Best Lobster in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had tons of both. You're probably getting lobster that's been out of the ocean much longer than it should have been. I can't imagine how anyone could not prefer the claw or "knuckle" meat over any other part of a lobster, anyway.

I have to agree with you too. Cold water lobster is hard to beat, not that the spiny lobster is bad though, it just pales in comparison.

I would gladly take lobster from anywhere on Cozumel right now, any of those places beats my office right now.

I've had tons of both. You're probably getting lobster that's been out of the ocean much longer than it should have been. I can't imagine how anyone could not prefer the claw or "knuckle" meat over any other part of a lobster, anyway.

Agreed - hard to beat cold water lobster from the NE - but the spiny Caribbean lobster are not bad when properly prepared and not tooooo big

I respectfully disagree. The spiny lobster is much tastier and has much better texture than the Maine lobster.

No comparison provided it is fresh right out of the ocean. You do not say where you are from. If you are comparing New England lobster frozen or out of the water a while purchased at a restaurant like Red Lobster in the midwest (or anwhere far away from New England)to fresh caught warm water lobster, you may have a valid point.

No comparison provided it is fresh right out of the ocean. You do not say where you are from. If you are comparing New England lobster frozen or out of the water a while purchased at a restaurant like Red Lobster in the midwest (or anwhere far away from New England)to fresh caught warm water lobster, you may have a valid point.

Red Lobster - blech!!!! :vomit: haha

Red Lobster - blech!!!! :vomit: haha
Ah, yes - Red Lobster, the McDonald's of seafood. The only worse place for seafood is Long John Silver's.

Hey, gordo, step away from the LJS. Its way better than Red Lobster.....
Well, IME they are both terrible, but you may be right. I have not been to either one of them enough to be an expert on which is the more terrible. :D

I haven't been to a Dead Lobster since I lived in the midwest.

After living on Galveston Island for a long time, my standards for what constitutes fresh seafood changed forever. I still can't eat shrimp that weren't caught this morning.

There's basically no chance that on Cozumel northern lobster would be as good as local spiny lobster unless it had been flown in that day. The same would be true of spiny lobster up here. Or snapper, or conch, or lots of other things. There's also the phenomenon that some things just taste better with a bit of sand between your toes.

It's 67F and drizzling here at the moment. I'd gladly suffer through a lobster lunch anywhere on the island. I'll even bring some New England ones for comparison to anyone who wants to fly me down with a cooler.

I hate to say it, but having grown up on Maine lobster, the spiny variety just doesn't do it for me. It's okay, but can't compare to the 'real' ones!

The real ones live in the Caribbean Sea. I've had the " Yankee Mud Bugs " when I was in Baston and it was fresh. Meat from the claws was good but not plentiful. Meat from the tail was O.K. but chewy when you got to the middle/spine portion of it. It just isn't as tasty to me as the Caribbean variety. No need to get your wetsuit in a wad, just my 2 pesos worth on the topic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom