrival. Apparently, Judy and I will no longer be diving with Amigos Del Mar, but the change in dive operators should n be taken to mean anything against Amigos Del Mar, but rather this was done as the folks at Sunbreeze are moving their dive packages (at least our anyways) to their new on-site dvie operator, Hugh Parkey Belize Dive Connections.

So..(and here we go again) what's the scoop with Dive Connections? Any opinions, expereiinces out there with them. Feel free to take your responses to a PM if you feel more comfortable doing so in that manner.

Cheers and Thanks.

Rick

Last edited:
No Need Belize Dive Connection is top knotch, they have great boats and been operating out of Belize city for years and years i am sure Teresa and her crew will take very good care of you.

I will be using them for my guests also now they are at the Sunbreeze.

Gaz

this thread sounds more like a psyche event to me than anything else. Screw the toxins, some OCD meds are clearly in order.....

this thread sounds more like a psyche event to me than anything else. Screw the toxins, some OCD meds are clearly in order.....

Not really but resurecting a two year old thread to throw out an insult and troll is definately a sign that you might be off YOUR meds......
:homealone:

Back
Top Bottom