Best practices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watch the first 4 minutes of this video, they show most of what I described:

How is that a best practice? I'm confused because I wouldn't want to do that.

The OP included "service" and "routine" for best practices. This was a part of the dive ops "routine service." I liked not being locked into any preconceived notion of diving a certain amount of dives, and that I could book a day in advance, and as long as there was availability, I would get the multiple-day discounted rate each day I added. Cut out an extra stop at a dive shop (using the term loosely as in this particular case the shop was really just a storefront for scheduling all types of tours.) Actually could have gone to boat every morning, 5 minute walk for me, and gone out without booking in advance, as long as there was availability, at the discounted rate. The other thing I liked about the payment method was that I could check my credit card transactions online after each dive, if I chose, and see that I was charged correctly (didn't want to get ripped off in another country - EC vs US $$$) and not wait until the end of my trip.

Best practices are methods that may work for some and not others. I imagine as more posts are included in the thread there will be some best practices that hit home with some and not others as chillyinCanada didn't like this one obviously. I personally liked this method of payment as it was convenient for me. If given the same set of circumstances of being as close to the dive boat as I was, dive op owners that were easy to communicate with, clean boat with limited divers, easy to pay as you dive, and me getting my multi-day discount, I wouldn't hesitate.

OK, I hear that but there's a few places I dive where I can do that without having to pay everyday. That said, it can leave me vulnerable to "no room on the boat" during busy periods. Check it out yourself on your next trip. Pre-negotiate. Of course, as you say, my way also leaves me vulnerable to not making the minimum for some reason whereas you're getting the discount daily regardless. And THAT said, I might not be comfortable with an operation such as you describe, though clean boat suggests good things.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I would love to have one of those, or Nautilus lifeline. However, I don't think our center can afford it at the moment. =(
How about smb and whistle?
Smb and whistle should be an integral part of the rental BC.

How about smb and whistle?
Smb and whistle should be an integral part of the rental BC.
I thought about that, too. I think mares bcs come with whistles, mine does, I don't know other brands. And we definitely need to invest in some smbs as well. Thanks.

The OP included "service" and "routine" for best practices. This was a part of the dive ops "routine service." I liked not being locked into any preconceived notion of diving a certain amount of dives, and that I could book a day in advance, and as long as there was availability, I would get the multiple-day discounted rate each day I added. Cut out an extra stop at a dive shop (using the term loosely as in this particular case the shop was really just a storefront for scheduling all types of tours.) Actually could have gone to boat every morning, 5 minute walk for me, and gone out without booking in advance, as long as there was availability, at the discounted rate. The other thing I liked about the payment method was that I could check my credit card transactions online after each dive, if I chose, and see that I was charged correctly (didn't want to get ripped off in another country - EC vs US $$$) and not wait until the end of my trip.

Best practices are methods that may work for some and not others. I imagine as more posts are included in the thread there will be some best practices that hit home with some and not others as chillyinCanada didn't like this one obviously. I personally liked this method of payment as it was convenient for me. If given the same set of circumstances of being as close to the dive boat as I was, dive op owners that were easy to communicate with, clean boat with limited divers, easy to pay as you dive, and me getting my multi-day discount, I wouldn't hesitate.
Hi jonhall, thanks for the input. I can understand the convenience having a cc machine on the boat. In case if you want to add a third or fourth dive to your existing package, you can always pay on the spot.

I'm not sure if you're planning on having a boat as part of the shop, but one thing I've found helpful is to have a spare pieces of gear onboard. I fill in at a local shop as a captain part time and I've lost count of the times I've lent out my personal reels, masks or bottom timer out. The shop usually keeps a full set of gear onboard when people are renting gear but I've found that having extra pieces of equipment can easily make a dive more enjoyable for a diver.

I'm not sure if you're planning on having a boat as part of the shop, but one thing I've found helpful is to have a spare pieces of gear onboard. I fill in at a local shop as a captain part time and I've lost count of the times I've lent out my personal reels, masks or bottom timer out. The shop usually keeps a full set of gear onboard when people are renting gear but I've found that having extra pieces of equipment can easily make a dive more enjoyable for a diver.
Hi Lewisevans, thanks for the reply. Yes of course. It's called save-a-dive bag. usually we have two for different sizes. It is definitely a must have. We also plan to have spare o-rings (for cameras), mouthpieces, etc.

Offer me big tanks! I'm well into my 40's, about 6'1" and close to 270#, and not particularly in shape. If all you've got are AL 80's, me, a skinny athletic 20 year old guy and a 5'2" lean and petite woman may sit in a row on your boat, each with the same size tank.

That's nuts.

What I don't see but would like to are dive briefing write ups we can review in advance. Some people learn better by reading and re-reading than one shot listening on a noisy boat. We'd still need the oral report, but the option for added advance study would be nice.

I agree with this. On both comments! My husband is a body builder and has a large muscle mass, so when there are 100s he can use he's thrilled. Also, written briefing would be great, during many of the dives I've done the briefing on board happened while half the divers are still busy getting gear together. It makes focus and questions difficult at times. Having a briefing on paper or while everyone can focus makes more sense.

Back
Top Bottom