Best Places for Referral Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my OW checkouts in the local quarry because it was cheaper ($110 vs. $350+ in the Keys); and I also didn't want to "waste my vacation" doing checkout dives. When I got around to doing my first ocean dives it was in rough seas (right after Ivan, before Jeanne). Quarry checkout dives in no way prepared me for that experience. OTOH, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and I'm a better diver for it. :)

MaraGirl:
Do you mean that an open water referral (4 dives) is only $80 US stateside ? A regular open water two-tank dive is between $80 -$100+ here on the island (Antigua) depending on who you dive with and whether or not you have equipment. As you know, there are 4 open water dives to complete your certification but with the exception of dive number 1, there are considered training dives and all dive shops price these above regular open water dives. Paying $200 for your 4 dives is the norm. And yes, even though diving is included in the Sandals package, it only applies to regular excursion dives, that is quite typical of most resorts.

I doubt that the 4 checkout dives are that cheap everywhere, but thats what I was quoted. I called my LDS from Atigua to double check the cost, and made sure that it was for all 4 dives. We still decided to pay more to do it on the island. I don't regret spending the extra money one bit. I don't know why it would be less expensive here in Southern Indiana. If I get to go to the quarry with the LDS this weekend I'll ask. I agree with what ppl are posting about getting certified BEFORE you go to a carribbean paradise, but my wife wanted to do them in warm water. She didn't want the stress of low vis and thermoclines added onto doing the skills. As much as I love to argue with my wife :07: I let her have her way this time.

Did my class/pool instruction locally and...whether to take the plunge into the frigid midwestern waters or go the referral route to warm, turqoise waters...I took the plunge into the local quarry where the average visibility was 20 feet...0 viz at times...and bottom temp of 48 degrees...Cozumel bound in 3 days and simply wanted to dive and refine skills rather than perform skill assessments...just my 2 cents

Grand Cayman Island. Large number of dive shops and sites. Clear warm water. Minimal currents. Dive boats pick you up from the beach in front of your hotel and most dive sites for beginners are within minutes of the pickup and in calm seas so there is little chance for sea sickness. Direct flights from many east coast cities. English language island. Safe with little crime. Can drink the water and eat the food without fear of illness. Good resturants and hotels (at least pre-ivan).

Back
Top Bottom