Best diving computer on the Market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like all the nits you picked on the Perdix were solved with the Teric. The four buttons are very nice. I was quite pleased by its absolute value for ascent rate instead of just bars but that could just be how my brain is wired.

Not being able to turn off gasses you aren’t carrying seems like a big oversight that could be corrected in a firmware update.

Carrying both gives you the two gasses for sidemount along with the things you like about the eon. I would be bothered by the two interfaces.

From what I've seen of the Teric - having it on my wrist and playing with it, I did like it. I've never dived it of course. I dismissed it purely on its form factor and havign a small screen. It's purely a personal choice rather than a criticism. I wonder how the new Suunto D5 will compare. I have to say I am much in favour of havign both graphics and numbers to display certain values (like gas) where you just need to glance at the position of the display rather than "read" a number consciously. Much like the fuel gauge in a car.

The issue of turning on and off gasses is nothing more than laziness really. It requires a similar number of button presses to remove or add a gas on the Eon as it does to switch on and off gasses on the Perdix. I would prefer to have all my gassess configured but the times I need more than 2 are pretty limited.

With SM I'm currently happy with SPG's, I'm using AI less and less overall for no particular reason, and given my lack of enthusiasm for the Perdix I'm not inclined to add their Tx to my gear. Time will tell of course

Forgive me for my ignorance, and it is my very first post here on the forum, but Kikoz is just starting out to getting his own gear, and he's an advanced diver, which basically means that he probably has no clue about Tec Diving.
So a Shearwaters VPM-B vs whatever is probably beyond his knowledge. Of course I could be wrong.
Suunto is fine for his level, and even better for me the Cressi Giotto which also gives him 3 Gas Mixes (well 2 Nitrox) which can keep him happy until Tec 45.
can't agree more :)

does Garmin MK1 support Nato strap (2-point connection)?

Being objective, when you side by side compare all the high end computers there is little to separate them, ignoring price differences (because different regions have different pricing and separation). They all do the same thing.

Hi DD,

I liked your post and respect your opinions.

I liked that you tried to be truly objective (as much as anyone can be objective about a personal decision).

I sensed little or no confirmation bias nor cognitive bias.

As always, I enjoyed reading your post.

markm

Sounds like all the nits you picked on the Perdix were solved with the Teric.

The Teric screen is even smaller (1.4") than the Perdix (2.2"), let alone the Eon steel, OSTC plus (2.4") or the OSTC4 (3.2").
Sure if you like a wristwatch computer that you can wear in your office as well, Teric is nice. But many divers prefer a large display dive computer particularly if visibility isn't always perfect (or vision as they age), and they don't need it as a wristwatch out of the water. I personally rather buy a nice wristwatch for office days, and a dive computer designed for diving.

The Teric screen is even smaller (1.4") than the Perdix (2.2"), let alone the Eon steel, OSTC plus (2.4") or the OSTC4 (3.2").
Sure if you like a wristwatch computer that you can wear in your office as well, Teric is nice. But many divers prefer a large display dive computer particularly if visibility isn't always perfect (or vision as they age), and they don't need it as a wristwatch out of the water. I personally rather buy a nice wristwatch for office days, and a dive computer designed for diving.

Hi leadduck,

+1 You got my philosophy on this issue perfect except I like a nice Timex for the office and everyday. I like throw-away watches (one and done).

markm

I thought that until I bought the Teric which I use side by side with the Perdix. The Teric screen is utilized in a way that makes the actual size of the displayed characters similar in size and easier to see at a glance. I have not used the other two so I can't comment on if they are easier to read underwater. I will say that I spent the money in part to have a device that was unfailingly easy to read and use and the Perdix met that goal and the Teric meets it at an even higher level. I do not use a wrist watch and if I did it wouldn't be a Teric sized device.

Thanks @markmud

When discussing PDC's some people have very fixed ideas and opinions. I did try to keep it balanced, although I do feel the Perdix is a disappointment overall.

That said. The Perdix was no more than a year behind the Eon, by which time it's hardware and major software was no doubt set in stone. Shearwater have done an outstanding job of transitioning their products from purely tech to serving both Rec and Tec without alienating either camp

They also have been reticent on adopting new technologies, waiting them to mature first. Remember AI was detested by many before the Perdix AI - now it's accepted. Rechargeable batteries were the same, now on Teric you have them. A smart move to slowly introduce new features to their customer base.

Sometimes their hard core fans are somewhat blinkered in believing that only Shearwaters' interpretation of a technology is reliable - where in reality its nothing different to the rest.

Purely conjecture on my part. But I would guess (hope) that a Perdix replacement is in development utilizing the lessons being learned from the Teric with regard to screen quality and information display.

The Strong point of the Eon is the fact you have 3 main choices on teh display of information. From mainly graphical to "classic" (just numbers) and a mid point. So they cater for most tastes. The customisation of the way you choose to view secondary data and how is class leading

I understand that bluetooth is with us whether we like it or not, it certainly makes for easier case design. I'm ambivalent about batteries, although my preference is rechargeable units with big internal batteries.

My pet beef with computers is that when someone asks about one, the prevailing consensus is to buy a top of the range one. Often citing Buy once cry once. Meh!

Following the forums, I've witness so many moving from the Predator to teh Perdix, then the Perdix AI now the Teric, so my advice is always to buy the computer which meets your immediate needs (and price range now) buying something now, because you think you'll be moving into Tec down the line, I feel is silly because invariably a newer model will be around by then.

Of course buying just because "you want" and can afford is okay too - I've been as guilty of that as anyone :D

I thought that until I bought the Teric which I use side by side with the Perdix. The Teric screen is utilized in a way that makes the actual size of the displayed characters similar in size and easier to see at a glance.

With only 40% of the screen area of the Perdix, and about 34% of a OSTCplus, it should be pretty obvious that the characters have to be either smaller, and/or more dense, and/or less information displayed. That may be totally OK for an NDL diver for example, but as soon as you have more than one gas, AI, want to see a ceiling and next stop and so on, the bigger screen rules.

With only 40% of the screen area of the Perdix, and about 34% of a OSTCplus, it should be pretty obvious that the characters have to be either smaller, and/or more dense, and/or less information displayed. That may be totally OK for an NDL diver for example, but as soon as you have more than one gas, AI, want to see a ceiling and next stop and so on, the bigger screen rules.
The usable screen of the Teric is 2.1 sq inches. 1.44" in diameter. The usable screen of the Perdix is 2.43 sq inches. 1.81" x 1.34". That is 86% of the usable surface area of the Perdix. The contrast is not at all similar. The Teric has a completely black background and the brightness and resolution means it is more highly visible and readable. Critical numbers are in a font almost identical to the Perdix which means they are far more discernible at a glance. There is often a decimal place used on data that isn't available on the Perdix. The compass around the perimeter of the screen face is brilliant and changes the way my brain uses navigation, making it a natural process without need for action. The use of the screen area on the Teric is a huge leap forward from other products I have seen and used. The Teric is currently the most satisfying investment we have made in scuba gear. The gas blending station at home would have to rank as second.

Edit to add
I actually completely overlook how nice the smaller form factor is but it is really nice. It is easier to don and doff gear when you don't have a brick on your wrist. To me the joy of the interface and how easy it is to see the data on the screen are where I experience the joy of using the Teric. The rest is cream on top.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom