Best meal by Restaurant in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At the airport Grab & Go, I definitely recommend the pastrami sandwich over the "burger". Not too bad with the red wine they sell.

Caribbean King Crab at La Terazza (old Prima spot). Been around the block several times since 1992 and that is the one best in all of Cozumel.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

REALLY looking forward to eating there again. We are taking a new crew to the island this time and I look forward to introducing them to La Terraza. Prima's just isn't the same..... Also, I love the cilantro soup and grilled fish at Pancho's; but only after the ships have left. :)

Actually, the ingredients are all rather straight up. Definitely not hot dog meal if you know what I mean. The process...well that is another story. We did it the hard way, outside, in the cold freezing weather. From the very start to the very end. Over Cast iron kettles and with all manual labor. At least we had fresh cracklings to enjoy at some point. Plus, in addition to the 3 ish days of this journey, we had to get the milking done twice a day no matter what. We miss the meats..no doubt, and actually reminisce about the work at times, but the exhaustion I will say I do not miss at all.

As far as what to put on scrapple, syrup is good and apple butter is the choice for some. I like my scrapple with ketchup. I know that is sacrilegious, but, that is the only way I REALLY like it. So being from Pennsylvania cvcheif, have you ever had salt mackerel and fried potatoes for breakfast ???

Also, to add to the restaurant list:

Prima- Crab macaroni and cheese. I would recommend one entree for 4 people as a side dish as it is very rich.
La Choza - Guacamole..
Shrimp Fajita - Shrimp and caramelized onion and grilled sweet pepper - fresh tortilla's - then, add their Guac....oh yes, this is good....

SueSue, WHOA on the discussing what is in scrapple. Fried a little hard and with some syrup is tasty as long as we DON'T discuss the making and ingredients.... *shudder*

La Choza's Limon Soup is supposed to cure about anything to include hangovers or at least so I have been told.

Shrimp Quesadillas at Ernesto's, and a few Margs.... Awesome, and a great view.

Attachments

• DSCF0067.jpg
    DSCF0067.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCF0064.jpg
    DSCF0064.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 122
I always liked whiling away the afternoon at Ernesto's - a lunch of Shrimp or Beef Fajitas, or a Quesadilla, a few cervesas, and watching the boats go by. Almost as good as swinging in a hammock, drinking beer and listening to the surf (and the reggae music) at the Bob Marley Bar, down at the far south end, just outside the entrance to the Punta Sur park.

I like this slant on this overplayed out topic, nicely done.

Del Sur - Grilled Fish is awesome and shrimp empanada.
Casa del Mojito - Cuban Sandwich is fantastic.
Camaron Dorado (SP) - Shrimp Torta to go and take to the east side.
Los Otates - Pozzole
Museum - Breakfast with a view
Kinta - One of their catch of the day dishes they are great.
Wet Wendys - Chipotle Chicken burrito with Mango Habenero sauce to take onto the plane for the ride home
Churros from vendor on the Northeast side of the square at night
El Moro - Anything with their Mole sauce
Rotisserie Chicken from the place on 30 near Covi
Rasta Bar - Ceviche
Playa Palancar - Seafood soup during surface intervals
Mozaicoz - Pastor Pizza and Sunday nights to have a front row seat for the festivities

One more: Garlic fish at Ohana Cafe. I don't think this place gets enough press, and more folks should give it a try.

Now, I've had fish grilled in the traditional mojo de ajo style all over the island....mojo de ajo is a wonderful thing!

Last year we went to try our friend Mateo's (from Blue Angel) wife's new restaurant, Ohana (the Hawaiian word for family), and it is truly a family business, run by a restaurant family. Angie's Father owns the Freedom Bar down at Punta Sur & she's been in the restaurant business her entire life.

I can't put my finger on it, but it was by far the best garlic fish I've ever had.

Ever so crispy on the outside, rich, white and fluffy on the inside, with just the right amount of seasoning to bring it all together...it was awsome!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far. This is exactly what I hoped this thread would generate. Specific meals at specific restaurants. Hope everyone gets some ideas about new dishes to try! Keep'em coming!

Back
Top Bottom