Best computer for a New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, rorhound, do you use a spare spg or do you rely completely on your AI unit? Do you have any concerns that it may malfunction during a dive? I have read that others will use a spare pressure gauge as well. If that is the case, then why even go AI at all?

I purchased my computer set-up so I could have less hoses hanging off my reg. I love it. Because I want to be more "steamline" I do not use a spare spg. I have not had a problem with failure or the computer not reading the transmitter, nor have my other two friends that have the same set-up. With my computer I can, before the dive, program 2 other transmitters into the computer and check the amount of air on 2 other divers. With the group of people I dive with, we are all pretty close to the same on air consumption so in the case of complete computer failure, we know about how much air we have left to get to the surface. The bottom line is, I never dive to the point that I need to off gas more than the normal 3 minute safety stop. With 500 psi left in my tank I can perform my safety stop with plenty of air left when it's complete. If anything were to happen to my computer/air signal, I'll just surface. No biggie. I'd rather lose 1/2 a dive than guess at where my air is.

Now if I were a technical diver or going back into caves/wrecks with no straight up escape avenue, I probably would use a spare spg. But 99% of my diving is in the open water.

Weather you use a spare spg or not, I think an AI unit, hosed or remote, is the way to go for all the information it gives you vs a non AI computer. Pretty much takes the guess work out of it.

The bottom line is you need to use what makes you feel safe and confident while diving.

AceszHigh, I don't wish to throw your thread way off. As I am in a similar situation as you, I am hopefull that some of the answers to my additional questions will be helpful to you as well.

The input thus far and the discussion has been very helpful.

After thinking about things for a bit, I would agree that a compass incorperated in a dive watch is not something that I would likely use that often. I believe that I would like a stand alone unit that would be clipped to a D-ring along with a retractor. This then could be easily used when needed and one wouldn't need to search for and push various buttons for various lengths of times on a wrist computer.

I understand the idea of trying to decrease the number of hoses in order to become more streamlined. How far do most people take this? I just recently read about the SCUBAPRO AIR2 alternate air source which would allow eliminating yet even another hose via the Octo. At first glance this sounds like an interesting idea.

If people decide to go with an air integrated computer with a transmitter, it may be prudent to at least bring a spare SPG along with the gear so as not to ruin a dive vacation. This could be attached if needed. Probably, the best way to have this insurance would be to have an inexpensive combination SPG/depth console as a backup. This along with a timer and you would be all set and could just dive tables for the rest of the trip.

I see that Oceanic has a $200 rebate on the Atom 2.0 and the VT3 (with transmitter). This offer is good thru 8/31/09.

-Mark

Not to get too far off topic, but I have to jump in to encourage you to NOT go with an Air2.

Eliminating a hose and streamlining is all good, but in a stressful situation those combo inflator/regulators are hard to use. Imagine this: your buddy runs out of air and you give them your Air2. Then you ascend... and YOUR inflator controls are not at your fingertips, but sticking out of your buddy's mouth!

Back on topic: having had a couple of computers with integrated compasses, I still much prefer a separate mechanical compass.

And, despite having a wireless AI computer myself, I still leave a compact depth/SPG console on my rig. It's clipped out of the way--I never even notice it. But if I need it, it's there.

Just my two cents.

I would forego the wrist mounting and go with an Aeris ai with integral compass mount. It's air integrated, nitrox programmable, deco friendly, computer downloadable, and the quick disconnect hose feature lets you bring it up to your room to log dives without having to haul the reg system up too. Plus, having the compass out on the end of your gauge hose lets you swim a lot more naturally than with that "arm crossed chest at 90 degree" nonesense that is suggested in most text books.

It's my number one recommendation to new students and experienced divers as well.

I have the Air2. So I only have my 2nd stage hose and my inflater/Air2 hose coming off my reg.

I had the quick disconnect Uwatec AI computer and while I liked it, I like the hoseless better. I would have still been using the Uwatec but the wifie needed a new computer, which means I got the new computer and she got the Uwatec. Personal preferance.

In our group we have several back-up computers and regs so if one fails no one is missing a second dive.

As far as the Air2 goes, I think if your buddy has a problem he's going to rip the reg out of your mouth instead of trying to get your octo unclipped or fiddling with your inflator hose. We've never had that happen, but the one guy I know that has had a problem says that's what happened to him. I think the Air2 is for you to use because of the short length of the hose. It's not a bad idea to use it once in awhile just to get the feel for it incase of an emergency.

Opinions are great but in the end it's your equipment. If you have any doubts at all, go with what you're comfortable with. What works for some may not be your cup of tea.

Happy diving.

Not to get too far off topic, but I have to jump in to encourage you to NOT go with an Air2.

Eliminating a hose and streamlining is all good, but in a stressful situation those combo inflator/regulators are hard to use. Imagine this: your buddy runs out of air and you give them your Air2. Then you ascend... and YOUR inflator controls are not at your fingertips, but sticking out of your buddy's mouth!

Back on topic: having had a couple of computers with integrated compasses, I still much prefer a separate mechanical compass.

And, despite having a wireless AI computer myself, I still leave a compact depth/SPG console on my rig. It's clipped out of the way--I never even notice it. But if I need it, it's there.

Just my two cents.

Why wouldn't you do what is taught in certification and give your primary to your buddy while you breathe off of the inflator / alternate air source?

You're absolutely right, I misremembered that tiny detail in my haste to post. :wink: But the criticism of the device is the same. OK, it's sticking out of your mouth but it is still harder to operate in that position than a dedicated inflator. If you are keeping a nice horizontal profile on your ascent, you might have to take the thing out of your mouth and raise it to vent your BCD.

Neither is a super big deal, but if you are in a situation that's gone to hell, any extra task loading is a bit of a risk. You'd certainly have to practice with the thing to make sure you could still operate it well when you were using it as a reg.

In the end, I wouldn't want one because I'd much rather have the operation of my inflator stay completely unchanged. Having another hose on the rig is a small price to pay for that, in my opinion. I'd also prefer to have my backup around my neck, which I think is a much superior configuration though that is certainly a new topic.

Maybe all y'all with the strong desire for fewer hoses are diving naked or something, but in my drysuit, what's another hose? If it's routed properly, I don't even notice it and it just does its job.

I have a Gekko and am happy with it.

My 2 dive buddies have the Nitek Duo and are happy with it.

I think you mentioned that you were now hooked on scuba. Could be wrong and wouldn't be the first.

What type of diving are you wanting to do, not just now but are you looking to get into technical diving? Or just diving on vacation or as a pass time.

I bought a computer that did all the things I though I needed, but when I started getting into technical diving I needed to buy a new computer, one that will let me switch between multiple gases on the fly. Now I have the VR3 and love it. Plus I can play games on it. It is most likely overboard for the standard diver but look to the future also.

I hope that makes sense.

If you don't know how a piece of equipment work, please don't give bad advices to newbie divers.

The inline octo (Air2, SS1, Rite Source, et al) is not to be given to YOUR buddy. It goes into YOUR OWN MOUTH. Your main second stage goes to your buddy.

Since that the inline octo is in your mouth and not your buddy's mouth, the controls are right there at your finger tips.

To the OP, the best computer for a newbie is the one that he or she can afford. Let us know how much you want to spend and what kind of diving you plan on doing and we can help give you some guidance. Dive computers run the gamut from $250 to $2000.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom