Best strobe for Canon G10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BettyfromToronto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are new to underwater photography and have a Canon G10 in a Canon underwater case. Our pictures are just so-so and we`re thinking we need a strobe to imrove the picture quality. The LDS sells the SL961: SeaLife® Digital Pro Flash but I don`t want to buy it just because that is what they sell. I`ve done some searching on the forum and just got more confused. Is this strobe okay or should we seriously look at an Ikelite or Sea & Sea which would have to be ordered; sight unseen unless we can find a delaer in the Toronto area.

Any help from you experts would be muchly appreciated.

Just want to add a note that hubby doesn`t necessarily want to pay big bucks for the best; he`s looking for a good entry level strobe.

Last edited:
Betty,
the best strobe for the Canon G10/11/G12 and the S90/95 is the Inon D-2000.
If you need it as small as possible and don't mind to use the EA mode and the built in focus light,
the Inon S-2000 may be another solution.
For the missing EA mode and the focus light i suggest the D-2000.

Do a search ere and you will find tons of treads about that question and the Inon D/S 2000 series strobes.

Chris

Betty--I've been real happy using a YS110-A with my G-10. I've found that Sea & Sea makes very rugged, reliable equipment. (Not that Inon isn't a solid brand!) My 110-A gets banged around and never has been anything but reliable. Good light output and coverage, comparable to the D-2000 and, like the Inon, it has a built-in aim light. I would feel good using either strobe but I got better deal on the 110-A. If you want more of an entry level model, look at the YS-01 (Scubatoys sells for $429.95).

Let me pass along some wisdom I got early on which helped me decide. UW strobes tend to be long-term investments. If you plan to keep diving and shooting you will probably change out and/or drown your camera(s!) before you would need to buy a new flash--assuming you don't cheap out initially. If you buy a low-cost, low power, unreliable strobe and keep diving you probably will replace it sooner than you will the camera.

Good call on the need for an external strobe though. With a decent strobe you will really enjoy the camera and results much more than you do now. I am extemely happy with my setup and the strobe is a very big part of why. Below are some shots taken with my G-10 and the 110A. // ww

CaribbeanReefSquidcopy-1.jpg

Caribbean Reef Squid, Bonaire
Leaffishsmcopy.jpg

Leaf Fish, Raja Ampat

not sure if the best but I'm quite happy with D2000 used with G9 - compact and well made , the sTTL is acccurate (not working in manual mode for Canon G series) - far better than my Epoque ES230DS and Sealife SL960.
I can't compare with YS-110 as i don't have it, but I know many people love this strobe.

Just got back from two LDS and think we have narrowed down the list to the Ikelite AF35 or the SL961: SeaLife® Digital Pro Flash. Only about $10 difference in price so it`s really down to the strobes themselves. One LDS employee said the SeaLife has more power. Love the comparison capbaility at Digital Diver Network - Your source for digital underwater photography information! but it doesn`t have the Sealife so I can`t compare everything so easily.

Can anyone comment on these two strobes

Hubby is leaning towards the Sealife based on what the guy said. We need to do our research incuding asking the experts here.

Thanks!

You basically got the same general advise as all the others who ask "what is a good strobe?"
The answer is Inon or Sea & Sea and if you have an Ikelite housing with TTL, the Ikelite DS series.
These are all in the $400+ range.
For less than $400 (new), you have strobes that you will outgrow quickly if you keep taking U/W pic. Having said that, both the AF-35 and the SeaLife will improve your pictures.
When you go to sell the strobe (to upgrade) the aforementioned mid-range strobes (Inon, Sea&Sea, Ike) retain quite a bit of their value. I don't know if that is true for the lower end ones that you are looking at.
If I was going to buy one strobe right now, it would be an Inon s2000 for about $469. It is incredibly small and light and puts out a decent amount of light and it's ttl (automatic exposure) is reliable.
I have used the SL961 and the Inon s2000 is way better. I would also get a nano focus light ($40) that you can use and point independently of the strobe.

BTW , you can order with confidence from ReefPhoto, sight unseen, They will back up what they sell.
This is probably true for the other online retailers that sell Inon as well.

Last edited:
Just got back from two LDS and think we have narrowed down the list to the Ikelite AF35 or the SL961: SeaLife® Digital Pro Flash. Only about $10 difference in price so it`s really down to the strobes themselves. One LDS employee said the SeaLife has more power. Love the comparison capbaility at Digital Diver Network - Your source for digital underwater photography information! but it doesn`t have the Sealife so I can`t compare everything so easily.

Can anyone comment on these two strobes

Hubby is leaning towards the Sealife based on what the guy said. We need to do our research incuding asking the experts here.

Thanks!

Betty - I don't know how else to say this, but I do not mean offense . . .

Are you sure your LDSs have the expertise to make these recommendations?

Most stores run on a commission basis, so they try to sell you the item that is more expensive or has a greater profit margin.

The people on this forum do not have a dog in your fight . . . no reason for them to not opine honestly. FYI, I have been asking the same questions, and the Inon D-2000 and the YS-110 have been recommended over and over, by semi-pro or ought-to-be-pro photographers. (I don't know any pros.)

You basically got the same general advise that all the other who ask "what is a good strobe?"
The answer is Inon or Sea & Sea and if you have an Ikelite housing with TTL, the Ikelite DS series.
These are all in the $400+ range.
For less than $400 (new), you have strobes that you will outgrow quickly if you keep taking U/W pic. Having said that, both the AF-35 and the SeaLife will improve your pictures.
When you go to sell the strobe (to upgrade) the aforementioned mid-range strobes (Inon, Sea&Sea, Ike) retain quite a bit of their value. I don't know if that is true for the lower end ones that you are looking at.
If I was going to buy one strobe right now, it would be an Inon s2000. Its incredibly small and light and puts out a decent amount of light and it's ttl (automatic exposure) is reliable.
I have used the SL961 and the Inon s2000 for $469 is way better. I would also get a nano focus light ($40) that you can use and point independently of the strobe.

BTW , you can order with confidence from ReefPhoto, sight unseen, They will back up what they sell.
This is probably true for the other online retailers that sell Inon as well.

Why the s2000 over the d2000?

Why the s2000 over the d2000?
  • Same power
  • much smaller (about 1/2 the size)
  • much lighter (about 1/2 the weight)
  • lower price ($180 less for 2)
  • Similar light distribution (s2000 has a slighly more panoramic beam)
  • And no built in target light. Yes, I have a sola600 that I use as a video light and don't need one built into my strobe. I also have discovered that I get better results when I do not point my strobes directly at the main subject, which negates the value of having a strobe integrated target light for focusing.
Reducing the overall size and weight of my gear was important to me as I travel to dive and want to make sure that I can get my photo gear in my carry-ons.

Back
Top Bottom