best NYC dive shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suitcases

New
Reaction score
The time has come for me to invest in some more equipment of my own and I am planning to go shopping in the next couple of weeks. I only need some basic things, nothing fancy or exotic! I've come across Pan Aqua and Leisure Pro via Yelp...does anyone have recommendations between those two, or of other shops they prefer? I am looking for one within the city -- no plans to trek out to Jersey or up to Yonkers.

What are you looking for? LP has a vast amount of stuff you actually look at and try on; maybe the most in the world. If you're looking for Halcyon, not so much.

The time has come for me to invest in some more equipment of my own and I am planning to go shopping in the next couple of weeks. I only need some basic things, nothing fancy or exotic! I've come across Pan Aqua and Leisure Pro via Yelp...does anyone have recommendations between those two, or of other shops they prefer? I am looking for one within the city -- no plans to trek out to Jersey or up to Yonkers.
yonkers is not difficult to get to..advantage to purchase at Scuba NY Yonkers is that we are the only LDS in the area tah has its own indoor heated pool. Customers who purchase their gear here such as bcd/regulator can use our pool pretty much any time they wish AT NO CHARGE. Even people who just get gear serviced here can use the pool to test their gear after servicing to be sure of proper function. Prices are competitive with online retailers as store manager will price match any authorized online offer.

Great, thank you both! I will definitely keep the Yonkers rec in mind in the future (I'm not looking to buy a BCD or reg at this point), but Leisure Pro sounds great for now.

If you need any help, let me know. I'm not physically in the store, so you can't ask for me unfortunately, but I'm an instructor/cave diver/tech diver, so am pretty familiar with a decent variety of gear.

I don't know where you are, but when I'm in Brooklyn and just gotta buy a trinket, I go see Mia at Kings County Divers.

The OP indicated they didn't want to leave town.:D

---------- Post added January 7th, 2014 at 04:34 PM ----------

Great, thank you both! I will definitely keep the Yonkers rec in mind in the future (I'm not looking to buy a BCD or reg at this point), but Leisure Pro sounds great for now.

Go to their on-line catalog, find the stuff you want, write down the SKU numbers, go to the store and hand them the list. They'll have it sent up from the other floors. If you don't like it, they'll send it back. They also have computers in the store for shoppers. I don't think there's possibly a better place in the world for scuba nic-nack shopping.

Last edited:
Is Leisure Pro the way to go? I'm heading to Mexico in a few days and I have no idea where my mask is so I'm thinking I should buy one in Manhattan before leaving. Just looking for a place with the best selection.

If selection is what you seek, I'd wager we've got you covered :) At least looking at our site (Masks at LeisurePro), we have well over 200 masks in stock. I've personally been diving this one (Hollis M1 Frameless Mask at LeisurePro) for about six months and have been very happy with it, plus it fits the face of everyone who has borrowed it.

Is Leisure Pro the way to go? I'm heading to Mexico in a few days and I have no idea where my mask is so I'm thinking I should buy one in Manhattan before leaving. Just looking for a place with the best selection.

I have done business with them before, they will have whatever you need at a good price.

Back
Top Bottom