Best spot to add 4lbs to a single tank BP/W besides the waist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mtbr

Contributor
Reaction score
What's a good option to attach 4 -5 lbs. of weights to a single tank BP/W setup that doesn't require a STA?

I am leg heavy, so I want to distribute the load more towards my head.

Any thoughts on the sausage pouch that attaches to the center channel of the Back Plate via the 11" spacing?

OxyCheq Sausage Weight Pocket reviews and discounts, OxyCheq

My other option is to attach 2 weight pouches (2lbs) on my top cam band?

Which of these two options are least hassle free?

I appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

I've never tried the Oxycheq thing, but I use two XS Scuba weight pouches on my upper camband, and except for initially threading them onto the band, I'd call it wholly hassle-free.

What's a good option to attach 4 -5 lbs. of weights to a single tank BP/W setup that doesn't require a STA?

I am leg heavy, so I want to distribute the load more towards my head.

Any thoughts on the sausage pouch that attaches to the center channel of the Back Plate via the 11" spacing?

OxyCheq Sausage Weight Pocket reviews and discounts, OxyCheq

My other option is to attach 2 weight pouches (2lbs) on my top cam band?

Which of these two options are least hassle free?

I appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

Like Lynne, I use a couple of weight pockets on one of my cambands, in my case OMS pockets on my lower band. If you frequently change between tanks with different buoyancy between dives, then the weight pockets are the way to go. I'd stay away from the OMS pockets, though, as they lack drain holes. The only down side is that with two pockets you're kind of limited to making adjustments in increments of two pounds, unless you carry a 1 lb. clip on or ankle weight.

A friend of mine doesn't even bother with pockets, he just uses his old web weight belt with a couple of hard weights on it, and wraps it around the tank. But he doesn't have to change weights as I do.

Having easily removable weight also makes it easier to sling the whole monster around, especially at the end of the day if you have to carry your tank/BP/wing on your back, like from a boat to your car.

Guy

A P-weight, soft or hard, should work very well and will trim out almost exactly like a weighted STA, but without the added bulk.

You'll also see a fair number of tail-heavy sidemounters add hard weights to their shoulder straps... either directly onto the web or onto a piece of webbing that's run through a pair of keepers on the web. This works well, but because of the distance a little weight will make you significantly head-heavy.

If you've got a pair of spare 2lbers, try threading them onto your cam straps as Lynn suggested, moving them around (both on the top band, one on each band, or both on the lower band) until you trim out. If you trim well with one on each band, a P weight should be able to neaten the set-up without changing your horizontal trim; if you're still tail heavy with 4 lbs on your upper cam strap try moving them to your shoulders.
Either way, you should be able to fix the problem with <$10 in weights and some pool time.

Lynn, Guy and Muddy.

Thank you for the suggestion. I prefer the idea of being able to remove the weights, so I will give the weight pouches a try. Do suppose I could fit a pouch on each side of the to cam band?
I have a HP100 tank? I would image one of the pouch will be the the way of the cam band velcro fastener.

Lynn, Guy and Muddy.

Thank you for the suggestion. I prefer the idea of being able to remove the weights, so I will give the weight pouches a try. Do suppose I could fit a pouch on each side of the to cam band?
I have a HP100 tank? I would image one of the pouch will be the the way of the cam band velcro fastener.

XS Scuba makes 2 styles of cam band weight pouches. One you must thread through, can be a real pain for the velcro side. The other has a flap that you can connect around the cam band after you set the velcro. It is an extra buck or two, but worthwhile. The both take up to 5lb weights, I normally load 2 with 4lbs each (1 per side) with good results.

Lynn, Guy and Muddy.

Yes, you can fit a pouch on each side, and no, it's not in the way if you make sure to push it along the cam band so it's snugged up tight against your BCD or wing (that's where you want it, close to your back), and you don't have an inordinately long cam band.

I use mine with HP100 (7.25") and LP112 (8.00") tanks. If I don't slide the pocket up tight against the wing, the camband velcro will be partly covered by the slot on the pocket, so I have to work a bit to thread the end of the camband in and stick the velcro down. Simple solution is to just make sure you've slid the pockets up tight against the BCD or wing. With 8" diameter tanks I've never had a problem. If I didn't need to switch between tanks of different diameters, I'd just thread a weight keeper onto each side of the camband to keep the pockets in the right place.

Guy

I use Sea Pearl ankle weights in increments of 2lbs on the neck of the tank. Quick release, and easy to reach. Trims out well.

I've never tried the Oxycheq thing, but I use two XS Scuba weight pouches on my upper camband, and except for initially threading them onto the band, I'd call it wholly hassle-free.

I do the same except I place one on the upper tank band - left and one on the lower tank band - right. I keep them real close to the aluminum back plate and never notice that they are on different sides. This is my warm water rig. My cold water rig is a DSS plate with the screw on 8 lb plates.

I do the same except I place one on the upper tank band - left and one on the lower tank band - right. I keep them real close to the aluminum back plate and never notice that they are on different sides. This is my warm water rig. My cold water rig is a DSS plate with the screw on 8 lb plates.
I do the exact same thing as jbb: one XS Scuba weight pocket on the top band (left side) and another on the bottom band (right side) -- with pockets cinched up close to the wing/BP. I use this setup for both warm and cold water diving. This places more weight along the tank and over your spine. Essentially, it doesn't affect overall trim as much as placing an equivalent amount of weight on your waist strap. This is obviously a good thing if you have a tendency to be head up-feet down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom