Benefits with rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Far_X

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am just wondering if anyone who takes videos on a big time basis has even considered investing in rebreathers. Do they make a difference at all?

I recently had this discussion while assisting a well-known professional underwater photographer in Tobago, and based on both his observations and talking with other filmmakers the general impression I'm getting is that the major benefit to rebreathers isn't the lack of bubbles (as most of us would have thought) but rather, in the long run, time.

It seems that most rebreather filmmakers and photogs are finding that the majority of animals will eventually get used to exhaust bubbles and resume their natural behaviors after a while, traditional open circuit gear sells you out because you're low on air at that point. In the end, it seems, the rebreathers allow time for the animals to adjust and get comfortable with the diver intrusion and getting the footage.

That being said, one thing I did really, really learn from said photographer is how much can be gained from changing your approach to animals you're filming...aggressive posture, trying to chase them down for a shot, etc.

PeaceDog:
That being said, one thing I did really, really learn from said photographer is how much can be gained from changing your approach to animals you're filming...aggressive posture, trying to chase them down for a shot, etc.

Are you saying to do this or are you saying NOT to do this?:confused: I would have thought patience would have been the best policy but if you are saying to chase them around... :D

I'm absolutely saying not to do those things...going on the offensive for a shot has never been successful for me, and even refining my posture has helped the quality of my footage even more.

After watching a number of new rebreather users, sitting in several rebrather training sessions, and having done both photography, and videography, I would say that the investment of money and time in getting a rebreather would not be worth the trouble for most people.

Unless you are videoing or photographing VERY deep subjects, it's not all that hard to get a few hours in the water on open circuit. Certainly on a dive to 40-60ft, you could get a 3 hour run time on a good nitrox mix with a set of 130s and maybe a stage bottle. And you could do that for less than 1/10 the cost of a rebreather including the training in Adv. Nitrox and Deco procedures.

PerroneFord:
After watching a number of new rebreather users, sitting in several rebrather training sessions, and having done both photography, and videography, I would say that the investment of money and time in getting a rebreather would not be worth the trouble for most people.

Unless you are videoing or photographing VERY deep subjects, it's not all that hard to get a few hours in the water on open circuit. Certainly on a dive to 40-60ft, you could get a 3 hour run time on a good nitrox mix with a set of 130s and maybe a stage bottle. And you could do that for less than 1/10 the cost of a rebreather including the training in Adv. Nitrox and Deco procedures.
As I am currently doing that certification I'll see how it goes before I seriously think about rebreathers. Some of the members in our dive club swear by them and they seem to be a growing crowd. I need to have a good enough reason to switch from open circuit as it is a very expensive move so I am trying to find out how many benefits there are.

The rebreather instructor I am closely associated with, recently did a class for a photographer. The extreme task loading was mentioned. On the checkout dives the camera was taken to see how things would go. He nearly killed himself twice (or came close enough for the instructor to intervene). He discontinued the class.

A quality rebreather class is eight days. We covered more in one day of rebreather class than my ENTIRE Adv. Nitrox class.

PerroneFord:
The rebreather instructor I am closely associated with, recently did a class for a photographer. The extreme task loading was mentioned. On the checkout dives the camera was taken to see how things would go. He nearly killed himself twice (or came close enough for the instructor to intervene). He discontinued the class.

A quality rebreather class is eight days. We covered more in one day of rebreather class than my ENTIRE Adv. Nitrox class.
So are you a rebreather diver now? What unit are you diving?

We covered a hell of a lot in the theory side of Adv. Nitrox. But then, our instructor had just done her rebreather course and was keen and eager to pass on some of the stuff she had learnt. I thoroughly enjoyed the course but there were divers in the class who did not like the math and we did a lot of math. I love math and could not get enough problems to solve. There is no substitute for a good enthusiastic instructor who knows their stuff and is able to pass the knowledge, and skills to apply the knowledge, on.

Speaking as one who actually dives rebreathers and although I don't do video I take lots of still pics and I can say that like any new underwater skill there is always task loading involved, but an experienced RB diver is no more task loaded than any other scuba diver. I would suggest you post this question on www.rebreatherworld.com where real rebreather divers hang out. Perrone's instructor probably lurks there:D

Back
Top Bottom