Best Scuba mounts for GoPro - Monopod vs. Headstrap vs. Mask mount vs. other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used the extended pole and found the footage far too shaky, even when only using half the pole and holding it tight into my body. I spoke to someone about this and they said the pole amplifies any wrist movements. So what is small jerks of the wrist (oo-er), it's moving quite a lot at the camera end of the pole.

Switched to an Ikelite tray and seems to be much better. Expensive, but I plan to get some lights shortly and I'm not that great in the tool room. There are some fantastic homemade alternatives on here though if you are.

I can't imagine anyone getting good results from a mounting a GP on a mask.

How bad is it really? Can you post some typical footage? I don't want a tray and lights at this point and want to understand what to expect.

Thanks
P

How bad is it really? Can you post some typical footage?

Sure, give me a day or two and I'll post up some raw footage. I'm just using a tray at he moment, no lights and found it better. At the same time I'm now shooting on Narrow setting which is still picking up a bit of shaking.

I used the extended pole and found the footage far too shaky, even when only using half the pole and holding it tight into my body. I spoke to someone about this and they said the pole amplifies any wrist movements. So what is small jerks of the wrist (oo-er), it's moving quite a lot at the camera end of the pole.

Switched to an Ikelite tray and seems to be much better. Expensive, but I plan to get some lights shortly and I'm not that great in the tool room. There are some fantastic homemade alternatives on here though if you are.

I can't imagine anyone getting good results from a mounting a GP on a mask.

you can try using 2 hands to hold the pole if possible. but u already gotten a tray :)

This guy doesn't seem to have too much of a problem with video shake. In many of his videos he is seen balancing the pole with just thumb and forefinger.

Freediving Yonaguni Pyramid - Aliens or Lost Civilization: http://youtu.be/_ep9P6uX9BM

Seaplane Wreck - Freediving Palau (Jake Seaplane): http://youtu.be/8TISr6i5KNkI

Granted there are more moments with shake, than no shake, but with scuba we have the luxury of not finning and perhaps time to steady ourselves. I think the trick is to not attempt too lengthy video clips but stitch many edited clips of 7 sec duration together. If you manage to keep it steady for up to 7 secs @60fps you might even get 14secs worth of slow motion video played at 30fps.

Hopefully I will make my first attempt at videography later in the year.

P

Sent from MiPad

So does a gopole reach require fiddling when rotating the gopro 180°?

Anyone figured a lighting attachment for a stick mount?
P

Sent from MiPad

The answer is yes. The Z Gear light mount for your camera pole works great! It is a light mount that is fully adjustable and is off set from the camera about 4 1/2 inches. Take a look and tell us what you think.

http://www.zgear.org/Dive-Lights.html

That looks useful. Now how to secure a pole and its extra attachments securely when deploying an SMB?
Any tips fron experienced members will be appreciated.

Sent from MiPad

You know what I purchased a few months a go was a mount that goes on your BC from a company called Z Gear. I was using the head strap and then moved to the octomask. Neither of which I liked. Bubbles always get in the shot, the octomask is heavy and makes water get in and the head strap moves around. I have made some pretty good videos using both but the BCD mount has given me some super good footage when paired with the camera I carry in my hands.

---------- Post added October 17th, 2014 at 02:48 PM ----------

I get a lot of real good footage with my mono pole. I use the light mount that Z Gear makes for the pole. Works perfect!

I use the Frameless Octomask and a hand mount when I dive and they both work great. Here's a video I shot a few weeks ago just using the Octomask.

Diving Athens Scuba Park - YouTube

It looks like you had a lot of the same problems that I had with the Octomask. There is a lot of head movement and bubbles that get in the way, I'm sure there was a lot of Un-useful footage from it, I used to have to edit a bunch of footage out of the videos when I used the mask mount. This is a video I took with the BCD mount, I even unhooked it and took some video of myself so it's a plus if you need to do that. The only shake you get in the video is when you kick too hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEh0Pd5fL54

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom