Best fins for high instep and wide foot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buza831

Reaction score
# of dives
My son has an extremely high instep and wide feet. I purchased him some split fins but they dont fit well. We do mostly warm water diving. Can someone advise. I love Force Fins but he doesn't care for them. Any suggestions???

Thanks

get him to do more dives in the forcefin, they just take a little while to get used to, because they feel so different. but the open foot pocket of the FF is the best way for this type of foot, just might have to size up one to get a comfortable fit.

I have the same problem. I use Apollo full foot fins. They run wide and large, are made of very smooth natural rubber, are extremely comfortable, and an excellent warm water fin for both scuba and snorkeling. People with average sized feet usually need to use a boot of some sort with these fins, but they fit me fine as they are.

Depends on what watwr temps and where you are diving. What size boots is he wearing? Best thing is to take them to a shop and start trying things on. With any thing like this it's best especially if you are an odd or hard to fit size there is no substitute for actually trying them on. I have heard that turtles will fit a sasquatch though!

Sp jet fins, size xxl if those dont fit, prob. donsnt need fins

:rofl3:

Go with strap, open heel fins. Scuba pro jets, most mares and aeris are all quite wide. Stay away from closed heel, IMHO, he should't be using these for scuba anyway.

I personally think the only option is to see a plastic surgeon and get him to place some webbing between his toes by grafting some skin.
Sorry 'bout that. Jets or turtles may work. What kind of bootie is he wearing?

IMHO, full foot fins are generally better than open heel fins. They are more efficient, more comfortable, and simply a superior design, especially for scuba. The only reason, IMHO, to resort to clunky open heel fins is colder water, when thick boots are needed. I often see vacationing divers in tropical locations using open heel fins, with thick neoprene boots. My assumption is that they don't own a good pair of full-foot fins, and so must adapt their cold water gear as best they can. How sad for them.

I think the suggestion regarding skin grafts is good. Really serious divers might consider having their feet flattened in a wine press.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom