Watch Sized Or "full" Sized Computer ?

So..?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like my reader lenses for other things, too, like reading my compass, my SPG, wetnotes and dive slates, looking at nudibranchs and other small critters, re-tying the knot on the string that keeps me from losing my lens filter for my GoPro, etc.. Being able to see stuff that is somewhat close can be pretty handy! :D

My vision isn't so bad that I can't see a compass, SPG, etc. But my wristwatch-sized LCD display not only had tiny numbers but also poor contrast.

As for tiny critters, etc., I carry a magnifying glass. I just didn't want to have to rely on having something in my hand to see my computer.

By the way, great idea about temporarily clipping the computer to the BC at the same time as the regs when you begin to gear up. I have been keeping my Petrel in its protective case until the last minute, taking it out and placing it beside me (hoping I don't sit on it) just before donning the BC. I am going to adopt your practice.

I didn't expect so many answers ! Thanks a lot ! I'll try to go trough each and every one of them !

@Kharon : I didn't think about the small icons, you're right, thanks for pointing it out !

@Jax : I'm 22 and don't have any vision anomalies.

The Aladin is kinda small, but at the same time it's very thick. So really I never dived with a computer like the Giotto.

Thanks for the link post and computers models. I might reconsider my Cressi choice, maybe rushed that one a lil bit.

@dmaziuk : Thanks for the suggestion. What are those features you're talking about ?

@boulderjohn : It's nice to hear your personal experience, thanks a lot, I appreciate and will take this into consideration. You made a really good point.

@stuartv : Wow thanks a lot for that long answer. It's interesting to see that watch sized computers are perfect for you. Thanks for the info on algorithms, I'm not planning on diving that often, it's usually about once a week. It's very cool to know, thanks !

@Lorenzoid : One of the most interesting comments ! Such valuable info. I really get what you mean, and what you described seems like a situation I could be in. Thanks a lot !

@stuartv (2) : Nice comment, along with the one above it. Might make me buy a watch sized one. Thanks !

@Lorenzoid (2) : Intresting choice haha ! Is it also more comfortable ? I'd imagine using lenses in your mask isn't the same as not wearing anything, "feel" wise ?

@stuartv (3) : (This has become a conversation between you two but I'm just gonna comment t anyway !). You're right, the computer isn't the only thing you need to see down there.

@Jayfarmlaw : Thanks for the feedback. I'll check the computer you're talking about.

@2airishuman : Thanks for that answer, very informative. I'm tarting to change my mind about not using the computer outside of diving, seems like it could be useful for other activities.

@Centrals : That's a really good point ! I didn't think about it but indeed that an expensive piece of tech !

@stuartv (4) : Thanks, that's a useful comment.

@victorzamora : Why do you recommend turning off deep stop ? Very useful comment though, thanks !

P.S : Not an English native, hope I'm doing fine writing all those words.

*more correctly, Cressi's implementation of the algorithm is more conservative than Oceanic's implementation of their algorithm, which is more liberal. This is regarding No Decompression Limit times, and is generally not much of an issue unless you start doing multiple dives per day and especially when you're doing 3 or more. And none of that really matters if you're not doing dives where your gas lasts long enough to let you stay down for the full NDL time. I regularly stay down for the full amount of NDL time, as I use big tanks, so it matters to me.
I ran into that when barely avoiding deco in my Aeris A300 CS, but then the naughty alarm in my Cressi Leonardo (my backup) went off at the surface (I wasn't paying attention to it) and got locked up for 48 hours (making me leave it back in my room for that time). I now use the Cressi Leonardo for students to use during OW training. Tomorrow I should be receiving a Shearwater Perdix.

What I am about to describe is beyond the experience that almost anyone in this thread will ever face, but I think it serves as something of an illustration of the concept of being able to see your computer's data well.

I was recently working in the mouth area of a cave, clearing out some débris and stirring up a bit of silt in the process. I could see reasonably well until I was suddenly engulfed by a thick cloud of silt coming from farther back in the cave. This was not a problem, really--all I had to do was ascend to find the opening, and I had plenty of gas. I decided to just hang around and wait for it to clear out, which would take about 5-10 minutes. Soon I could see a Shearwater computer near me. I could easily read all 9 figures in the display. I could not see anything else.

It was not my computer. The silt had been stirred up by two divers ascending from below, and they both passed me in that very narrow passage without my ever seeing either one of them. I did not even see the arm that was wearing the computer.

But I did see that computer--clearly.

@dmaziuk : Thanks for the suggestion. What are those features you're talking about ?

Discalimer: I never used either giotto or a300, I'm going purely from descriptions. However, giotto's display appears to be identical to my leonardo's. Also note that these are minor points: the major point is getting you up safely and both computers will do that equally well. Last but not least, if you're not in the US, amazon may not work out for you and then it is all moot and you should consider local availability first. Off the top of my head and in no particular order:
  • A300 has colour bar graphs along the edges of the screen; don't know how well they work but I doubt it can be less visible than cressi's little arrows.
  • As far as I can tell on A300 you can shut the audible alarms off. Don't know if giotto lets you do that. Leonardo doesn't and they do get annoying.
  • A300 has a wet USB port. Both giotto and leonardo use the same infra-red cradle. IR is dying out and support in newer operating systems is getting sketchy.
  • A300 has a "free dive" mode that keeps track of your N2 loading (assuming air). I think it's more useful than the basic gauge mode (that both have) on a back-up computer.
  • A300 offers a choice of DSAT and Buhlmann-based "Z+" algorithms, cressi uses something RGBM-based. DSAT generates longer NDL times while RGBM-based computers are known to penalize for behaviours they consider "unsafe". This may result in noticeable difference in bottom times under some circumstances.
I have a fairly mild presbyopia compounded by CSR and I've no problem seeing the leonardo's display without reading glasses -- however, almost al my dives are in the Caribbean in bright sunlight (and on night dives I just shine a light on it).

i voted full sized based upon having a large easy to read display.

My ancient uwatec has a very large display with the important numbers being very large. it is very easy to read and requires no buttons to operate. it turns on when wet and displays every piece of information i need on the single display.

although large, it has a lower profile than my first puck computer.

Even if you have good eyes, a larger screen is easier to take in at a quick glance, particularly if contrast or backlighting is an issue on the smaller screen.

I had a Veo 2.0 which is bigger than some of the smaller watch style computers, but my 56 year old eys thank me for switching to a Petrel.

Suunto 4i works well for me; I do not need reading glasses. But, I do have my eyes on Shearwater Perdix!

My advice is to buy your dream computer and start a savings plan to get there. It is less expensive in the long run by having to upgrade a few times to get to what you want (e.g. buy your third dive computer first).

GJS

If you shop carefully your first purchase should last many yrs.
I bought my first computer Uwatec Aladin(air only) in 1996 and the nitrox version a yr later. The air only computer died last yr but the nitrox one is still doing fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom