Best computer for a New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One vote for the Nitek DUO by Dive Rite.

It is a bit more conservative than some of the ones listed above.

It is simple, it is clean, it is a puck design, it is NITROX, it is a two gas computer, it is intuitive.

The advantage of the puck design is that it can fit into a consul, or it can be worn as a wrist watch type, or you can get a bungie mount for it from DSS. Trust me, the bungie mount method is the way to go if you wear it on your wrist.

If and when you get to it, it is capable of two gasses. So you can grow with it.

It was nominated a couple of years ago as SCUBA Magazine Testers Choice as best value, I believe.

You are close to Dive Gear Express, formerly Dive Rite Express, in Ft. Lauderdale.

You can buy the gizmo to download your dives to your home computer. You can set the sampling rate in the computer from 5-30 seconds. It is $160, which is a bit steep.

The only other thing I wish it had different, was instead of an ascent gauge, it would give me my ascent in FPM. My Uwatec used to do that and that was nice, but that thing crapped out after a year.

If you end up diving in cold water, the buttons are big enough that you can push with gloves on.

Good luck.

My first computer was an Aeris XR1, it's as simple and basic as you can get and priced accordingly. Does what you listed as needs, doesn't do what you listed as nice to haves. Simple puck design, 1 button, user replaceable battery can be console or wrist mounted.

I also just purchased a Mares M2 Nitrox, but I haven't put in the water yet. It is a great value (closeout price at Scuba Toys is great) and the reviews I've read of it are excellent.

AceszHigh, I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I am looking at the Vyper Air as one possibility. DoogaDiver, what do you and others generally do for dive compasses if they are not integrated into the dive computers?

I just bought Oceanic Geos for my wife and I. Haven't used them yet, but we're reading all the manuals and other reference materials available on the Oceanic web site. They have all the functions you are looking for.

LeisurePro has the old style Goes listed on their web site for $275. Instead of ordering online, call them and ask if they have them in stock. If they don't, ask if they would like to sell you the new ones at that price. It can't hurt to ask.

Id put 3 requirements on any computer Id consider buying, wether youre a new or advanced diver..
- Nitrox capable
- Freshwater setting
- Altitude settings

They might seem unneccesary to a new diver, but you might end in one or more of the three needs sooner than you think.

I just bought a Hollis DG02 and love it so far. (It's very similar to the Geo with a few extras as I recall). My biggest complaint is that I will have to buy the PC interface cable. My Sunto Vyper (sadly lost) worked with a DIY interface so it didn't cost anything extra.

I have the Aeris Epic AI. It is the same computer basiclly as the Oceanic Atom 2 I believe.

I came from a Uwatec AI that worked great (and is now the wifies computer) but I wanted to have less hoses.

It downloads onto your computer and then you can pull up a query on whatever you like to compare dives. For instance, between Feb and June Coz trips I started riding my bicycle and my air consumption went way down for the same basic dives.

In my experiance, it's better to start off with the best you can afford at the time (with any sport) because sooner or later you'll end up with it and the previous purchase will just sit there until you sell it for a dime on the dollar. If you have the money, go AI and PC download for sure.

So, rorhound, do you use a spare spg or do you rely completely on your AI unit? Do you have any concerns that it may malfunction during a dive? I have read that others will use a spare pressure gauge as well. If that is the case, then why even go AI at all?

AceszHigh, I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I am looking at the Vyper Air as one possibility. DoogaDiver, what do you and others generally do for dive compasses if they are not integrated into the dive computers?

Razz, there are quite a few options for compasses, including those worn on the wrist and which can be clipped to the BC with a retractor, which is my preference. I find these to me much easier to center hold than a console mounted compass anyway, leading to greater accuracy, and they can be stowed in a pocket when not needed. One of the main reasons I love wearing a small wrist computer is the fact I get rid of the console, which reduces drag, improves air consumption, is one less hose to get entangled, and in general simplifies my setup.

I'll also add in response to your question about using a spare SPG: I don't use one, but I have considered it. I even considered adding a spare console with an SPG and depth gauge just to be be completely redundant, and honestly, the cost is not that high, and I would still have all of the added features of my computer, including the ability to download. I haven't yet gone that route, and likely won't for the reasons I mentioned above. I have fairly high confidence in the Atom 2.0. On the off chance I were to have a complete failure at depth, I automatically have a redundant system in the form of my dive buddy in order to have an idea of my depth and bottom time (although I do carry a back-up bottom timer). I should have a good idea of my tank pressure, as I regularly monitor that. The bottom line is, in the instance of a complete failure of my computer (which is just as likely to occur with a console unit as it is with a wrist worn unit with AI...the only real difference is a lack of a hose), I am going to begin to safely surface. That would be enough for me to simply call the dive. So, I suppose the question then becomes, is it worth it for me to drag around an extra hose on many dives so as to possibly extend my bottom time on the one in a million where my computer fails? Probably not. If I do find myself in the future moving toward solo diving, I will likely move toward redundant equipment all around. Great questions and discussion generators. Thanks for asking them.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom