Benefits with rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc:
So are you a rebreather diver now? What unit are you diving?

Where did I say I was a rebreather diver? I said I am associated with a rebreather instructor, and I've sat through some of the classes, and I've been in the water with some of the rebreather classes. Like this past weekend :)

PerroneFord:
Where did I say I was a rebreather diver?
This comment seemed to suggest it
PerroneFord:
We covered more in one day of rebreather class than my ENTIRE Adv. Nitrox class.

CC Rebreather is more benefit No burble and stay longer underwater close to marine life

wedivebc:
This comment seemed to suggest it

Hmm,

I thought that would have been clear from my comment:

After watching a number of new rebreather users, sitting in several rebrather training sessions...

So to clarify, I am NOT a rebreather diver, but I have attended some poortions of rebreather training for both KISS and Megalodon. And I have watched what appeared to be very good divers, really have to re-learn to dive basically (especially buoyancy) on the rebreather.

Photography comes in bursts. You compose, you shoot, you re-compose you shoot, then you lose your subject. Then you check yourself and your gear. Video, with it's constant compositon, really takes focus away from other things. I think I'd be quite nervous shooting video as a new rebreather diver.

meekal:
Lighten up, Francis.

You just made the list, buddy.

(sorry, that's not directed at anyone in particular, I just can't resist a Stripes reference.)

Any new rebreather diver will be a little over tasked at first when he/she have less than a couple dozen rebreather dives. But after you gain the underwater experience needed, conducting video and still photography becomes easier on a CCR than OC.

Why? More bottom time, less silting, no bubbles in the photo, less decompression times, cheaper mixed gas dives (HE).

Do I use my rebreather for every dive?

No and here is why.

If the dive is short 30 (minutes) and shallow (60ft or less) and what I am shooting doesnt require bubble free (open ocean - no cave or wreck) than I use side mounted 80's.

Why sidemounted 80's? So I am self redundant and not relying on a dive buddy.

Curt Bowen:
If the dive is short 30 (minutes) and shallow (60ft or less) and what I am shooting doesnt require bubble free (open ocean - no cave or wreck) than I use side mounted 80's.

Why sidemounted 80's? So I am self redundant and not relying on a dive buddy.

Curt - Interesting, curious to know why side mounted vs doubles on your back (manifolds or independent doubles)?

pakman:
Curt - Interesting, curious to know why side mounted vs doubles on your back (manifolds or individual)?

sidemount you can reach and repair most minor 1st stage problems underwater, or just be able to look and see what the problem might be.

sidemount is easier to put on in and get out of the water with

I think sidemount is far more comforitable (My Opinion)

less snag problems in wrecks and caves

I can fit through much tighter restrictions in wrecks or caves

I can get single 80's in most dive shops anyplace on the planet, doubles would be almost impossible to get.

plus I feel safer solo diving with sidemount than I ever did with back mount

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom