Best Place for Weights with BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use XS Scuba weight pouches on my BP/W....

Two on my waist belt and two on the top cam band......

I push the waist pockets all the way back so they touch the BP and use rigid D-rings to keep them there......this leaves me plenty of room for shears, can light and extra velcro pocket for a spare computer on my waist......

I use a plastic buckle to hold the shears and can light tight up against the pouch/D-ring on the right side......

My SS buckle holds the pouch on the left side that way nothing falls off when I get out of the rig.......

My darling bride laughs and says it looks like the bat belt.......:)

Hope this helps......M

Yes, that's pretty much what I'm doing now, except I have all the weight in the waist pockets. This works but it takes up a lot of the waist belt and I would like to put the weight somewhere else if possible - maybe low down on the shoulder straps?

Who is "Jim Lapenta" and why is he using Jim Lap's avatar?

But, on a more serious note, it sounds like you are trying to make your bp/w into a weight integrated bcd. That is contrary to what I understand to be the whole concept.

...I know the OP is trying to work with his existing BP/wing.....I guess my point is that mindlessly following the 'pure' BP/wing mantra isn't necessarily the cure all...I do what all I wanted my rig to do, I couldn't figure out how to achieve it with a 'pure' BP/wing...so I made/make my own custom/hybrid systems, and have actually figured out some pretty clever solutions to at least try to balance the strengths of all the options/configurations to achieve my optimum result. YMMV :)

It's my real name.Seems kind of stupid to use an anonymous handle when there is a link to my website with name, email, phone number, and address in all of my posts!

I use Zeagle integrated weight pockets (from a Zeagle BC) on my Hollis HTS. Not sure of the model BC or actual capacity, but I can get about 6-7 lbs. in each one. They mount by folding velcro flaps "sandwiching" around 2" webbing. Great thing is that there are two mounting points per pocket and they are 90 degrees apart. So I have the horizontal "sandwich" straps of the pockets around my harness waist strap and the verticle "sandwich" straps of the pockets on the lower portion of the shoulder strap webbing. Pockets rest between lower shoulder straps and BP. Pockets are zippered and trap-door type with a T-handle for quick release. Regardless of make, most harness systems are configured the same. But, if they had the Hollis logo on them....one would think they were factory!!

I use the two pockets on the top cam band for half my lead......

When I dive warm water with a 3 mil, AL BP and AL80 tank...I put two pound weights in each pouch....

For my dry suit - with SS BP and LP95 tanks - I use a three pound weight in each pouch.....

I can ditch the waist mounted weights myself, and my dive buddy can help me ditch my cam band weight if needed......

I needed to move the weight to the cam band to help me trim out......but I also use very negative SP Jets fins so I think they contribute to making me feet heavy, hence I require offsetting weight high up on my tank.........

I guess what am trying to say is that by shifting mass around (heavy or light fins, ankle weights, cam band pouches, sliding tank up or down, moving the whole BP/W up or down by adjusting the harness) you should be able to get the weight off your waist and still trim out properly ......I think that would solve your issue......
M

Not sure what you mean by your comment.....

"bp/w into a weight integrated bcd. That is contrary to what I understand to be the whole concept"

It is still a BP/W, I just don't use an extra weight belt........

The XS Scuba pouches are just cheap effective versions of the expensive belt pockets you can buy from Halycon and Dive Rite........

I just like to simplicity and "total lack of shifting weight" that my rig offers.......

Plus I don't have the deal with the whole wear the weight belt over or under the crotch strap issue.....

M

I use Zeagle integrated weight pockets (from a Zeagle BC) on my Hollis HTS. Not sure of the model BC or actual capacity, but I can get about 6-7 lbs. in each one. They mount by folding velcro flaps "sandwiching" around 2" webbing. Great thing is that there are two mounting points per pocket and they are 90 degrees apart. So I have the horizontal "sandwich" straps of the pockets around my harness waist strap and the verticle "sandwich" straps of the pockets on the lower portion of the shoulder strap webbing. Pockets rest between lower shoulder straps and BP. Pockets are zippered and trap-door type with a T-handle for quick release. Regardless of make, most harness systems are configured the same. But, if they had the Hollis logo on them....one would think they were factory!!

Hey - I think you have the solution, or close to it, anyway. Ideally the weight would be completely off my waist belt so I can put other stuff there. I will start looking for these Zeagle weight pockets.

Hey Mike,
Any trouble, just get in touch with EZ Scuba in Tampa. They hooked me up with them. I found these before I found the Hollis pockets meant for the HTS harness. Those would probably work for you too.

Yes, that's pretty much what I'm doing now, except I have all the weight in the waist pockets. This works but it takes up a lot of the waist belt and I would like to put the weight somewhere else if possible - maybe low down on the shoulder straps?

I had a similar problem and came up with this solution:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4728568-post13.html

(I am referring to the pockest between plate and wing)

works great for me for several years now.
Besides freeing the waist and eliminating a weight belt, it gives me very good balance due to the position of the weights.

I had a similar problem and came up with this solution:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4728568-post13.html

(I am referring to the pockest between plate and wing)

works great for me for several years now.
Besides freeing the waist and eliminating a weight belt, it gives me very good balance due to the position of the weights.

DeepSeaFalcon - This might be just the solution I'm looking for. Looks like you ran two pieces of 2" webbing vertically along the outside edges of the backplate, between the plate and the wing, and installed two velcro-flapped weight pockets on each strap.

I have two questions: How did you fasten the webbing to the plate? How do you keep the pockets from sliding up and down?

If I took the weights off my belt and put them on the plate, my weights would not then be self-ditchable, and most rescuers would have trouble finding them, too. I need to educate myself on the issues with weight ditchability, pro and con.

Thanks again,
Mike

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom