Best CPR/First Aid Class EVER!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

art.chick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just renewed my CPR/First Aid certifications today thru a local diving instructors agency program. It was so much fun, I hope that if I ever get to put together such a program, I will be able to apply the clever format.

The instructor had videos to explain proceedure, but he elaborated on priciples with personal anecdotes. He was humorous but pertinent. We got our practical experience with the Annie dolls under the supervision of a life guard who had anecdotes of her own to contribute. It made the lessons seem more real.

Then we moved on to the First Aid section. While we watched the video, the instructor & his very talented wife slipped out of the room to prepare "accident scenes" with realistically made-up "victims" (their pre-teen sons.) When we entered the "accident" scenes, we could see immediately what the symptoms of the boys were - shock, compound fractures, capillary bleeding, 3rd degree burns, etc. We practiced prioritizing injuries, talking to the victim & gathering information on the accidents, splinting & applying pressure bandages. It was a great way to illustrate the points of first aid training. Other classes I have taken in first aid just involve someone saying, "this guy has a concussion & a broken ankle." In this case, we had to diagnose visually & ask the kids what happened.

This was the most effective & fun way to present this material that I have ever seen. I hope that other classes adopt this format or elaborate on it.

Hey there art.chick, I had somewhat a good class like that several years ago. I was taking a frist aid class through the Navy and they had some realistically made-up victims, it did make the class alot better.

Good for you, keep plugging away at your AI and before you know it you will be done and ready for the next class :wink: and the next and the next.

Rich :mean:

I need encouragement. Have a great instructor helping me out now, but I have been working on this since Sept., & I have been assisting a lot, but the final stretch has really stretched out.

Glad to hear that the Navy has such an appealing program. Does it not make a difference to see the injuries? It is so easy with phony-looking mannequins to forget how to handle a real person. You have a real, frightened, & endangered person in real emergencies. My pet peeve is rescuers who rip out your reg with no regards for your dental insurance! Thanks for sharing, Buddy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom