Best chances for seals or sea lions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qwimjim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be visiting LA the last week of October and would like to go diving one day with my wife, she loves seals, sea lions, etc.. and I was wondering what would be the best dive spot for the best chance of encountering them at that time of year?

Last time I was in LA I did some oil rig dives which was really interesting, it was in the summer and visibility was poor, but I did see one at the end of one of my dives. At the time some people had suggested Anacapa Island?

Wherever you suggest, could you try to estimate the chances of seeing them at that time of year, and the visibility? Ie 50% chance of a sighting and 25% chance of good vis. It might be tough to squeeze it into our schedule so I only really want to attempt it if the odds are in our favour given that our schedule is so tight and we'd have to sacrifice something else to do it. Thanks!

Two places I know of - Sea Lion Beach off Anacapa or Los Coronados Islands south of San Diego - sometimes called Sea Lion City.

not current videos...

Coronados:
Anacapa:

never been to Anacapa but have been to Los Coronados - actually in Oct. some years ago. Water was pretty clear and where the rookery is it''s fairly shallow.

Boats from San Diego go there on day trips - try Lois Ann or Humboldt. I believe boats to Anacapa leave from Ventura - Spectre is one that goes there.

California Dive Boats : The Official Page - contact info for all of them.

Last edited:
I went with Spectre & dove in Anacapa 2 days in a row last September, but saw none of seal nor sea lion. We might've gone to wrong spots?

Anacapa Diving, Sep 8-9, 2017, Trip Report

I plan to go there again on this coming Labor Day weekend. Hopefully I'll have a better luck this time.

Anacapa has good potential of seeing sea lions but it is definitely hit or miss. Out of roughly 20 dives at anacapa, I’ve had only two interactions with sea lions there’s. Same count for harbor seal encounters but the seals aren’t as playful in general compared to the local sea lions.

Santa Barbara Island is your best bet for sea lion interaction due to the large rookery on the island. Unfortunately, boats do not run every weekend to the island due to the distance. But check around to see if any scheduled trips coincide with your visit.

Top option- Santa Barbara Island

Back up option-anacapa

Anacapa island is your best best. Go out with Ventura Dive and Sport on their boat, the Raptor and ask the DM/Captain if you can go to Landing Cove dive site. Guaranteed to see them there and they will accommodate your request, unless the conditions just don't warrant it. Welcome to the Raptor Dive Charters Website located in Ventura Harbor, California

Here is a short clip that I shot back in January when I was there working as a safety diver:

Anacapa has good potential of seeing sea lions but it is definitely hit or miss. Out of roughly 20 dives at anacapa, I’ve had only two interactions with sea lions there’s. Same count for harbor seal encounters but the seals aren’t as playful in general compared to the local sea lions.

Santa Barbara Island is your best bet for sea lion interaction due to the large rookery on the island. Unfortunately, boats do not run every weekend to the island due to the distance. But check around to see if any scheduled trips coincide with your visit.

Top option- Santa Barbara Island

Back up option-anacapa

Thanks, someone else mentioned that Landing Cove site at Anacapa island is the best bet, did you dive that site many times?

On Santa Barabara is there a particular spot or dive site that is best for seeing sea lions?

Have you ever been to Los Coronados?

leave the snorkel in the bag - once off Mexico I watched one go after my buddy's - it had a red tip and struggle to keep his mask.

Thanks, someone else mentioned that Landing Cove site at Anacapa island is the best bet, did you dive that site many times?

On Santa Barabara is there a particular spot or dive site that is best for seeing sea lions?

Have you ever been to Los Coronados?
There are no daily charters out to Santa Barbara Island. Only way out there is if you are on a multi day live aboard that is going there or on a private boat/charter.

Your best best from a commercial boat that goes regularly out to the islands is Landing Cove on Anacapa. They are always there and I have dozens of dives there.

There are no daily charters out to Santa Barbara Island. Only way out there is if you are on a multi day live aboard that is going there or on a private boat/charter.

Your best best from a commercial boat that goes regularly out to the islands is Landing Cove on Anacapa. They are always there and I have dozens of dives there.

Ahh I see, yeah we only have time for a daytrip, any idea if any boats do a dive/land combo at Anacapa, where you could go check out the island between dives or after, etc..?

Back
Top Bottom