Best crap 40 USD Go Pro clone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Apeman one. It’s the one that’s waterproof to 40 meters.

Works fine.

I cannot speak to the cam that you linked to, but it seems to have some good features for the price point.

I have the Apeman one. It’s the one that’s waterproof to 40 meters.

Works fine.

As Marie13 pointed out, the Apeman housing is really good down deep. I have had mine to 36m with zero problems. Some GoPro users have reported button issues beyond 25m due to compression on the case.

I just got back from Cozumel and my girlfriend actually bought the overpriced "Trip Video" from the dive op. It's just as well because there are very few videos or pictures of me to show the grandkids :wink: The videos she bought are from two different GoPros. I think they said they were models 4 and 5. Personally, I don't see any significant difference in the quality of the videos other than one of them was a little brighter and their video of some nurse sharks looked a little better than mine due to the brightness factor. I'm going to try shooting with +1 on my next dive and see if it helps. I'm using a red filter that I bought from China on ebay for a couple of bucks and the colors are very comparable to the GoPro red filters, at least on the two cameras they were using. The bottom line here is that I would say that my SJ7000 is quite comparable and the main drawback is finding filters that fit the housing without modifications. Just so you'll know my background, I have been shooting movies/videos since the days of Super 8, VHS, and then 8mm video. I am a neurotic Aspie and had my own darkroom and several Canon cameras along with some very expensive lenses so I would consider myself to be very picky. Some day I may break down and spend $$$$$ on a real, professional quality underwater video camera, but for the most part I'm satisfied with my $42 SJ7000 when compared to the $500 or so GoPros. I also have some raw files from a GoPro 3 from a few years ago and I thought the colors looked unnatural and exaggerated with the red filter that was on that particular camera. The one drawback on my SJ7000 is that I'm shooting 720 X 1280 X 60 FPS because it looks less "shaky" at the lower resolution but I can probably fix that with editing software. I bought a couple of extra housings on ebay for less than $4 each to play around with--I painted the inside black to prevent glare from the rear and removed the clear port and installed the red filter directly into the housing to eliminate other problems. These things are cheap enough that I have one with a red filter and one without along with video lights so I can shoot natural light, video lights, or in shallow water by choosing the right camera/filter/light combo for each situation. Heck, the cheap ($18) video lights are so good I didn't even use a flashlight on a recent night dive. Just don't buy the "lightdow" brand (leaked on first dive). The "Shoot" brand has been excellent except the buttons needed to loosen up a bit from use.

Edit: I just want to point out that for above-water use the sound quality on the SJ7000 is rather poor, but the bubble sounds underwater turn out just fine.

Back
Top Bottom