Best simple WATCH (not computer) with great illumination, easy start/stop buttons for timing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for those that gave a rec.Sorry I thought I’d get decent feedback here. Didn’t realize scubaboard is not a venue for this-more about people giving their opinions/more like a Reddi-I get it but not for me. Have a great day.
You asked for feedback, and you got it. You then indicate that you wanted feedback, not opinions, but as a former English teacher, I am having trouble understanding the difference between feedback and opinions.

It appears to me reading this thread that you have very strong opinions derived from a past, very much old-school instructional experience, and you came here looking for people to support those opinions. You should have made it clear upfront that you did not want honest opinions, and people were to give suggestions in full agreement with your unusual positions or shut up. It would have been a short thread, but you would not have been bothered by encounters with different viewpoints.

Im looking for a cheap underwater watch to use as backup/underwater timing that has a big easy to read face and easy buttons for gloves. Ive been using a casio 15$ womans digital but tough to use with gloves and would like a bigger face/better illumination.
My college student was just certified. Her course stressed bottom timer + analog gauges. I bought her a Casio G-Shock (~$50 at Walmart) to use as a dive watch. (I used one for years when I first started.)

I will probably gift her a dive computer if she continues to dive--you know, so she won't have to be a Luddite, like her old man, if she doesn't want to be. (I only dive a self-winding watch and analog gauges.)

rx7diver

Thanks for the replies and sorry should have given more info; Not new, actually trained by an old school NAUI guy (my NAUI ow included what Padi’s ow,aow and rescue covered over 6 weekends.) my instructor was also a commercial EMT diver and very into being a smart and safe always. I was taught by him that 1 dive =1 tank, no rush for dive counts ever.., and to never use a dive computer (he thought it was bad practice-turned you into an idiot diver) and I think his training def made me a really sound solid diver in general. And yes I do use a computer now (so crazy brainless! I see why it was good to do my first 2 years -mainly shore diving - without one-only got it bc we started doing liveaboards a few times a year and was required) but always have a watch attached to my gauges running backup. More out of practice than need as I would use my buddies comp if mine stopped or turn back to my watch for most dives we do.

I’m actually starting up my instructor and want a good watch i can see and use easily to time a few skills students need to demonstrate while I’m wearing 5m gloves in poor visibility with possible strong current-my home area and now kelp is really thick so it’s also pretty dark even at 25ft. I also want to be able to use the watch as a tool/training aide to use with students as an alternative to dive computer for those just starting out. Show them they don’t need to initially spend big money to start diving on fancy stuff.

I’m going to tryout any watches you guys recommend. Bring it on! and thanks.

And promise I will try to learn how to use the sb boards but there’s a lot going on here-def not easy to navigate (at least for me-sorry)
AH HAAAA!!!! Ok now your thread is making sense to us haha. Sounds good man.

You asked for feedback, and you got it. You then indicate that you wanted feedback, not opinions, but as a former English teacher, I am having trouble understanding the difference between feedback and opinions.

It appears to me reading this thread that you have very strong opinions derived from a past, very much old-school instructional experience, and you came here looking for people to support those opinions. You should have made it clear upfront that you did not want honest opinions, and people were to give suggestions in full agreement with your unusual positions or shut up. It would have been a short thread, but you would not have been bothered by encounters with different viewpoints.
Wow, this is a strong reply yet accurate and aggreable with most people I dare say. Tursiops should take a few lessons from you sir :)

vintage-scuba-divers-princeton_1_c813b62abfba89ec3d936d3a23e0bbeb.jpg

I still use this every now and then. It keeps excellent time and glows in the dark.

Attachments

• 1657841318528.png
    1657841318528.png
    226.6 KB · Views: 40

Back
Top Bottom