Watch Sized Or "full" Sized Computer ?

So..?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not malfunctioning or ran out of juice. But there was one big black patch appeared on the screen covering certain critical area as I switched on the unit for the first time after a while.
i would mark that as malfunctioning. i have seen a few on ebay with black parts on the screen. i do not bid on those.

p.s. how did deep stops become part of this thread?

Yup, sorry. I certainly didn't mean to make it that way.
I don't see any reason for an apology.
Many divers probably never know there are various "diving algorithms" floating around let alone a beginner. If I was not involved with technical diving over last ~18yrs, it is more than likely that I would had never heard the "micro bubbles" theory.

Not malfunctioning or ran out of juice. But there was one big black patch appeared on the screen covering certain critical area as I switched on the unit for the first time after a while.

i would mark that as malfunctioning. i have seen a few on ebay with black parts on the screen. i do not bid on those.

Disagree that it is a malfunction - that is screen damage. Somehow, something cracked the screen grid.

EDIT Not the screen, but the underlying grid. All LCDs can be damaged that way.

I join this thread right now, and, besides any consideration than the form factor I just would prefer full size.
For sure, size does matter, and this is a fac :)
Seriously, if I had two identical (and almost perfect for my needs) computers, one full size and the other watch sized, I would slightly prefer the bigger - probably I am more polarized now than in the past (presbyopia) but I think that could not be completely matter of sight.
For example, and I'm sorry for that, because I have difficulties to explain it in English, I feel that Human Factor play a not negligible role in that, and it is not only for the clarity of the display and info shown on it, but also because, if it cannot be weared 24/7, will be cared of (or the opposite) as any other piece of equipment: It will stay with regulators, will be serviced in the same way and, will not be banged around when my friend will come asking to do a parachute jump or to climb that rocks, just because the sightseeing from there is breathtaking ...
Just my two cents ....
Then, because all computer are made different, my choice will be driven from the features I consider more important to me and then from the size, still recognizing that a beautiful design is something I will, at least, check once.

Cressi's implementation of its proprietary RGBM decompression model is the most conservative algorithm in a popular brand line. Personally, I would not choose any of the proprietary RGBM algorithms (Cressi, Mares, Suunto), though the latter two are more liberal and somewhere in the middle of the road. There have been many discussions of this topic, New Diver, New Computer See the results of the ScubaLab testing referenced in this thread.

I dive a watch size Oceanic Geo 2 as a backup for my puck size VT 3 and find them equally easy to read. The Geo 2 screen is quite clear and crisp.

Cressi's implementation of its proprietary RGBM decompression model is the most conservative algorithm in a popular brand line. Personally, I would not choose any of the proprietary RGBM algorithms (Cressi, Mares, Suunto), though the latter two are more liberal and somewhere in the middle of the road. There have been many discussions of this topic, New Diver, New Computer See the results of the ScubaLab testing referenced in this thread.
This is interesting and useful information I wasn't familiar with. I'll have to read the article you linked. But, just to clarify, my objection wasn't the level of conservatism of these computers....you can always shorten your dives to add conservatism. My issue is I don't like how they handle things like short Surface Intervals, reverse profiles, sawtooth profiles, and dives beyond NDLs.

I dive a watch size Oceanic Geo 2 as a backup for my puck size VT 3 and find them equally easy to read. The Geo 2 screen is quite clear and crisp.
I'm glad I'm not alone in finding the Geo 2.0 so easy to read.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom