Bent! o_O

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichWilx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Unbelievable!

After a weekend doing my PADI Rescue Diver course, I got home on Sunday and start feeling pretty tired. Well... I had been pretty busy! The next day, I'm up and off to the office, still feeling absolutely exhausted, and now I've got a throbbing headache and my shoulders are hurting. OK, so I must be really exhausted.

Monday evening, I get home and at about 7pm there's a sudden fever and my eyes are burning. Now, I've had fevers before, but the burning eyes thing is new, the headache is still there and my shoulders are still aching. For the first time, I start thinking about DCS. I decide that it's unlikely given the type of diving I had done and decide to sleep it off

Yesterday morning I am feeling like death warmed up, so I call my dive club and explain how I'm feeling. My instructor suggests that, as a precaution, I call the London Diving Chamber, so I do. The nurse asks me a load of questions about my symptoms and my dive profiles over the weekend. She then suggests that I get down there asap to speak to the doctor. An hour later, I am with the diving doctor who is runs me through a series of tests before announcing that he is going to "pop" me. For 6 hours.

So, I pick a John Grisham novel and settle in for 6 hours inside the chamber. It's a long 6 hours but after only a few minutes at 60ft, my shoulders are feeling good and the headache is gone. At the end of the session, I am up and about but the fever is starting to come back. I get home and am in bed by 8:30pm and sleep through until 7am. The fever is with me most of the night and I am drinking tons of water.

So today, I am back off to the chamber for the first of a series of 100 minute recompressions.

Well that rescue course sure saved you from an accident :eek:

Get well :)

I hate it when irony slaps you in the face.

Get well soon!

Were you doing any dives other than those required for rescue - fun dives before or after class- and on the rescue dives, what was the depth and bottom time?

Would you share your profiles with us? Hope you're feeling better!

I've often wondered if anyone got bent on a rescue course. I know with mine my ears were killing me the next day from the continual up and down "saving" people.

Would you share your profiles with us? Hope you're feeling better!

Sure, all the dives were on 40% nitrox (go figure!)
Fresh water.
Surface temp avg 18c/65f
Bottom temp avg 12c/53f

Day 1 (Saturday)
Dive 1: 8m/26ft for 10 minutes (unconscious diver to surface)
20 min SI
Dive 2: 8m/26ft for 36 minutes (search pattterns)
20 min SI
Dive 3: 8m/26ft for 20 minutes (search pattern/entangled diver)
1h40 SI
Dive 4: 10m/35ft for 10 minutes
15 min SI
Dive 5: 10m/35ft for 8 minutes.

Day 2 (sunday)
Dive 1: 12m/40ft for 12 minutes (scenario 1 - find diver, bring to shore etc.)
1h15 SI
Dive 2: 12m/40ft for 15 minutes (scenario 2 - find diver, bring to shore etc.)
25min SI
Dive 3: 20m/65ft for 20 minutes (celebration dive!)

It's even more amazing that us instructors don't get bent more often. I sometimes run 10 dives a day(different classes obviously).

Get better.

I know with mine my ears were killing me the next day from the continual up and down "saving" people.

The doctor noticed some mild barotrauma in both ears (redness and swelling).

The depths which the rescue course are conducted within make it very unlikely that a participant would get DCS

Depth
For Rescue Exercise 4: 6metres/20feet
For Rescue Exercise 6 and Scenario 1: 9metres/30feet

I am curious as to whether other dives were done or the dives in the course were outside of the standards.

Glad the OP got treatment and is on the road to recovery

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom