Best Alternative to Breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a change of pace, try Lake Tahoe. My wife, son-in-law and grandson have all been to Sand Harbor (Incline Village, Nevada side) and had decent dives. There is a small beach, a terrific snack bar (try the Breakfast Burrito!), great facilities and it isn't over-run by Sea Nettles right now.

Of course, there isn't one living thing in Lake Tahoe other than crawdads but I understand some of those are as large as lobster.

Plenty of rocks to explore out and to the left of the beach. Don't forget to bring a dive float and flag. Failing this will be EXPENSIVE. VERY EXPENSIVE! On the order of $350 EXPENSIVE.

Richard

I really loved Carmel River Beach.

CRB is great (but I've only been there once)! However, from what I can remember, it has a similar "steep sloping beach" like Monastery. I got rolled there too, but need to go back to avenge myself :p

For Lovers and MacAbee, I've made the following maps from BAUE's interactive map site which hopefully can help the OP learn the lay of the land and plan some dives:

MacAbee:

Lovers:

And for kicks...
Breakwater:

Lobos:

The BEST alternative to breakwater (or almost any other beach dive) would be a boat dive!

As for the fear of sharks, quit watching the Discovery channel and watch something realistic like this News - Videos. or the movie "Sharkwater". My favorite quote from that movie is "Every year, more people are killed by soda vending machines than by sharks."

Quit living in fear; fear of sharks, lightening, snakes etc. Between 30,000 and 40,000 people die on US roads every year but nobody seems to "fear" driving. Very few fears are rational. Go diving and boats are best.

BTW, isn't the Breakwater where the seals & sea lions hang out?

Monterey Dive Sites

Found this website when I was looking for the location of Lover's 3.
Still don't know where that is. Can anyone help?

Found this website when I was looking for the location of Lover's 3. Still don't know where that is. Can anyone help?

Lovers 3 is labeled on the map here (it's the beach west of Lovers Point):

A fun dive, is entering at Lovers 3, and then exiting at Lovers 1. Its a good navigational challenge too, some compass and natural nav work should get you around the point and back into lovers 1.

Mcabee beach is just a little down the road from breakwater and is a nice easy dive in good conditions..the same with Lovers east that can be like a pool with the right conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom