Best Lobster in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The real ones live in the Caribbean Sea. I've had the " Yankee Mud Bugs " when I was in Baston and it was fresh. Meat from the claws was good but not plentiful. Meat from the tail was O.K. but chewy when you got to the middle/spine portion of it. It just isn't as tasty to me as the Caribbean variety. No need to get your wetsuit in a wad, just my 2 pesos worth on the topic.

"Yankee Mud Bugs" might be tough but New England lobsters are sweet and tender!!!
I have never heard that expression.

"Yankee Mud Bugs" might be tough but New England lobsters are sweet and tender!!!
I have never heard that expression.

Mud Bugs are what people from the south, mostly Louisiana, call crawfish and there is an elaborate ritual to the cooking and eating of crawfish that I wont go into here. They have claws and look like a miniature cold water lobster from the North East. I've always thought that the Caribbean Langoste looks more like a shrimp than an American Lobster and therein lies the difference in taste.I do like the lobster in Cozumel but if I had to pick my favorite meal it would be the fried shrimp at Chen Rio.

Mawg, maybe you need to go further north to Maine and get them next to the water from a steaming pot? How good could they be in the *city*....?
Of course I would eat either right now..... with butter.....

Mawg, maybe you need to go further north to Maine and get them next to the water from a steaming pot? How good could they be in the *city*....?

I've had them fresh in Maine, picked right off the boat in Cape Anne Mass., and right out of the traps in NY .... they were so darn good you almost didn't need the butter & lemon! :biggrin:

I've had them fresh in Maine, picked right off the boat in Cape Anne Mass., and right out of the traps in NY .... they were so darn good you almost didn't need the butter & lemon! :biggrin:

Did you dive in Cape Ann? Very cool spot to dive but very cold. We dove there almost every weekend when we lived in Connecticut. We did a fair amount of lobstering while diving.

Did you dive in Cape Ann? Very cool spot to dive but very cold. We dove there almost every weekend when we lived in Connecticut. We did a fair amount of lobstering while diving.

Many years before my diving days .... I was born in CT and grew up in NY, mom was from Maine, so lobster is in the blood! :)

Loved Cape Ann, but your right - the water there is COLD!!!! :shocked2:

Well, thanks to you people I had to go out last night for $9.95 lobster dinners with my wife.

They were very good. Now I need to do back-to-back tastings with spiny lobster on Cozumel but can't figure out a way to get there by today.

Last edited:

It was the summer of 1985 and I was in Boston on business for a week. Boston is beautiful in the summer. I was staying at the Logan Airport Hilton and had dinner in the main restaurant of the hotel, dont remember if it had a particular name. On the menu it said " Fresh Lobster Daily " and that is what I ordered. Dont get me wrong, it was good. I just prefer the taste of the Caribbean variety.

It was the summer of 1985 and I was in Boston on business for a week. Boston is beautiful in the summer. I was staying at the Logan Airport Hilton and had dinner in the main restaurant of the hotel, dont remember if it had a particular name. On the menu it said " Fresh Lobster Daily " and that is what I ordered. Dont get me wrong, it was good. I just prefer the taste of the Caribbean variety.
Next time you are there, get out from Boston and drive up the coast. Pick out a hole in the wall seafood restaurant and get the lobster. I did that a few years ago; I won't say that it was categorically better in all ways than the Caribbean variety, but it was damn good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom