Best diving locations...in the world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You dove in the Red Sea? I am going in August, but I am doubting that I can use my own equipment. Seems that countries other than US & Caribbean use DIN regulator/tank connectors and mine is a yoke style. Having a terrible time finding an adaptor from yoke to DIN for a Sherwood reg. Do you recall what the tank/reg fitting style was, yoke or DIN?

all DIN tanks that I have seen until now can be fitted with a small nut adapter to convert to yoke.

they had those nuts in Egypt too, so no problem for you.

1. North Carolina, USA

2. Truk Lagoon, Chuuk Micronesia

3. Sea of Cortez, Baha Mexico

OK... now the why...

1. North Carolina USA provides everything diving has to offer in one single spot. It is among the top three spots in the world for wreck diving (Truk and Scapa Flow are the other two,) is warm (in the gulf stream with temps in the 70F-80F range,) offers large animal encounters (Sand Tigers, occassional Bull and other sharks, large rays etc..,) and aquatic life from exotic Lionfish to tropicals like Angels and Hogfish, spearfishing for everything from Grouper, to Cobia to Spades, Triggers, Sheepshead etc... and is like swimming in fish soup. So lets summarize - world class wrecks, large animals, warm water and did I forget to mention - vis that often exceeds 100ft!

2. Truk Lagoon - Replay much of what I said above... only Japanese ships instead of German and US...different fish, shark and ray species. The only reason I list NC 1 and Truk 2 is that NC is much closer for me here in the USA.

3. Sea of Cortez... OK this may come as a surprise, but after pondering long and hard about spots I loved... I decided this diving was fantastic for a couple of reasons. We had Sea Lions playing with us on every dive and the insane night dives we had with critters you won't see anywhere else - in these numbers sets it apart.

First choice is Red Sea, then GBR. I'd do Red Sea in Sept so you cansee the schooling hammerheads. You can use your regular gear there.

New Zealand - the best diving in the world.

Reefs and critters - either the Poor Knights islands or Volkner Rocks. Both are 100% no take marine reserves. The Poor Knights has been a marine reserve since 1981. Volkner Rocks is amazing, and you can also dive the nearby White Island - a live volcano. Check out this video clip of diving at Volkners:

Te Paepae o Aotea (Volkner Rocks): Protecting our seas DVD

When filming a BBC domumentary here, one of the U/W cameramen rated Volkner Rocks as one of the best diving sites they had ever seen.

Wrecks - plenty, probably the best in recreational depth limits is the Mikhail Lermontov, a Russian crusie liner that sank under a cloud of intrigue in 1986. In terms of largest diveable ship wrecks in the world, she is up there and is a fantastic dive. In additiont there are purpose sunk navy frigates, the Rainbow Warrior and many more....

Good diving conditions? Well, come in our summer - February/March is the warmest. Water temperature will be up around 20-21 degC in the north. Visibility is variable, but on a bad day will still be 15m at the Poor Knights or Volkners. A good day will be 30-40m+. Exchange rate is favourable for most visitors - making it a cheap trip (other than the flight).

Simply the best diving you can get.

I think some of the best diving in the world is right off our coast of S. CA in the channel islands. Where else can you see 100' Kelp, nuki's, sharks, Sea Lions, and an abundance of top side wildlife as well? Granted, it's cold water diving, but those environments are very packed with life.

If you want weird, and wonderful, the coasts of Asia fit the Bill. I've not been there, but I've sure seen a ton of photo's and video's. Of course our stuff may seem weird and wonderful to them, so it is a matter of perspective.

Sea of Cortez, Baha Mexico
**snip**
3. Sea of Cortez... OK this may come as a surprise, but after pondering long and hard about spots I loved... I decided this diving was fantastic for a couple of reasons. We had Sea Lions playing with us on every dive and the insane night dives we had with critters you won't see anywhere else - in these numbers sets it apart.

This has to be the most under-reported dive site. Fantastic diving, multiple varieties of large pelagics, and the seamounts...

My fav!

I'm a serious cold water fan myself.

I vote for California, all the way from the Southern Channel islands all the way up to the wild North Coast.

In the Southern region there are several great dive boats that service the area and do multi day trips out to the islands. The fares are very reasonable and the diving is the most unrestricted I've ever experienced. Monterey also has a good fleet of dive operators and offers some very pristine diving.

The North Coast is wild with no dive ops, but if you can manage to get a glimpse there are giant red abalone available for take and it is some of the most overgrown and pristine diving the state has to offer.

I know it's not tropical, but I figured I'd put a plug in for it anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom