Best Lobster in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmmmm you guys need to stop mentioning Prima. We went 3 times in 10 days, and I would gladly go back there tonight if we were still in Coz! While it isn't lobster, I highly recommend the Pollo Cozumel from Prima. The Aged NY Steak was really good as well. MMMMMmmmmmm

Albertos is just south of KM 17 south of Occidental Grand. Its definately a place for those who stay on the south side and would like to skip the drive to town. The food is very well done. Lobster, Conch, Grouper.....its all very good and priced right. Great place to watch a sunset and have dinner.

I've heard from locals that they buy stuff from local fishermen who catch inside the marine park at night. Just sayin'.

That might be true for spiny lobster. I wouldn't know.

It's definitely NOT true for real lobster (you know, the ones with delicious claws). As those get bigger they just get tastier and not tougher. The meat-to-gunk ratio improves with increasing size as well. A 3-pound lobster has considerably more meat than 3 1-pounders. Of course, this presumes that you pick the arms and body and don't just eat the tail. Since the tail is the least delicious meat on a lobster, that shouldn't be a problem.

Around here, lobster often costs about the same per pound as hot dogs (though admittedly it has waste and hot dogs don't) so we tend to eat a fair amount. Larger ones usually cost more per pound for good reason. When they're priced equally we always go for bigger ones.
I hate to say it, but having grown up on Maine lobster, the spiny variety just doesn't do it for me. It's okay, but can't compare to the 'real' ones!

I think when we were down in 08, Alberto's was closed, supposedly for some sort of violations of health codes or something. Been a little scared to go there......

Now if you could get a Maine Lobster in Coz......

I think when we were down in 08, Alberto's was closed, supposedly for some sort of violations of health codes or something. Been a little scared to go there......

Now if you could get a Maine Lobster in Coz......

Hey! If the Lionfish can move in, maybe we could transplant a few Maine lobster to start reproducing!
(Just kidding!!!! I'm really not big on illegal crustacean immigration! ;-) )

My husband and I had lobster licenses in Massachusetts and Connecticut. They are mean buggers! There is nothing like fresh northern lobster!! The Carribean lobster will do in a pinch if it is well prepared. I have to agree that Prima has the best on the island. I hope they are not buying lobsters poached in the marine park!

I respectfully disagree. The spiny lobster is much tastier and has much better texture than the Maine lobster.

I respectfully disagree. The spiny lobster is much tastier and has much better texture than the Maine lobster.

I've had tons of both. You're probably getting lobster that's been out of the ocean much longer than it should have been. I can't imagine how anyone could not prefer the claw or "knuckle" meat over any other part of a lobster, anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom