Best Technical Computer in 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@dellos What is your diving experience... to what level are you trained at the moment and how many dives do you have?

Honestly plastic is probably the better case material. It is one of the reasons so many of us use it in design.

The Ratio is a good computer... as is the shearwater...

If you are going into technical diving, you should not be using AI. Analog gauges are more reliable and less of a failure point. At any rate, AI transmitters would all implode long before 200m.

'Third party' AI doesn't exist, at least not in that context, and bluetooth would not work well underwater. The frequency is far too high to penetrate water for a significant distance. For a scale of reference the current transmitter technology used by Shearwater and Oceanic is 38 kHz... while bluetooth is 2483.5 MHz which is 2483500 kHz. Low frequencies penetrate better than high ones in denser substances, like water.

So as I see, I can choose from 4 or 5 computers at this time. They are:

OSTC 4 (heard there are some problems with quality and realibility)

Divesoft (don't know lot about this computer as they don't even give info regarding decompresion model (they only say: Bühlmann’s ZHL decompression algorithm)

Shearwater Perdix (as understand it's upgraded Petrel-2 computer)

Shearwater-Petrel-2

// Scubapro G2?? Is it also a good computer? As I understand it's up to 8 gases

and las one the Ratio iX3M Tech+

Regarding AI it's not must have for me. But it's important for me to get best possible computer with good alarms and best usage as easyest and most flexible if possible.

You still haven't answered the questions a few of us have asked. Based on your profile is says you are not certified yet, and have completed 0-24 dives.

How long have you been diving?
What is your certification level?
How many dives have you completed?

You mention you will be doing dives beyond 40m in the next two months. I do not mean to be hard on you, but you should consider that you are jumping way ahead if you are indeed planning to do dives beyond the recreational limits in the near future.

Last edited:
I think the majority of the divers here(rec, tech, pro) all swear by the Shearwater products. I'm not a tech diver but I chose to use the Petrel so I can grow with the unit in the event that I go into tech full-time. Just talk to AOW or tech diver-almost everyone of them uses a Petrel.

Also, their customer service is beyond exceptional-I've reached out to them a few times with questions and they replied back within the hour.

@dellos If you are going into technical diving, you should not be using AI. Analog gauges are more reliable and less of a failure point.

I completely agree here-When I first started diving, I was allured by AI transmitters-Unfortunately I was a victim of failed signals and ultimately a gen 1 unit that failed several times. I immediately tossed AI transmitters into the deep abyss and went solid brass analog SPGs and never looked back. Sure, it may be more streamlined to have one less hose but I trust AI's as much as wiggling dead lionfish infront of a shark.

How long have you been diving?

Just started my journey to diving. It's about 4 months as for today. I'm trying to dive minimum 5 times / month on open water and spending about 3-4h per week on 5m deep pool for practice.

What is your certification level?

Right now it's AOWD + Deep Dive + Nitrox and in process of learning all informations and practice on open water too from Rescue Diver that I will be making soon on cold waters.

How many dives have you completed?

As for now 32 dives and counting...

I know that I'm looking right now for more computer that I will use, but I want to get best on Market for next 3-5 years minimum not to change it to anything new.

Regarding Petrel 2 I found some info:

What makes the Petrel/Perdix exceptional for technical divers is that it will constantly re-calculate your decompression even if planned stops are missed. This can make the unit dangerous for untrained divers, as it would permit far less than optimal ascent schedules in response to sloppy diving.

Source: The Best Technical Diving Computers 2017

If you are going into technical diving, you should not be using AI. Analog gauges are more reliable and less of a failure point. At any rate, AI transmitters would all implode long before 200m.

The AI transmitter for a Perdix AI is rated to a depth of 152m. What is your basis for saying it will implode long before 200m? I mean, yes, it might. But, do you have any actual data to support your statement? I was reading about Dave Shaw in Diving Into Darkness over the weekend. It seems to me like a lot of dive gear is only rated to 100m or 150m because that's all the rating it needs in order to sell to its intended audience. But, that doesn't mean that's all it can handle. Regardless, by the time the OP is ready to dive deeper than 150m, I reckon he would not need advice from the Internet on whether to use AI or not.

In the same vein, what is your basis for saying analog gauges are more reliable and less of a failure point?

There have been several threads about AI since the Perdix AI came out. I think it's fair to say that there are highly experience points of view that would disagree with you.

I am NOT highly experienced, but in my limited experience I have used AI way more than an SPG. And in that time, my AI has never failed. But, my 1-month old SPG blew a spool O-ring.

My AI transmitter has 2 O-rings. One in the HP port and one in the battery compartment cover.

My SPG has at least 3 (maybe 4 or 5?) O-rings and the hose itself which could burst. I have seen a decent number of posts from experienced divers talking about how relatively common it is for HP spools to blow an O-ring (like what happened to me). Not that it is COMMON, but that it's not unusual. It definitely seems more common than either O-ring on an AI transmitter leaking.

So, not only do SPGs have more failure points, all of those failure points would result in loss of gas.

In contrast, the Shearwater AI transmitter has 2 failure points and only one 1 of those would result in loss of gas - the same HP port O-ring that an SPG has.

Other possible failures are, for AI, the battery or electronics dies and the transmitter gives no reading or an erroneous reading. For an SPG, the SPG guts can have an issue and also give erroneous readings.

I have seen posts here on SB from people whose SPG gave erroneous readings. An SPG that reads falsely high is a somewhat serious safety issue. I don't recall ever seeing a post where a PPS AI transmitter (the kind used by Shearwater and many others) gave an erroneous reading. I think, if an AI transmitter isn't working correctly, it is very obvious - most likely by simply not giving a reading at all. That is a much safer situation than an SPG that sticks at 1200 when your TP is 1000.

I mean, imagine you're diving and you have an idea of what your gas is. You look at your gauge expecting to see 1000 and that it's time to turn. But, it says 1200, so you think "cool. I'm doing good on gas today, I can stay a little longer." You check a bit later and it still says 1200 and you realize it's stuck. But, now you could be at 800 psi or even less. If your buddy picks that time to go OOA (or blow an HP seat or whatever), you could be well and truly screwed by your SPG.

I'm a tech diver. I use AI and no SPG. Why "should" I not use AI?? So far, it has been a great tool for helping me understand my gas consumption - and at a much more detailed level than just "I average this much over a whole working/drift/TypeX/TypeY/TypeZ dive." And it has been 100% reliable - unlike the new SPG I bought, which has only been 99% reliable.

Regarding Petrel 2 I found some info:

What makes the Petrel/Perdix exceptional for technical divers is that it will constantly re-calculate your decompression even if planned stops are missed. This can make the unit dangerous for untrained divers, as it would permit far less than optimal ascent schedules in response to sloppy diving.

Source: The Best Technical Diving Computers 2017

Until you start doing deco dives, that is kind of irrelevant. And, you should not start doing deco dives until you get training for it.

If you do happen to go into deco at this stage of your diving, it definitely should not be more than a very few number of minutes (and which you should NOT be doing on purpose until you get the training for it). In which case, pretty much any computer will have you stopping somewhere around 3 - 6m for your mandatory deco stop and there is really not much room for a "less than optimal ascent schedule". If you rack up 5 or even 10 minutes of deco, any computer you use should get you out of the water safely, if you do what it tells you to do.

Sloppy diving is a hazard, no matter what computer you use.

In other words, that is absolutely NOT a reason to avoid buying a Petrel 2 or Perdix.

The Perdix AI is rated for 260m depth. You said before that "the pressure sensor is only rated for 152m." That is just the AI transmitter. And if you're diving past 150m on Open Circuit, you'll be carrying so many cylinders of gas, you won't be using AI anyway, so that is irrelevant. The computer itself will handle your 200m dives.

If you're going to buy new, a Perdix AI is the best tech computer you can get today - in my opinion, when you factor in everything, including customer service, tech support, and price. If you're open to buying used, than a used Perdix (non-AI) would be an excellent choice. They are available fairly cheap, it seems, from people who want to upgrade to the AI model.

The people I know, doing regular dives in the 200-300+ ft range, with several hours of deco, are all (with maybe one or two exceptions) using Shearwater products. A Shearwater should last for years (all mine have) and you won't outgrow it. I was am early adopter of the Petrel in my peer group, and after five years, it's still all I need.

The next purchase I might consider once I get back in the water (been dry for a while dues to orthopedic for ssues) is the Nerd 2. But that is a) nice-to-have and b) for CCR diving. My old Petrel 1 does everything I could need for OC tech diving.

I had the same dilemma this year, only a few weeks ago after a lot of research including downloading and reading their manuals and viewing those reviews that I could find on each from their websites and users' private channels (btw none for OSTC4), I narrowed down my choice to Perdix, OSTC4 and Ratio iX3M. I finally bought the Perdix from an official dealer not far from where I live, I dive mostly in Germany and Italy. I am very happy with my Perdix.

My native language is polish

Recently I stumbled across 2 dive computers made in Poland, one is this:

GENZ.pl - BLACK TMX trimix dive computer; OLED multi gas computer; tec diving;

The other I can't remember the name, the website had "europe" in the name I think.

I have no idea how good they are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom