Best reefs for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claymore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Which reefs would be the best for a new diver?
I am going to be in Cozumel next week and am wondering which reefs would be the
best for a new inexperienced diver?

Thanks for any information.

Paradise, Chankanaab, Tormentos, and Colombia Shallows come to mind, but make sure your op knows that you are a newbie and take their recommendation.

How new???

All of the reefs are fine, although you may want to take a "pass" on two: Loco Corente and Devil's Throat. Loco Corente is a site meaning "crazy currents" ... we literally had two groups splash in within minutes of each other and be carried in diametrically opposite directions due to a change in current (or, more likely, the boat drifted slightly over the reef). This isn't a big problem, but it can be unnerving to new divers if they get separated from their dive buddy.

Everyone makes a big deal about diving "Devil's Throat," but I think it is a BAD idea for a new diver. You drift downcurrent to enter a hole at 90+ feet, then swim down through a winding tunnel, exiting at about 125'. This is a lot of depth, in an enclosed environment where you cannot always see daylight. If you follow other inexperienced divers, who silt out the passage before you, it can be especially challenging....and an increased breathing rate is not a good thing at that kind of depth with only an AL80 on your back. Once you get more experience and find an experienced group to dive with, Devils Throat is a fun dive. Until then ... I'd take a pass.

Unless you choose to dive with one of the smaller ops you won't likely have much say in the dive site choices and most reputable ops will only take you to sites that aren't too deep IF you let them know you are a rookie. Don't be pressured into thinking you need to do deep dives just because they like to take divers deep, it just eats up bottom time and allows them to get the boat back to the dock sooner for another group of divers. There are so many good dives that are 60-80 feet for first dives that IF the op chooses a deeper profile stay above the group & within your comfort level & skill set.

We did Cozumel as our first dive trip after certifying, which means our first dive there was about#5 in our logs. We went to Palancar Bricks and dived to about 75-80 ft with a slight current. Second dive, Paseo Cedral, about 45 ft with moderate current. We loved it ... we were hooked. As you've already heard from others, let your DM know your skill level, then go enjoy. You'll have a great time.

We did all of our diving in Cozumel immediately after certification. Our first dives included Palancar Gardens, Yucab, Columbia, Tormentos, Santa Rosa, Paradise. While most of the wall dives can be done without too much problems, the biggest issue we had on the 75-80 ft dives was managing our air consumption - our bottom time was 30 minutes or less.

On most of the walls, there are ways to dive shallower depths 45-60 feet while still enjoying the dive experience. Some great sites you can do would be Palancar (Gardens, Horseshoe, Shallows), San Francisco, La Francesa, Dalila, Tormentos, Punta Tunich, Las Palmas, Paradise.

How new???

All of the reefs are fine, although you may want to take a "pass" on two: Loco Corente and Devil's Throat. Loco Corente is a site meaning "crazy currents" ... we literally had two groups splash in within minutes of each other and be carried in diametrically opposite directions due to a change in current (or, more likely, the boat drifted slightly over the reef).

I am not familiar with Loco Corente, where is it located?

We did all of our diving in Cozumel immediately after certification. Our first dives included Palancar Gardens, Yucab, Columbia, Tormentos, Santa Rosa, Paradise.

How nice!! Man, I drudged around in rock quarries and shallow inland Michigan lakes when I started. I was lucky to have 10' vis for my first 10 dives. I remember this skeletal 8' row boat in Lake Fenton as the highlight of my first official dive. No splendid toad fish looking out of holes on that dive. I like your style!:wink:

As previously mentioned you can hover above the group and afternoon dives are usually shallower

I wouldn't worry too much about WHICH reefs are the best for novice divers. With only a few exceptions, all of the reefs here are suitable for all levels....the profiles are what you should be more concerned with.

You may consider paying for a private DM for your first dive day. This will help you relax more, and yo'll have a local dive professional as your dedicated dive buddy to help you fine tune your weighting, and any first day issues you may have. You won't feel pressured to dive as deep as the rest of the group and you can dive the profile that you're comfortable with while getting used to the diving here. Then, you can decide if you are comfortable enough to dive on your own with the group, or if you want to continue with a private DM. It's money well spent.

Most 1st dives of the day are going to be in the 80 foot range (but will be a multi-level profile, averaging 60 feet), and the second dive will be in the 40 to 60 foot range typically.

Just DON't let them take you to Punta Sur, Maracaibo, or Barracuda...private DM or not :)

Have fun!

afternoon dives are usually shallower
My suggestion is also to make at least your first boat trip an afternoon one. Since the DMs and many of the divers have already done 2 dives that day, the afternoon trips are usually the shallower reefs like Paradise.

You might also consider hiring a personal DM or instructor for your first day. IIRC the charges for a personal DM or an instructor to do a "refresher course" were very reasonable.

Be open and forthright about your experience level and concerns.

Unlike some other posters, I do NOT recommend that you hover above the group, particularly if they will be going through swimthroughs. You may have a problem figuing out where the rest of the group is going to exit and you end up solo. For the first couple of days, you may just want to skip the dives with swimthroughs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom