best color for lightsticks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If things are that dire, a glow stick really isn't the right tool for the job.

Flares, PLB, Naut', etc. etc.

I have never known a diver to carry flares with them. While I do not carry a PLB, I do carry a VHF. The VHF two way radio is my primary tool if I get too separated from my boat, no doubt about it. But talking with the Coast Guard pilots, who do this for a living, the chem stick is a very good signal and can be seen for a good distance on the FLIR at night. It also will last a long time, most of the night once activated and my group will typically have 3 of them. They highly recommend carrying one, from that personal discussion. PLB, VHF etc can flood during the dive, fail or die during the day etc. Any electronic device is very prone to failure in water and repeated immersion in water at that. At night, 2 very good 'tools' in the bag are red chem lights and of all things splashing the water. The FLIR also picks that up very well. During my discussion with the CG pilots, 2 other people were there that had been rescued at night from a dive by that same crew that was talking with us. We were having a very serious discussion about night diving and Coast Guard ops.

The best tool is not to get in that dire strait, but a chem light is a simple added insurance that is cheap and very effective! Now I just wish Nautilus Lifeline had not stopped making the two-way VHF radio. My replacement for mine when it does fail will be a PLB. Too bad none are made specifically with diving in mind.

Remember that white is the sum of the entire visible spectrum of equal intensity, therefore I think it has the best chance of being seen at a distance at night.

Remember that white is the sum of the entire visible spectrum of equal intensity, therefore I think it has the best chance of being seen at a distance at night.

That is for the human eye. The FLIR really does not see it well when compared to red as a FLIR is tuned to Infrared light. Red lights up their display like crazy. Same thing for splashing in the water.

I'm going to get one of these:
Nautilus LifeLine Marine Rescue GPS

But I have to figure out if anyone on the Great Lakes or the Caribbean will actually respond to such a thing. Otherwise I'll get a regular PLB and some sort of metal cannister.

My problem is that the new Nautilus Lifeline is that it is one way with no speaker or microphone. You do not know if the signal was received by anyone. I have the two-way VHF radio they used to make. I can talk to a boat/CG or send a distress signal, my choice. With the new radio, I can only send a one-way distress, even if the boat is only a mile away. I personally do not trust the range on it. My boat with an 8' antenna and 25 watt radio did not have a long range. Being on the surface of the water with a 5 watt (?) radio and a short antenna just does not give me much confidence. If I am making a choice between the current NL and a PLB, it is easy and without a doubt, the PLB wins. At least I can trust that a satellite will have a better shot of picking up my distress and getting it to the proper authorities.

That is for the human eye. The FLIR really does not see it well when compared to red as a FLIR is tuned to Infrared light. Red lights up their display like crazy. Same thing for splashing in the water.
Good to know on both counts. I'm curious why splashing in the water is caught on a FLIR.

My 2 cents - blue wavelengths travel the farthest underwater and a strobe/flasher is more attention getting (also more buddy annoying - but I dive solo so not a consideration). If you want to be seen on the surface a high lumen, wide angle white light that has constant on, continuous flashing, and flashes SOS is my choice.

If you're just looking for something to make it easier for buddies to get track of each other underwater (mostly handy if diving with a group or when a dive op requires it) I don't think the color really matters so much. I'm partial to green. But strobing lights are annoying to others as are bright white lights shining in all directions underwater. Brighter is not always better.

If you're looking for something to use in more of an emergency or maybe to mark an exit point, look into proper strobes.

Addition: I often use my blue strobe/flashing light as a marker when diving at night. I put an ounce sinker on it with a foot or so of line. Really draws your attention from a distance.

I should have been more specific - I was thinking in terms of "what to hang off my tank valve for night or low vis diving, so my buddy can track me a little easier".

I was already thinking white (not strobe). I have a (white) GlowToob, and I've used green and yellow cyalumes. I've seen red ones, but they did seem to fade out pretty fast with distance.

I'm going to experiment with these: Brite Strike APALS AIR Light Strips - 2 Pack

Not specifically waterproof, but I'm curious, and they were on sale :)

Thanks for all the great info.

I hadn't thought about choosing a surface marker to be more visible to FLIR; that's interesting.

You are overthinking this. Your dive buddy will be able to see your dive light way before a marker light.

A tank marker is just an extra level of redundancy that is useless if your buddy is facing you since it will be hidden behind their body.

Get a marker light. Glow Sticks create excess garbage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom