Best signaling devices from the searcher’s point of view - update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Dan_T ’s even got colour-coded hoses!

:thumb:

I picked a red LP hose for my air gun to blow up DSMB without using my mouth nor octopus. No need to remove the 2nd stage out of my mouth.

I figure rapid deployment of DSMB underwater is a must when you get blown away by a fast current. The sooner the DSMB pops up on the surface, the easier for the boat to locate where I’m underwater.

A7BB4295-37F5-405D-9540-6C497F110211.jpeg

Last edited:
I like to see such testimonial video from one of those divers lost at Indonesian sea. Uhm, may be not in my lifetime:D

Sorry buddy :p I suspect you may be right.

Pardon the silly question, but what's the difference between a PLB and MRG. I think I've seen some posts of those that carry both, but I thought they did the same thing.

Pardon the silly question, but what's the difference between a PLB and MRG. I think I've seen some posts of those that carry both, but I thought they did the same thing.

Here’s a brief answer but I’m sure others will be along shortly for a much more in-depth discussion.

Watch this video for PLB.

A Nautilus Lifeline Radio or Marine Rescue GPS (MRG) is not a PLB, and has distance limitations. However, it does not require a dive canister like a PLB. Some would argue (me for example) that despite the Nautilus not being a PLB, it has its place as part of a diver’s safety kit (i.e., in addition to a PLB).

According to their website, the Nautilus MRG transmits:

Your GPS position accurate to 1.5 metres and a man overboard distress message will be broadcast to all AIS equipped ships up to 34 miles away as well as a special DSC message to the marine radio on your own vessel.

Last edited:
Dogbowl is correct. A PLB sends your location to a satellite, which then becomes part of a Search and Rescue operation, if one is available for your location. The Nautilus MRG sends your location to a ship-board radio, which can then find you, if it is close enough to hear you. The range of the PLB is all the way to the satellite. The range of the MRG is pretty much line-of-sight, not more than a mile or two, usually. They both try and save you, but using very different technologies with different values for your specific location and situation. Having both is optimum: you first go for the short-range, direct action of the MRG, and failing that go for the satellite with your PLB and hope there is a viable rescue operation near you.

So, I emailed Nautilus to ask why they did not produce a PLB that you could dive with and this is their response:

While we have no plans at the moment, it is certainly possible that we could develop a PLB in the future. As well, there have many requests for a new version of the radio, so that is also something we are taking into consideration.

This company somewhat reminds me of Shearwater. Both are Canadian and based in Vancouver (Richmond to be exact). Both produce innovative products and have good customer service. They listen to their customers. I have faith that in the next few years, we may have something great.

Now, if someone can make a reliable O2 and CO2 combo analyzer, and have good customer service, that’ll be da bomb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom