Best Hawaiian Island for Diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronrosa:
Dove both Maui and Big Island. Enjoyed Maui diving, but definitely prefferred the Big Island topside and for diving.

Oh, and one other thing. I guess you haven't heard, but the Big Island has the manta ray night dive. Do a little research. This is something you don't want to miss.

I agree with RonRosa. I tend to prefer the Big Island but both are good.

Tom Winters:
There were a bunch of places that I wanted to dive in Hawaii while I lived there, but I never got around to them. Oahu has some awesome diving, but most of the spots are not on any commercial itineraries - too remote or maybe a little too hairy for most divers.
I did some great dives on Molokai from Kaunakakai to Laau Point - the sea cliffs on the Kaluapapa side looked awesome but are probably diveable only on a handful of days each year. No one gets out there much.
I managed to shoot 7 tons of bullets at Kahoolawe during one long day of Naval Gunfire Support training, but I never got to dive there - I knew some guys who did bomb clearance who had a ball diving in those waters.
When the village of Kalapana on the Big Island was eaten by lava, I ran into a guy who was shooting the offshore lava flows for National Geo I think. That sounded pretty cool. He got sucked into an underwater downdraft and went from 20' to 180' in seconds, but he knew what he was doing so he was ok.
I would pass on some of the stuff Chris Newbert did diving down the FAD buoys offshore at night to 200' to see what came up to see him. Even I have my limits now.
I know that none of this helps you - you're looking for dive operator recommendations. There's good ops on all the islands.
For a tourist, go for Maui or the Big Island Kona side. Kona I still recommend Dive Makai. Plus both islands have a Costco which might come in handy or not.

I spent six months out there picking up your bullets. Now it's Hawaiian lands and you have to get special permission to visit.

If this is your first trip to Hawaii, I suggest more topside activities, particularly on the Big Island. On Maui, I recommend Maui Dive Shop. 2 days of diving will give you all the flavor, Molokini (front and back) and a maybe a 3 tank trip to Lanai. The cathedrals are not to be missed. Degas a day, then head up to Haleakala (10K') for sunrise. You will not be disappointed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom