Best simple WATCH (not computer) with great illumination, easy start/stop buttons for timing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Itsabeachthing

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

Im looking for a cheap underwater watch to use as backup/underwater timing that has a big easy to read face and easy buttons for gloves. Ive been using a casio 15$ womans digital but tough to use with gloves and would like a bigger face/better illumination.

I love scubaboard, but very overwhelmed where and how to post, sorry if wrong place-welcome to any guidance.

thanks!

I have a diving watch and I never wear it diving just snorkeling. If your diving computer fails just call the dive and go to surface. A watch is just more stuff to lug around. I do use two dive computers one of which is a cheap suunto. You can buy them used for cheeeep.

This subject was covered ad nauseam in this forum, check for relevant threads here:

This subject was covered ad nauseam in this forum, check for relevant threads here:

hes brand new, he wouldnt know that. Not that it matters either way. Does it really bother you? :)

hes brand new, he wouldnt know that. Not that it matters either way. Does it really bother you? :)

It is better for him to find answers there, more time efficient.

If he is new, he can learn how SB works. Matters because this is how things are organized and how different forums work. If it didn't, we would have one big massive forum for all types of posts and no need for the organization into different forums for different topics. Try doing a search for a topic or subject then.

Im looking for a cheap underwater watch to use as backup/underwater timing

Are you also carrying a backup depth gauge and printed decompression tables? Knowing your bottom time alone won't help much if your computer dies during a dive.

Since you are new, you are probably sticking pretty close to your buddy. A reasonable alternative is to call (end) the dive and surface using your buddy's computer. It is very difficult for a new diver to make a tank last long enough to get close to their NDL (No Decompression Limit) so the risk is quite low.

That will give you more time to decide if you need a watch, spare computer, or it is not necessary for the diving you want to do.

Thanks for the replies and sorry should have given more info; Not new, actually trained by an old school NAUI guy (my NAUI ow included what Padi’s ow,aow and rescue covered over 6 weekends.) my instructor was also a commercial EMT diver and very into being a smart and safe always. I was taught by him that 1 dive =1 tank, no rush for dive counts ever.., and to never use a dive computer (he thought it was bad practice-turned you into an idiot diver) and I think his training def made me a really sound solid diver in general. And yes I do use a computer now (so crazy brainless! I see why it was good to do my first 2 years -mainly shore diving - without one-only got it bc we started doing liveaboards a few times a year and was required) but always have a watch attached to my gauges running backup. More out of practice than need as I would use my buddies comp if mine stopped or turn back to my watch for most dives we do.

I’m actually starting up my instructor and want a good watch i can see and use easily to time a few skills students need to demonstrate while I’m wearing 5m gloves in poor visibility with possible strong current-my home area and now kelp is really thick so it’s also pretty dark even at 25ft. I also want to be able to use the watch as a tool/training aide to use with students as an alternative to dive computer for those just starting out. Show them they don’t need to initially spend big money to start diving on fancy stuff.

I’m going to tryout any watches you guys recommend. Bring it on! and thanks.

And promise I will try to learn how to use the sb boards but there’s a lot going on here-def not easy to navigate (at least for me-sorry)

Timex Ironman watches - you can find them on Amazon (or the reailer of your choice) for between 30 and 40 dollars. I buy the larger version because I can see it better... a great, budget friendly watch that will let you time events underwater.

Show them they don’t need to initially spend big money to start diving on fancy stuff.

Dive computers aren't "big money" these days and certainly not "fancy stuff" either. You need to do cost analysis between buying a reliable dive watch (real dive watch) and a dive computer in addition to cost per dive especially when traveling to remote dive destination vs. dive time per dive and gross cost of the dive. You will find that the cost of a dive computer is very little and in fact it will save you money.

Thank you for your opinions. I work with a lot of high school kids who will not be diving in remote places/mainly want to help out with local scientific diving/environmental studies. For most of these kids the cost of getting certified is very expensive so a 300-500$ Low end dive computer is “fancy” expensive compared to a good watch 20-40$ To start them off with. So yes the cost analysis is def there to start off with just a cheap reliable watch. The other people/adults getting basic certs I’ve found are often hard pressed to upgrade to a 900$ Computer and a 2-4k kit at many dive shops (that’s how they make their commissions) so yes there is a demographic my logic works for.-the beginning diver that doesn’t have a ton of money but wants to start diving locally. There’s plenty of time once they get more experience and passion to graduate to a computer when needed. May not work for you but works for me and my students, especially given the current economy.

I just wanted a few recs for a good regular water proof watch that’s cheap, easy to read and buttons are easy to use.

Thank you for those that gave a rec.Sorry I thought I’d get decent straight forward feedback here. Didn’t realize scubaboard is more like Reddit-I get it but not for me. Have a great day.

Back
Top Bottom