best comp money can buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when I said the other diver lent me his spare, he was a dive master on the boat who had probably 7 computers on board with him, he dove with two and just had the others with him, I dont know why he carried so many but I was glad he did.

I, like you, am very new to this, and also just spent the money on what many people told me was one of the top of the line computers, and I bought the Aladin Z Nitrox, with the transmitter. I wanted to get rid of that extra hose, thats why I went with the transmitter style.

Question about the SmartComs...what was the deal with the recall they had on them last year? I know my cousin had one, and he had to send it back after about 20 dives with it.

planter:
I dont know why he carried so many but I was glad he did.

My guess is for situations just like yours. I don't know the tipping customs in Austrailia, but at least I'll bet he got a great big "Thank You".

Mark Vlahos

planter:
Hi I'm fairly new to diving, but wish to buy an air integrated comp prefer console type with both air and nitrox capability (for future possible use) I also want to be able to download my dives to my pc. I was considering either the Suunto cobra or Uwatec smart com. My instructor dives with the smart com and thinks its fantastic, but after reading some of the issues with recall etc I am unsure. Am I missing the big picture and should I be looking elsewhere, money is not the issue and I will pay what I have to.
P.S I live in Australia, I guess thats not relevant but I thought I would throw it in anyway.

Thanks in advance

Mate I too live in Oz.

I have a Suunto Vytec (used to have a Cobra) and like it a lot. The Suunto download interface is better than the Uwatec one.

I also have a VR3 (which IS the best computer money can buy) which I use for more complex diving.

abowie:
Mate I too live in Oz.

I have a Suunto Vytec (used to have a Cobra) and like it a lot. The Suunto download interface is better than the Uwatec one.

I also have a VR3 (which IS the best computer money can buy) which I use for more complex diving.

I have the VR3 and the explorer beats it hands down in my opinion. Moe modern alg (RGBM and Bullman vs bulhman only), much more readable display, comes with FREE dive planning software ... I have had both since they came out and have seen the good and bad from both.. The VR3 is my THIRD backup...
the Explorer IS the best computer money can buy..

The recall regarding the SmartComs addressed an issue where they would give a blank screen at depth. A handful of divers, including company sales reps testing the comps noticed the issue and the recall was issued for all SmartComs to ensure that the problem was corrected. I sent mine in and had a replacement very quickly. It was a brand new unit. No further problems have been experienced with the SmartCom, that I know of, since the recall.

Colin Berry

Finally the voice of reason. I dive a vytec and love it but i also have an spg clipped to the right lower d-ring. Redundancy saves lives.

My 2 cents. Oh, and my wife dives the Wisdom and loves it.

======================================================

Even if it did lose contact (and most likely it would only be for a few seconds) you should still dive with some kind of backup SPG or computer.

padiscubapro:
I have the VR3 and the explorer beats it hands down in my opinion. Moe modern alg (RGBM and Bullman vs bulhman only), much more readable display, comes with FREE dive planning software ... I have had both since they came out and have seen the good and bad from both.. The VR3 is my THIRD backup...
the Explorer IS the best computer money can buy..

I have a dive buddy that has an Explorer. When it works, he likes it very much. However, he does not trust it any more. On two occasions it died in the middle of a dive, and it has been back for repairs 4 times. If it were not for this very serious problem, I would agree with you. I like its features, how it operates, and the display, I just can't say that I would trust it. Every manufacturer of electronics goods can experience trouble with a product, sooner or later they will have a product that just does not work as planned. Untill they have shown that they have rectified the problems, I think I'll use some other product. There's lots to choose from out their.

Back
Top Bottom