Best diving computer on the Market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've yet to come across a post of someone that has a Perdix and says something negative about it.
And I've yet to see a post from someone having a Perdix and another computer saying that they like the other better.

I have posted all this before, but I'm certain my posts have been drowned out by the flood of people who disagree. :D

I had a Petrel 2. I sold it because I did not like the "brick"-like size and shape. I liked the Seabear H3 that I had better. The H3 broke last year and I replaced it with a Teric.

I bought a Perdix AI when they came out. I just sold it - again, because I don't like the size and shape. I have 2 Shearwater Terics now, because I like them much better than the Perdix AI.

I use my Shearwater computers for open circuit technical trimix dives and for CCR diving (as well as normal recreational diving, of course).

Hello,

That's my first post here.
Like the OP I'm in the market for a new dive computer. I've got a Suunto Vyper at the moment and it mostly does the job.
I'm trying to pass a CMAS *** certification and there are quite a few technical procedures that would be a lot easier with a wrist-style (as in permanently lit, big screen, worn on the arm) computer. That would be also an added security feature when I'm certified and lead novice divers.

I've been reading this thread (and others around here) and the consensus seems to be that Shearwater Perdix is the one to get. However I'm based in Europe and the prices usually quoted here are USD and don't really match what I see in Europe in EUR. There are feature-equivalent (or so it looks to me) computers for half the price of the Perdix.

Considering the wide experience of members here I would appreciate some feedback on the computers available to me (prices are all in EUR). I've made a shortlist of computers that will allow me to potentially get towards multi-gas deco (if I ever get there).
- Perdix AI: 900EUR
- Perdix AI + transmitter: 1250EUR
- Divesoft Freedom Basic Nitrox - www.divesoft.cz/de/products/69-freedom-basic-nitrox/ - 641.30EUR
- Ratio iX3M Easy - www.ratio-computers.eu/en/ix3m-gps-dive-...y-0762307939055.html - 799EUR
- OSTC Sport - heinrichsweikamp.com/ostcsport2.html - 495EUR
- OSTC 2 TR - heinrichsweikamp.com/ostcsport2.html - 625EUR
- divecomputer.eu/ - 575EUR
- Liquivision Lynx + transmitter - liquivisioncomputers.com/lynx-air-integrated-computer.php - 649EUR
- Scubapro G2 + transmitter - https://ww2.scubapro.com/en-GB/SWE/instruments/computers/products/g2.aspx - 865EUR

As you can see the Perdix + transmitter is 2 times more expensive than the Lynx + transmitter.
The divecomputer.eu looks like the best price/feature option as it comes in with all features enabled.
The Lynx looks like the best price/feature for a AI computer.

Happy to hear any feedback.

Cheers,
--
Arnaud
One feature you seem to forget is support. Divecomputer is a somewhat clone of SW, but it is a relatively new company, with unknown user support. SW are legendary. Pay once and cry once.

quite expensive
You get what you pay for.

The prices for the Perdix do look pretty uniform (less than 100EUR difference for the full pack) wherever I look online.
I paid $1525AU with the TX, that's €961
Edit: I just checked and they're a bit dearer now, €1040.
I've yet to come across a post of someone that has a Perdix and says something negative about it.
And I've yet to see a post from someone having a Perdix and another computer saying that they like the other better.
This is why I decided on it.

I have a Perdix and a Teric. The Teric is easier to read. Both are fine

Okay I'll put my head above the parapet with @stuartv :D

Being objective, when you side by side compare all the high end computers there is little to separate them, ignoring price differences (because different regions have different pricing and separation). They all do the same thing.

Currently I'm using an Eon Steel (+700 dives) Perdix AI (+150 dives) and have been loaned an OSTC Plus that I've put 30 dives on. So I would like to think I have a different perspective from those who just use one brand.

What it comes down to in reality is personal preferences. With only 30 dives on the OSTC I can't say too much except that I rate it above the Perdix because of it's superior screen

When it comes to the Perdix it has more negatives than positives - but here I'm really nit picking. The Screen is it's major downside, it has too much reflection and has a narrow viewing angle, where as the other two as easier to read at a glance. The straps I junked with its cheap plastic clips. I use it in Rec Mode because of its cleaner display. What annoys me here it the "nanny mode" of it artificially limiting the MOD of gasses to 40m.

Both the OSTC and the Perdix use 2 buttons for their menus so if you miss something there is a lot of button pressing. Where as the Eon uses 3 buttons which is much nicer

Algorithms get cited a lot. I can assure readers that the Fused RGBM isn't conservative. Indeed on its -2 setting its slightly more liberal than the Perdix/OSTC at 45/95 But the differences really aren't worth worrying about (1min). If I set the Perdix to Adaptive safety stop, then again it will give me a generally longer stop than the Eon, and this would be on dives where I'm on a scooter with a sawtooth profile - basically hitting all the supposed conservatisms of the Eon.

The Eon will apparently lock you out if you miss a mandatory deco stop by 3 mins - I've never missed one yet and If I did it would mean I deserve to sit on the bench through poor planning or I've bigger things to worry about other than divign for 48 hrs

Later this year the Eon steel will be getting Buhlmann in addition to Fused RGBM.

The Eon (and Core) have by far by a mile the best screen and the best information layout and breadth of customisation of info

The Eon isn't' without minor niggles. my biggest annoyance is that it can only display one gas rather than 2 on the Perdix. Although I don't' use AI on my Sidemount the fact Suunto still haven't made this available pushes my button. Also if your diving in just a rash vest the Eon Steel is heavy.

Both the Eon and OSTC are rechargeable I've not seen any degradation in my Eons' battery after 4 years. I prefer the rechargeable option - others do not

The Eon's charging cable is yoru download cable - where as teh Perdix couples via bluetooth. The Bluetooth works well on mobile devices but not on my Windows 7 machine. I gave up. (For the record my Win 7 machine is very, very high spec for 3D Cad not some entry level machine) But if you lose of break the charging cable, that would be an issue.

There are some things on the Perdix I prefer, the ability to turn it off rather than wait for it to auto shut down, The fact you can disable gasses unlike the Eon which considers every gas loaded (and assigned to transmitter) to be onboard. For reliability my Eon has its depth sensor fail at 400 dives - however my Wife's Eon has a similar number of dives without problem, and I know 4 friend who dive6 Eon's between them also have experienced no problems.

But overall I'm at best ambivalent to the Perdix even after 150 dives it really doesn't live up to the hype. It's not a bad machine but it also isn't' streets ahead in any way and given ts screen I'd say it's lacking.

Later this year I'll personally be looking to either get another Eon or if I can lay my hands on one, an OSTC 4. Before anyone else PM's me, the Perdix won't be sold but kept as a loaner.

In Summary there is no one best computer - you need to weigh up the pro's and cons of each for yourself. User changeable batteries vs rechargeable might be a deal breaker for some for instance. However people who rave about the Perdix being the best thing, ought to get experience from one of the alternatives to get more perspective, because really it's not.

Sounds like all the nits you picked on the Perdix were solved with the Teric. The four buttons are very nice. I was quite pleased by its absolute value for ascent rate instead of just bars but that could just be how my brain is wired.

Not being able to turn off gasses you aren’t carrying seems like a big oversight that could be corrected in a firmware update.

Carrying both gives you the two gasses for sidemount along with the things you like about the eon. I would be bothered by the two interfaces.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom