Best option for underwater video hands-free

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your video is very smooth. I would have expected more shake with handheld or mask mount. My handheld sports camera videos rarely as steady and smooth. Are you using in-camera stablisation or applying that in post-production?

This is all from in-camera stabilization...nothing has been done in post-production with respect to smoothing or white-balance....I don't have that kind of time in my life! Here is another example that is all mask-mount footage, this time from Palau...it's raw footage and not ready for prime time.

That's pretty good. Just a little shake as your bubbles passes it.
Thanks for sharing.

Yup...I need to modify my behavior when filming via the mask mount and tilt my head slightly down on the camera side or try and maneuver into a down-current situation where possible.

I use the Peak Design Capture mounted to my shoulder strap. Then attach the Gooseneck to hold my GoPro. I adjust it so it's a bit forward from me, no bubble interference, and I can see the view screen. Make adjustment after you trim out so it's not always facing downward.

Hello :)

MaadJurguer, what is your GoPro ? (4,5,6,7,8 ....). Nice pictures !

I'm using a simple head strap like this one. It work quite well, but I'm only using it doing snorkeling ... I should try mask mounting ...

Hello :)

MaadJurguer, what is your GoPro ? (4,5,6,7,8 ....). Nice pictures !

I'm using a simple head strap like this one. It work quite well, but I'm only using it doing snorkeling ... I should try mask mounting ...
It's not a GoPro, it's a Paralenz.

Get your buddy to shoot the video.

Boom.

I use the Peak Design Capture mounted to my shoulder strap. Then attach the Gooseneck to hold my GoPro. I adjust it so it's a bit forward from me, no bubble interference, and I can see the view screen. Make adjustment after you trim out so it's not always facing downward.

Could you share what gooseneck you are using with the gopro and the peak design capture clip? I dont think the gooseneck gopro sells will work with the capture clip, but could be wrong

I've done it two different ways. I'm currently using the GoPro instrument clip mount with a tripod base to clip the GoPro Gooseneck. You have to tighten the screw on the PeakDesign capture clip very tight or the base will swivel a little when you hit water. Use a little Loctite (blue - medium strength, purple - light strength). You can add or remove the gooseneck sections if it's too short or long. When I get back in the water, I'll try mounting a light on my shoulder but I think I'll end up blinding my dive buddy!

I've also used the Ram Mount (ball and joints). This one method is more stable but you have to fiddle with getting the position right. The parts are little more expensive.

GoPro
gopro-tripod-adapter-new-atbshop.jpg

Ram
RAM-Mounts-RAM-B-337U-RAM-MOUNT-14-20-FEMALE-THREADED-HEX-HOLE-W-1-BALL_330x280.jpg

Huh. Hoe is the capture holding up underwater? I’d guess the springs it has (at least my v1 and V2 have) for the thumbwheels and release catch) are spring steel, and will likely rust away merrily. Never would have thought to use it immersed, though it is a favorite on land. If it holds up well it would be a very handy way to stow my RX100 rig without dangling...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom