Best Dive Destination For Wreck, Cave and Deep Tech Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florida (USA) is your best choice. You can dive awesome wrecks from 70' to 400' just a couple of miles off shore in South Florida or the keys (reefs and wrecks), lots of shops to get trimix, then (if in Pompano) jump in your rental car, dive 5 hours on interstate highways and be in cave country, High Springs. No place else on earth that you can dive that easy with that many choices.

And, mid state off Melbourne/Canaveral/Daytona area there are "real" wrecks from WW2. Just a bit harder to dive, logistical.

You could start in Key West, dive tech wrecks and world class reefs all the way up the keys, hit Broward county, dive more tech wrecks and reefs, then drive to Cave County. And you can drink the water!

+1 for Florida. I just don't think you're going to find everything you're asking for in one location anywhere else.

Bahamas and Dominican, assuming you are not tech and cave trained, move there for several months and that should do it.

.... but I am really looking for a spot where all three dive types can be done and a place I can call home for a few years.
There is NONE anywhere in the world to cover all three categories.

Split the time between France or South Africa(cave + deep tec) and Truk(wreck).

Bahamas and Dominican, assuming you are not tech and cave trained, move there for several months and that should do it.

I am tech trained and have been looking at the Bahamas.

There is NONE anywhere in the world to cover all three categories.

As stated above. Florida. Live in Jupiter, Fl, world class reefs, wrecks, an hour drive south and even more wrecks and reefs, 3 hour drive north, Cave Country. Plus, you can run 2 hours west and be on the west coast with even more possibilities and a whole different "ocean".

Off Jupiter you can dive a deep reef, a small cave and if lucky see great white sharks, along with hammerheads, sawfish, bulls, duskys, gray reef. That is if you like diving with sharks while diving a cave/cavern in 140'

France for caves and north Italy for deep wrecks? You can easily reach Malta and Gozo from there as well :)

Gotta like the American perspective that if it doesn’t exist in the USA it doesn’t exist.

New Zealand has all of the required dives. Cave, deep technical, and deep wrecks.

Talk to simo at global dive. He was on a trip with me to the Atlanta in Solomon Islands. He would be a great guy dive with.

Http://www.globaldive.net/page/team_member/id/a2077e3a-844b-11e5-a008-ac87a30ef02c

No, he asked for a location that had encompassed cave, wreck, and deep diving. From my conversations speaking with a Kiwi, New Zealand has a few short lava tubes and maybe one or two caves that can be washed out for months at a time.

Florida has dozens of cave and wrecks sites within recreational limits and a good assortment of deep wreck/cave sites. I said in my initial post that as far I knew Florida was the only location that offered all three within one flight destination; when you say New Zealand has cave and wreck diving, what sites are you referring to? Can you name five of each?

Gotta like the American perspective that if it doesn’t exist in the USA it doesn’t exist..

Florida has over 3200 wrecks/artificial reefs, over 250 diveable cave systems and still growing. Depths of the wrecks, from 15' to 500', caves, massive crystal clear passages to muddy sidemounts and everything in between. None of these are more than a days drive from each other.

This is completely true, I could leave Jupiter inlet in the morning, dive a deep reef (with a "cave" Hole in the Wall), a deep wreck, then dive (or free dive) a wreck (Gulfland) from WW2, get back to the dock by 1, drive 3 hours and be diving Ginnie Springs before dark. (btw, you could also technically dive a Spanish Galleon off Jupiter also)

Or, lets say, leave Hillsboro Inlet (Broward county) early morning, drop in on the Hydro Atlantic in 180' ("real" wreck), scooter that wreck, with great penetration areas, then scooter on to the reef, then scooter past 2 more wrecks (artificial reefs) in about 60' then scooter on to another reef, more sand then scooter to another reef. Be back at the dock before lunch, drive 5 hours to Ginnie Springs, and again, be cave diving before sunset.

Those are just to of literally 100's of options (have not even discussed the Keys or West Coast of Florida, nor the panhandle). Not saying Florida is unique, but I will bet you there is NO place on earth that you can do that, with that type of quality or availability. But I would love to hear it if there is a place like this. Does New Zealand have those numbers and options? Dont forget logistical support also, if your car were to break down on just about any road in Florida, you would be in walking distance to a dive shop!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom